Jazz Chisolm Trade?

7 minutes ago, Philip said:

The question is not about Toronto, Boston, or Tampa, but New York. We’re chasing them, and we need to do everything we can to catch them, because they aren’t slowing down.

THIS.   Our philosophy might work against tanking teams like the CWS, but not the top tier teams who invest heavily in their resources 

Time to send that billionaire money for 1-2 bats and 2 decent relievers!💰

18 minutes ago, GunnarBomb said:

THIS.   Our philosophy might work against tanking teams like the CWS, but not the top tier teams who invest heavily in their resources 

Dude I hope that you are not doing what I’m starting to suspect that you are doing.

Yesterday a poster gets put on timeout with a suspicious account and posting history. Spouting things like “the billionaire” has to spend money and not be cheap when he hasn’t even been in charge for a full 2 months.

Now you show up saying the same ridiculous things about the owner spending money when he hasn’t even had an offseason let alone a trade deadline. 

I’m not accusing you of anything but I seriously hope that you are not in any way associated with the awful John Angelos.

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

Dude I hope that you are not doing what I’m starting to suspect that you are doing.

Yesterday a poster gets put on timeout with a suspicious account and posting history. Spouting things like “the billionaire” has to spend money and not be cheap when he hasn’t even been in charge for a full 2 months.

Now you show up saying the same ridiculous things about the owner spending money when he hasn’t even had an offseason let alone a trade deadline. 

I’m not accusing you of anything but I seriously hope that you are not in any way associated with the awful John Angelos.

Most definitely not.   Just stating the facts.

41 minutes ago, Philip said:

The question is not about Toronto, Boston, or Tampa, but New York. We’re chasing them, and we need to do everything we can to catch them, because they aren’t slowing down.

Why do we have to do everything we can to catch NY? Getting into the playoffs should be the goal not catching NY. We don't need to catch them for us to get into the playoffs.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

No. That’s not what the poster said. He was talking about how daunting the AL East is/will be. 

We don’t have to “catch” the Yankees in order to be in the playoffs.

No, but we have to catch NY to win the division. I don’t care about the guys behind us, but catching the Yankees will be daunting. So in that sense, the comment was accurate. And winning the division is important. 

Not just because I hate the Yankees, but because winning the division means we get a bye, we only have to play one series to get to the pennant series, and because I hate the Yankees.

A WC is an acceptable consolation prize, but I want the division, and that should be the goal. And it will be daunting.

And I hate the Yankees.

Not keen on the Bosox either.

34 minutes ago, Malike said:

Why do we have to do everything we can to catch NY? Getting into the playoffs should be the goal not catching NY. We don't need to catch them for us to get into the playoffs.

Don’t you think we should do everything to catch NY? Winning games is the goal of baseball. Sliding in as 2WC, which is where we are now depending on how KC does today, would be a huge disappointment after so many had us winning the division. You wouldn’t be disappointed if NY won the division? You don’t think we should do anything within reason to win the division? 

I mentioned this in my previous post, but the advantages to winning the division are obvious, plus, if we win the division, the Yankees don’t, and frankly, if we don’t win the division, it probably indicates some kind of flaw in our roster that never got adequately addressed.

13 minutes ago, Philip said:

Don’t you think we should do everything to catch NY? Winning games is the goal of baseball. Sliding in as 2WC, which is where we are now depending on how KC does today, would be a huge disappointment after so many had us winning the division. You wouldn’t be disappointed if NY won the division? You don’t think we should do anything within reason to win the division? 

I mentioned this in my previous post, but the advantages to winning the division are obvious, plus, if we win the division, the Yankees don’t, and frankly, if we don’t win the division, it probably indicates some kind of flaw in our roster that never got adequately addressed.

Neither of last years WS teams won their division and both started the playoffs with a road series. No, we don’t have to win the division at all. We don’t even have to be WC1. The playoffs are and should be the goal, with winning the division a nice bonus if it happens. 

Plus we’re behind by what, 2 games right now?  And that’s with the Yankees kind of playing out of their minds since they left Baltimore a month ago (after losing 3 out of 4 to our supposedly inferior team, by the way).  

You upgrade the bullpen, because that is what will matter when the playoffs start. Good starts from our top pitchers, and three lockdown BP guys to finish games. We have 1 maybe 2, depending on how you feel about Cano and/or Coloumbe (Kimbrel has to count as the 1 certainty, at this time). We need at least 1 if not 2 sure thing pickups in the pen - whether that’s a trade, or a call up of someone like McDermott or Strowd in time to establish themselves. 

If we trade usable assets for a position player, it would be pretty irritating. 

25 minutes ago, Philip said:

No, but we have to catch NY to win the division. I don’t care about the guys behind us, but catching the Yankees will be daunting. So in that sense, the comment was accurate. And winning the division is important. 

Not just because I hate the Yankees, but because winning the division means we get a bye, we only have to play one series to get to the pennant series, and because I hate the Yankees.

A WC is an acceptable consolation prize, but I want the division, and that should be the goal. And it will be daunting.

And I hate the Yankees.

Not keen on the Bosox either.

If we don’t win the division we will still be in the playoffs which is most important. We had the bye last season and won a total of ZERO postseason games.

