The 2024 Trade Deadline

45 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I agree to a certain extent. I think Houston’s success is part good fortune and part mindset. They had success and let it snowball to the point where they believe more than most. 

I think we already have the elite talent necessary to win a WS. It’s just a matter of getting them the needed experience. 

We do not have the pitching talent necessary (in particular with the Bradish injury) to win a World Series IMO. Even if you believe in Rodriguez starting a game 2, who do we have that can credibly start a game 3 that you would feel confident in? And that doesn’t even mention the back end of the bullpen.

1 hour ago, casadeozo said:

Resigning him defeats the entire purpose of having Mayo, and Basallo.

I would imagine it’s less than a 10% chance we resign Santander, and even smaller chance we trade anyone in the top 3. 

If you are that dogmatic about retaining prospects, what is the plan to acquire an adequate replacement for Bradish and add the necessary talent at the back end of the bullpen? 

Also, why so closed to resigning Santander? He is very productive, consistently puts up numbers, is showing no signs of falling off, and will be cheapish and able to be signed to a shorter term deal. Am I missing something?

If you resign him, it makes it a lot easier to trade one of Basallo/Mayo. Obviously that is not ideal, but it wasn’t ideal for Bradish to get hurt. I don’t think that we can win a World Series this season as is. Do you?

No one wants to hear this, but we have a very good bullpen. 3rd in the AL per Fangraphs.

I still want to add to it of course, but lots of teams would kill to have 3.50 ERA type guys like Keegan Akin, Cionel Perez, or Jacob Webb. They're taken for granted here in my opinion.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I think they can legitimately improve the bullpen without giving up the big 3/4. 

You want a real good SP or perhaps a Mason Milller? That’s where the top prospects come into play.  

That’s probably what it is going to take in order for us to succeed through multiple rounds in October. We do not have a credible game three starter at this point.

Would you be confident in Irvin/Suarez (who has ZERO quality starts on the entire season)/Kremer out pitching Rodon.

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

No Mookie or no Yamamoto suddenly for LAD could shake their outlook some.    Joey Ortiz's Brewers might challenge them for that bye.

When did the Brewers become rookie Joey Ortiz’s team? I must have missed something.

3 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

That’s probably what it is going to take in order for us to succeed through multiple rounds in October. We do not have a credible game three starter at this point.

Would you be confident in Irvin/Suarez (who has ZERO quality starts on the entire season)/Kremer out pitching Rodon.

I would love to upgrade the #3 spot. I pointed out last year what Texas did though mainly riding 2 starters.  

It’s a nuanced question. Do you value the arm enough to move a top prospect for? How long do you have the arm under team control?  Elias will not move a top prospect for a marginal improvement over say Kremer/Irvin. 

How many available arms are worth the top prospects? What teams are still in it in 6 weeks? How many more SP on all teams get hurt between now and then?

10 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Be prepared to be disappointed.  

15 minutes ago, luismatos4prez said:

No one wants to hear this, but we have a very good bullpen. 3rd in the AL per Fangraphs.

I still want to add to it of course, but lots of teams would kill to have 3.50 ERA type guys like Keegan Akin, Cionel Perez, or Jacob Webb. They're taken for granted here in my opinion.

Watching this weekend, the only game that we lost was the game that became the battle of the bullpens. The Phillies 4/5th reliever has better stuff than our best guy. 

If you watched this series and said to yourself our relievers are better than theirs, then I’m not sure what you were watching. The same talent gap in the bullpen will exists in the next series. 

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Be prepared to be disappointed.  

I guess we will see. But if we don’t improve the team’s pitching, it is very likely that we all will be disappointed in October (like last postseason). You gotta have the horses to win the race.

6 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

I know Kjerstad is our fourth rated prospect. 

I wouldn’t be so dismissive about resigning Santander. He certainly will be affordable and it won’t need to be a super longterm contract.  And most of all, he produces consistently.

Maybe for one year QO, Yes big time bat. I floated youre same line of thinking with Mounty a couple of weeks ago. Tie him up for the next 5 years and use youre prospects to acquire pitching. I got a very severe scolding from SG. 

Just now, Bemorewins said:

Watching this weekend, the only game that we lost was the game that became the battle of the bullpens. The Phillies 4/5th reliever has better stuff than our best guy. 

If you watched this series and said to yourself our relievers are better than theirs, then I’m not sure what you were watching. The same talent gap in the bullpen will exists in the next series. 

They have an outstanding bullpen, definitely better than ours. That doesn't disagree with anything I said.

3 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Yankees pen is not dominant.  

8 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I would love to upgrade the #3 spot. I pointed out last year what Texas did though mainly riding 2 starters.  

It’s a nuanced question. Do you value the arm enough to move a top prospect for? How long do you have the arm under team control?  Elias will not move a top prospect for a marginal improvement over say Kremer/Irvin. 

How many available arms are worth the top prospects? What teams are still in it in 6 weeks? How many more SP on all teams get hurt between now and then?

Miller nor Crochet (for example) are “marginal improvements” they are the kind of talents that can move the needle.

Nobody is suggesting nor expecting that the O’s are going to trade top tier prospects for non-difference making players. But we hoarded/hedged last deadline and for much of the offseason. Now we have the expected scenario, too much position player talent in the org and not enough pitching talent.  

5 hours ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

If I am the Os and not sold on JH as a Super Star after his struggles this season so far, I really really consider trading him for a bonanza. 

It would take a lot, but I would consider it. 

Dont know that Im all  in on that but he sure looked over matched

4 minutes ago, Safelykept said:

Maybe for one year QO, Yes big time bat. I floated youre same line of thinking with Mounty a couple of weeks ago. Tie him up for the next 5 years and use youre prospects to acquire pitching. I got a very severe scolding from SG. 

I would rather invest in Santander. IMO he is the better hitter.