Baumann DFA

ChipTait

40 minutes ago, slakattack said:

I think that I read earlier that the waiver period is 10 days?  So, one way or another, we know MB's fate by NLT Tues. 5/28?

You have ten days to try to trade him, and then you have to put him on waivers and the waiver process begins.   Although I think that you can put him on waivers before the 10 days if you have no hope of trading him????   Seems to me I've seen guy's DFA waiver process resolved in less than 10 days before.

6 minutes ago, SteveA said:

You have ten days to try to trade him, and then you have to put him on waivers and the waiver process begins.   Although I think that you can put him on waivers before the 10 days if you have no hope of trading him????   Seems to me I've seen guy's DFA waiver process resolved in less than 10 days before.

It appears its 7 days not 10. From the MLB Site - 

When a player's contract is designated for assignment -- often abbreviated "DFA" -- that player is immediately removed from his club's 40-man roster. Within seven days of the transaction (had been 10 days under the 2012-16 Collective Bargaining Agreement), the player can either be traded or placed on outright or unconditional release waivers.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

So if 2 teams want Baumann, he will be traded to the team who gives up more.  If only one team wants Baumann, they claim him and give up nothing?

They would still need to trade for him or wait for him to be placed on waivers and hope he reaches them.

3 minutes ago, Malike said:

They would still need to trade for him or wait for him to be placed on waivers and hope he reaches them.

Ok, I see.  It's 7 days to trade him.  If there's no interest he's placed on waivers. If claimed, the O's get nothing.  If not claimed, the O's can assign him to Norfolk or wherever.

Just now, OriolesMagic83 said:

Ok, I see.  It's 7 days to trade him.  If there's no interest he's placed on waivers. If claimed, the O's get nothing.  If not claimed, the O's can assign him to Norfolk or wherever.

He can refuse the assignment and opt to be a free agent.

1 minute ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

But isn't that only if he has been DFA'ed before?

Oh yeah, I thought he had more years, feels like he's been pitching for the O's for 10 years. If he had 5 years of service time he could refuse. I'd put the odds at about 0% that he isn't claimed, though.

Just now, Malike said:

Oh yeah, I thought he had more years, feels like he's been pitching for the O's for 10 years. If he had 5 years of service time he could refuse. I'd put the odds at about 0% that he isn't claimed, though.

Thanks for that knowledge.  It's definitely something I heard about 1000 times but never understood.

1 minute ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Thanks for that knowledge.  It's definitely something I heard about 1000 times but never understood.

It's pretty damn confusing to be fair.

7 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We’ll probably see Baumann traded for an A ball level player that is nowhere near being added to the 40 man. An Easton Lucas type from years ago. 

It will be interesting to see how others view him. I would think he will be claimed certainly but by how many teams? That will determine whether they get anything for him. Is there a team out there that wants him enough to give something/anything up for him?

8 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We’ll probably see Baumann traded for an A ball level player that is nowhere near being added to the 40 man. An Easton Lucas type from years ago. 

Anything more than “cash considerations” would surprise me.

15 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Anything more than “cash considerations” would surprise me.

I agree... I would love to have international slot money though. Do they still call them that with the new CBA?

2 hours ago, MCO'sFan said:

It will be interesting to see how others view him. I would think he will be claimed certainly but by how many teams? That will determine whether they get anything for him. Is there a team out there that wants him enough to give something/anything up for him?

I could see us making a trade with the Brewers for an A ball arm. We have ties with Milwaukee and a working relationship. We’ll get some arm that isn’t on the 40 man. 

• Upvote 1