How you perform in the playoffs is most important not whether or not you have a bye or who you play.

I feel about the Yankees the same way I feel about the other 28 teams, which is nothing. They are just another team in our way.

2 hours ago, GunnarBomb said:

Hi GunnarBomb.  Welcome to the OH.  Ever been to Alaska?

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Philip said:

No, I don't think they need to worry about doing everything to catch the NYY. In the past two years 1 team, 1 team that won the division went to the WS. In 2022 PHI went there with 87 wins against the Astros who were the only team in the past two years to win the division and end up in the WS. 

The bye did a whole hell of a lot of good for the teams that have had it in the past two years. The Yankees are a year removed from 99 wins, they had a bad year last year, but it's not like they are suddenly good after being a bad team, they won the division in 2022 and got sent packing. The DBacks won 84 games last year and went to the WS.

The Dodgers won 100 games last year, they won the division by 16 games and got swept by an 84-win team. Do you think the DBacks care that they didn't win the division? I get it, the Yankees are the devil, so what, you don't need to "do everything you can to catch the Yankees" you need to get in the playoffs and get hot at the right time.

Edited by Malike
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Fiver6565 said:

Neither of last years WS teams won their division and both started the playoffs with a road series. No, we don’t have to win the division at all. We don’t even have to be WC1. The playoffs are and should be the goal, with winning the division a nice bonus if it happens. 

Plus we’re behind by what, 2 games right now?  And that’s with the Yankees kind of playing out of their minds since they left Baltimore a month ago (after losing 3 out of 4 to our supposedly inferior team, by the way).  

You upgrade the bullpen, because that is what will matter when the playoffs start. Good starts from our top pitchers, and three lockdown BP guys to finish games. We have 1 maybe 2, depending on how you feel about Cano and/or Coloumbe (Kimbrel has to count as the 1 certainty, at this time). We need at least 1 if not 2 sure thing pickups in the pen - whether that’s a trade, or a call up of someone like McDermott or Strowd in time to establish themselves. 

If we trade usable assets for a position player, it would be pretty irritating. 

I understand everything you said, but still, the division is the goal. If we sneak in as a wildcard, that’s better than nothing, but the division is the goal. It should be the goal. Nobody should be striving for third best.

Now I know you’re going to come back and say that nobody is suggesting striving for third best, but reread what you wrote? 
“ the playoffs is the goal…”

No, the goal is the Division. the playoffs are a given, unless we have some terrible catastrophe that is so unlikely as to be statistically 0% .

it is wrong to think of the division as merely a pleasant bonus once we have reached our “goal.”

And yes, I don’t think we need to buy a position player, I don’t think I was advocating that, unless it’s somebody we can pick up for very little who is a clear and present upgrade .

My personal worry is that Mike will decide to pluck some Nobody off waivers instead of using the guys we have here but what we really need a solid reliever or three, and Fuji is not what we need.

56 minutes ago, Malike said:

No, I don't think they need to worry about doing everything to catch the NYY. In the past two years 1 team, 1 team that won the division went to the WS. In 2022 PHI went there with 87 wins against the Astros who were the only team in the past two years to win the division and end up in the WS. 

The bye did a whole hell of a lot of good for the teams that have had it in the past two years. The Yankees are a year removed from 99 wins, they had a bad year last year, but it's not like they are suddenly good after being a bad team, they won the division in 2022 and got sent packing. The DBacks won 84 games last year and went to the WS.

The Dodgers won 100 games last year, they won the division by 16 games and got swept by an 84-win team. Do you think the DBacks care that they didn't win the division? I get it, the Yankees are the devil, so what, you don't need to "do everything you can to catch the Yankees" you need to get in the playoffs and get hot at the right time.

I understand that anything can happen in the playoffs, but doesn’t that make it more imperative to get a bye so that we can avoid the lightning in the bottle teams, and rest while other teams bludgeon each other?

Why yes it is more imperative. Therefore we need to win the division, and that should be the goal.

Are you really saying that if we, say, clinch a playoff spot with 15 games remaining we should just all of a sudden start resting guys and start playing backups because we reached our goal?

No, I don’t think you are.

Posted (edited)

I would rather win the division than not.  And I think the odds are pretty good.   What does it mean to “do everything possible?”   If there are moves we could make that would seriously impair our competitive position in future years, but would marginally improve our chances of beating the Yankees this year, should we do them?  I’d say, if we are likely to make the playoffs anyway, we shouldn’t make those kind of moves just to try to win the AL East.   

Edited by Frobby

11 minutes ago, Philip said:

I understand that anything can happen in the playoffs, but doesn’t that make it more imperative to get a bye so that we can avoid the lightning in the bottle teams, and rest while other teams bludgeon each other?

Why yes it is more imperative. Therefore we need to win the division, and that should be the goal.

Are you really saying that if we, say, clinch a playoff spot with 15 games remaining we should just all of a sudden start resting guys and start playing backups because we reached our goal?

No, I don’t think you are.

If we win 105 games like the pace we are on now and the Yankees win 106 or more it wouldn’t mean there is a flaw on the Oriole roster just that the Yankees had an overall better one.  Lets win as many games and see what happens but if we don’t win the division the ultimate goal of the season is still well within reach.