O's Acquire Thyago Vieira

5 hours ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

I would agree.   For some reason Elias bro.....as good as he is....has a giant mind block when it comes to promoting your own players.  

From A to AA to AAA, it almost seems as if he would rather play vets who have struggled for years on other teams rather than players who have performed for the Os in the farm system for many year as well.  It is very strange.

Stowers and Heston and Mayo as well.  It is very strange.   It is almost as if he hates the young guns.

Or it also could be that he makes a distinction between Actual Major League Baseball Players and maybesomedaymightbemajorleaguebaseballplayersiftheygetgoodcoachingandifthingsbreakright. 

I hate it when professional judgement - rightly or wrongly - gets in the way of a convenient and damn satisfying narrative.

5 hours ago, Fiver6565 said:

First of all Stowers is in the majors. Perhaps you missed his 3 hit 4 RBI game. The reason that Heston and Mayo aren’t in the majors is because other young players are instead.   IE Cowser and Gunnar and Westburg and Stowers et al.  There are only so many roster spots  

Mayo needs work on the defensive side.  Kjerstad is straight up blocked  

This narrative that ME simply doesn’t want to play the prospects he worked so hard to accumulate is just so tired and lame. 

I think the overall point is that those prospects are being wasted. During the game thread today, it was pointed out that without steroids, the decline might be happening a little bit faster and a little steeper. I have no idea whether that’s true, but I do know that our three main outfielders are not as good this season.

So the decade from ~22 to 32 is the most important, and we’re just letting our guys sit. We’re not trading them, which we could and we’re not playing them which we could. 

I realize that we have a Catch-22 here: we can’t trade the guys on the big club because they have too little value, we can’t release them because they have too much value.

We can’t trade our prospects for equal value because the other teams are perfectly aware of our crunch and are willing to wait us out.

It’s possible that Mike is overvaluing his prospects too, but we have no way of knowing that negotiations have taken place, so I’m not going to make that accusation, especially because the Burnes trade was quite reasonable.

But using assets to best return is mikes job. Doing nothing isn’t an option, and acquiring terrible no- option relievers is not “doing something.”

I had a chance to go back and watch Veiira’s outing, which I missed earlier today.  I kind of like his fastball, 98-100 with some nice tailing action.  He didn’t command it well all the time but he did throw some nice ones and a few that just tailed a little too much armside but were close.  The slider, which he only threw 4 times, looked like a completely uncompetitive pitch.  He didn’t land one close to the strike zone and he didn’t tempt a single swing.   I wouldn’t mind seeing him one more time, if we can find some super-low leverage situation to put him in, before completely writing him off.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I had a chance to go back and watch Veiira’s outing, which I missed earlier today.  I kind of like his fastball, 98-100 with some nice tailing action.  He didn’t command it well all the time but he did throw some nice ones and a few that just tailed a little too much armside but were close.  The slider, which he only threw 4 times, looked like a completely uncompetitive pitch.  He didn’t land one close to the strike zone and he didn’t tempt a single swing.   I wouldn’t mind seeing him one more time, if we can find some super-low leverage situation to put him in, before completely writing him off.  

I don't know what the point of adding him to the roster would be if they aren't willing to give the coaching staff at least a few days to tinker with him. 

29 minutes ago, Philip said:

We can’t trade our prospects for equal value because the other teams are perfectly aware of our crunch and are willing to wait us out.

I am perfectly content to let all these "other teams" be losers for every bit as long as they think serves their best interests.  I'd also like to say I respect people and organizations who stand on principle, but in this case I really don't see the point.

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Tweaking guys is for the off-season and spring training not for when you really need guys who know what they’re doing already. Our pen is weak and this fellow doesn’t make it better, but worse. There’s nothing in his portfolio to indicate anything else.
I realize the trade was probably actually for the other guy, but this fellow could easily have been immediately designated, cleared waivers, and then added to Norfolk, and then they could play around with him all they want.

I remember when Brian Matusz was traded to the Braves along with a competitive balance pic which Dan did not value, and the Braves immediately designated him. They weren’t going to let him anywhere near a mound.

Thats what should have been done with this guy. 
Mr Vespi must be in tears, because he’s thinking “they wanted THIS guy more than me???”

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, 24fps said:

I am perfectly content to let all these "other teams" be losers for every bit as long as they think serves their best interests.  I'd also like to say I respect people and organizations who stand on principle, but in this case I really don't see the point.

Well, my personal spin on what OOO was saying is that Mike shouldn’t be adding guys like this one, and should instead be adding guys who will be a net positive. If there’s a glut, do something about the glut.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

It's admirable that you put a positive spin on things but the guy is dreadful. Look at his lifetime stats. They're not bad. They're horrible. He has no command and has never had command. Now maybe he can be coached up but that on the job training shouldn't be with a team that has WS aspirations.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

I don’t understand why everyone is so offended.  We traded for a guy with a live arm lotto ticket and got him into a game that we won 11-3. 

Go back and read the threads about Webb, Perez, Suarez, Irvin, Coloumbe, O’Hearn, Urias, and Mateo, when we acquired them. Hilarious. 

The player we traded, Stallings, was going nowhere with us. So we essentially flipped a guy that was topped out in AAA, for a younger A ball pitcher, while also picking up a flier on a guy that throws high 90s. Geez, maybe we take back that GM of the year award from Elias. 

The biggest development out of this is that we probably don’t see Vespi on the shuttle again for a bit because he’s already been optioned 4 times this year. The next time would be 5, meaning he’d have to clear waivers. So get ready for Matt Krook, or Kaleb Ort. 

Also, we had two SP hit the IL. So Elias made a little move for a flier. 😂. Man, the Facebook site can at least laugh at themselves. 

Edited by sportsfan8703
  • Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The player we traded, Stallings, was going nowhere with us. So we essentially flipped a guy that was topped out in AAA, for a younger A ball pitcher, while also picking up a flier on a guy that throws high 90s. Geez, maybe we take back that GM of the year award from Elias. 

Do you think anyone really cares which minor league player we gave up for the pitcher currently on the major league roster who we never want to see take the mound?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I don’t understand why everyone is so offended.  We traded for a guy with a live arm lotto ticket and got him into a game that we won 11-3. 

Walking the first three guys you see when you nave an 11-0 lead is pretty offensive.  The one thing you have to do in a game like that is make the other team swing the bat.  Throw strikes and make the other guys earn their way on base.  It’s Baseball 101.  

Was at the game yesterday and Vieira did throw hard. And a couple were close. But I did notice Hyde getting agitated. On the last walk Hyde was out of the dugout before the ball was in Adleys mitt. 

I thought his outing was comical.  I can't understand how you can show up like that.  Just wasn't remotely competitive.

However

I have absolutely no problem with Mike Elias bringing this guy in.  Fix the guy and turn him into something.  Or at least try it.  No issue with the move.

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

Not me. He's a guy I'd DFA and see if I can get him to Norfolk to work on things. But at his age, he's pretty much what he is and that's a guy with a good arm and no idea where it's going.