The 2024 Trade Deadline

56 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I think the Tigers would be very wise to sell high. IMO holding him for another season lowers his value because it only lessens his time until FA AND it increases the possibility of him being hurt between now and then. And then they get nothing. 

IMO either way, they are not built set up to win a World Series with him (in the 2 1/2 seasons that they have left on his contract). They don't have nearly enough offense and their best position player prospects are in A ball.

Now on to your Elias point, I agree that he has been very patient and slow moving. But I think the time has come where the stakes are much higher and he is going to have to be much more decisive. There is now an opportunity cost to doing nothing/very little/hedging.

Based on your logic, the Tigers just start process of selling Skubal to rebuild their farm system. But their ownership & FO might have their timelines , the deadline ?  The offseason ?   We will see how it unfold .  As for Elias’s deadline decisions, I would like think he would be more active and bold than last deadline . Again we will see how it would unfolds 

ESPN pregame Buster Olney reported Red Sox giving clubs the vibe they are "undecided".

SP also reported as their #1 need if they buy.   

I do believe the 2024 Red Sox "weren't meant" to be this good, and I'm curious to see the line they take.

3 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

ESPN pregame Buster Olney reported Red Sox giving clubs the vibe they are "undecided".

SP also reported as their #1 need if they buy.   

I do believe the 2024 Red Sox "weren't meant" to be this good, and I'm curious to see the line they take.

That would be funny if they tank their own chances.

Kenley Jansen anyone? 🤔

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

Really …. I remember guys on your board bashing Ortiz, calling him old, and even changed his first name in a few posts. Although I can’t remember what they were calling him. Saying he wasn’t a good fit for the White Sox. 

Nicky Ortiz, referencing Nicky Lopez.

11 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

Does Kimbrel's recent run reduce our need to trade for a closer?  Clearly we need help in the bullpen, but perhaps a couple of trustworthy setup men (one lefty, one righty) would suffice.  

High leverage relievers are the same whether closer or set up in my book, so no.

The choice is on the manager which one closes.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

When do you think Elias makes a move? Sooner or closer to the deadline?

He was on the Norfolk broadcast during last week and said obviously we want pitching but it takes two to make a deal. Not a lot of sellers out there right now. Last year we picked up Flaherty on deadline day. 

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

He was on the Norfolk broadcast during last week and said obviously we want pitching but it takes two to make a deal. Not a lot of sellers out there right now. Last year we picked up Flaherty on deadline day. 

Yea but they struck early with Fuji!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

High leverage relievers are the same whether closer or set up in my book, so no.

Leclerc from Texas was their main reliever last year in the playoffs and didn’t close. 

We could just repeat Texas’ recipe and get Chapman and Leclerc. Both rentals. 

4 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

True but puts a dent in having to find multiple relievers, they do need another good especially if Danny cant get back.

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Leclerc from Texas was their main reliever last year in the playoffs and didn’t close. 

We could just repeat Texas’ recipe and get Chapman and Leclerc. Both rentals. 

I don't want Chapman and Leclerc has 5.4 BB/9 this season.

But some version of that, sure.

2 minutes ago, Safelykept said:

True but puts a dent in having to find multiple relievers, they do need another good especially if Danny cant get back.

It opens up more choices.  They can look at both closers and non-closers.  It will depend on contract and trade price on a case-by-case basis.

1 minute ago, 25 Nuggets said:

It opens up more choices.  They can look at both closers and non-closers.  It will depend on contract and trade price on a case-by-case basis.

I’ve mentioned Cleavinger and Kelly, from Tampa who are both 30 something guys that could be on the move as the Rays are selling.