O's Acquire Thyago Vieira

Posted (edited)

We may look back in a couple of years and see that Aneuris Rodriguez was a great pickup in this deal.  Then again, he could fade into obscurity. 

If our scouts loved what they've seen, and if this indeed came down to paying off Vieira's $500k contract, I'm all for "buying prospects" in deals like this.  Besides, there's a small chance that Vieira may perform well.

Edited by Greg Pappas
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Phil Beckett said:

Hi! I’m new! The orioles are cheap! 🤣

have we ever had an explanation of why our payroll is so low? 

Do you understand how ML salaries and payroll work w/r/t service time, arbitration, etc..:?

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

How do you figure that?

The O's traded someone to get him and he doesn't have options.  Both of those are downsides to trying.

Maybe it works out, maybe it doesn't but there are downsides to trying.

Ok, there is a possible downside of the person we traded being good in the future, and of them performing badly and costing us a couple wins potentially. How many of us have even heard of the guy we traded? Is that not worth doing when the FO with a history of plucking gems out of nowhere sees something in them?

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Do you understand how ML salaries and payroll work w/r/t service time, arbitration, etc..:?

I’ve watched the Angelo’s family destroy this once proud franchise and I guess we are doing a little bit better. I tend to pay more attention to the game because that’s what I like. I’m not really a big business/money kind of person that worries about money and stuff. It’s just a game.

Everything we do seems to be because it’s cheap.

we could afford to sign a Soto. Can you imagine having a seasoned veteran great hitter like that around all our young guys? He would take all the pressure off them. But only the Yankees, who are now better than us again do stuff like that.

signing Burns is one of the few times we’ve actually gone out of our way to not be cheap and look how happy everyone was. I bet everyone here would be thrilled if we started combining our youth movement spending some money. No one has ever answered why we have a low payroll. Or why we havent extended ANY of our young studs.

I do not think these young ball players are dumb and I’m sure they can see what’s going on. I wonder what they think.

Edited by Phil Beckett
Augmentation

2 minutes ago, Phil Beckett said:

I’ve watched the Angelo’s family destroy this once proud franchise and I guess we are doing a little bit better. I tend to pay more attention to the game because that’s what I like. I’m not really a big business/money kind of person that worries about money and stuff. It’s just a game.

Was acquiring Corbin Burns a cheap move?  He is making more than just about anyone else on the team.  They won 101 games last year and are winning 2 out of 3 games this year.  I wouldn’t call this franchise destroyed.  They had the highest payroll in the AL at times during Peter Angelos ownership and that didn’t translate into any Championships.   Running a baseball team is more complicated than simply how much money the owner spends.  If it wasn’t the Dodgers and Yankees would play each other every year in the World Series.

What I'd like to know is, who initiated this trade? Was this about taking a flier on Viera or getting a lottery ticket for eating Viera's contract? 

My guess it's the latter as none of Viera's pitches have much movement. He's just a guy that throws hard with little command.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Phil Beckett said:

We have one of  the league’s lowest payrolls and we’re still rolling with cheap moves?

no wonder the Yankees are a better team 

can you imagine Soto in the middle of this line up?

Soto is a douche bag, no thanks.  Can we bring back Odor for the next Yankees series to punch him in the face.

1 hour ago, Phil Beckett said:

we could afford to sign a Soto. Can you imagine having a seasoned veteran great hitter like that around all our young guys? He would take all the pressure off them. But only the Yankees, who are now better than us again do stuff like that.

signing Burns is one of the few times we’ve actually gone out of our way to not be cheap and look how happy everyone was. I bet everyone here would be thrilled if we started combining our youth movement spending some money. No one has ever answered why we have a low payroll. Or why we havent extended ANY of our young studs.

I do not think these young ball players are dumb and I’m sure they can see what’s going on. I wonder what they think.

Neither Soto nor Burnes were ‘signed’ and his off season. 

The team having a low payroll doesn’t mean it’s cheap. It means it has inexpensive players. Which is quite alright when those players are guys like Adley Rutschman and Gunnar Henderson et al. 

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

Neither Soto nor Burnes were ‘signed’ and his off season. 

The team having a low payroll doesn’t mean it’s cheap. It means it has inexpensive players. Which is quite alright when those players are guys like Adley Rutschman and Gunnar Henderson et al. 

I watched Frank Robinson hit two grand slams in one game. I don’t think you know what it’s like to follow a good team.

I know we won a 101 games last year and right now and we are at a 600 percentage but I’m seeing a lot of cracks in the wall and I’m not alone.

Edited by Phil Beckett
Augment

1 minute ago, Phil Beckett said:

Funny

years of owners making cheap moves being cheap never signing anyone good but they’re not being cheap at the same time. How does that work? And what about all the other people that agree with what I say?

I’m not alone in this and you know it

You’re a troll dude.

We have a new owner. Every single reference you’re making to being cheap is outdated and irrelevant. I don’t know what you’re trying to accomplish with your flurry of posts, but piss off. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Fiver6565 said:

You’re a troll dude.

We have a new owner. Every single reference you’re making to being cheap is outdated and irrelevant. I don’t know what you’re trying to accomplish with your flurry of posts, but piss off. 

Oh, I’m a troll. Even though I’m at echoing A LOT of Orioles fans. Maybe you need to expand your horizons.

there was lots of talk after being swept by the Texas Rangers of how we could improve this team and then I saw the usual cheap signings and desperation signings no extension for our young stars. I think we need to bring the young guys up and I wonder if they’re keeping them down because then they might have to start paying them good money and worry about extensions. Everything I see from the Orioles is cheap. 

This team could be on the cusp of being a great team for a long time, but I’m worried about some of the directions.

Edited by Phil Beckett

4 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

With a little work, Vieira could be the next Heasley.  Can we just call him Vee.  His name is too much work until he proves himself worthy of the effort of spelling it correctly.

He’s got a Top 5 first name with Thyago. 

2 hours ago, Phil Beckett said:

The Os have Gunnar for 725k this year. Do you think it would be better business to pay him 25 million dollars when they don’t have to?

• Upvote 1