The 2024 Trade Deadline

2 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Where is the Dodgers version of Holliday, Mayo, Basallo?

If that is what the Tigers are requesting from the O’s are the then going to turn around and take much less from the Dodgers?

I don’t think they have it but someone like Gavin Stone will interest teams.

2 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

I don’t think they have it but someone like Gavin Stone will interest teams.

Why would the Tigers be enticed enough by Stone to move Skubal? They have a much better pitching prospect than Stone parked at AAA ready to take Skubal’s spot in the rotation in the event of departure. But what the Tigers don’t have is enough offense or Major League ready position prospects.

I wonder if it is fair to guess between Skubal and Crochet that Dodgers capacity to absorb and write off Javier Baez gives Friedman an edge on Elias for Skubal, but the White Sox being a multi-year rebuild needing to broaden its talent base give Elias an edge on Friedman for Crochet.

Crochet doesn't have the innings platform, but pedigree and overall health, he has some advantages on Skubal.

ESPN David Schoenfield's guess this morning is Crochet to Orioles is one of the market setting dominoes.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/40625692/mlb-trade-deadline-2024-dominoes-market-crochet-robert-flaherty-arozarena

Flaherty LAD, L. Robert PHI, Fedde HOU, Scott NYY, Rooker KCR, Arozarena ATL, Eflin MIN, Finnegan SEA some of the other guesses.

Jazz Chisholm to Orioles seems like a very poor guess to me.

A question I have is how much does this Mateo injury affect our trade deadline? If he's out for the season, Holliday is definitely off the block because they need coverage at 2B/SS. Norby is here for now since they're still playing it safe with Holliday's injury. But what if Holliday struggles again, they might want to keep Norby around just in case. 

So it kind of feels like Mateo's injury takes Norby off the block when he was a really good bet to help nab a pitcher. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I wonder if it is fair to guess between Skubal and Crochet that Dodgers capacity to absorb and write off Javier Baez gives Friedman an edge on Elias for Skubal, but the White Sox being a multi-year rebuild needing to broaden its talent base give Elias an edge on Friedman for Crochet.

Crochet doesn't have the innings platform, but pedigree and overall health, he has some advantages on Skubal.

ESPN David Schoenfield's guess this morning is Crochet to Orioles is one of the market setting dominoes.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/40625692/mlb-trade-deadline-2024-dominoes-market-crochet-robert-flaherty-arozarena

Flaherty LAD, L. Robert PHI, Fedde HOU, Scott NYY, Rooker KCR, Arozarena ATL, Eflin MIN, Finnegan SEA some of the other guesses.

Yeah Jazz makes zero sense. He’s not enough of an upgrade over Mullins and he also hits lefty

37 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Would the Phillies have any interest in Mullins and a prospect like Stowers for a Dominguez or Soto?

There was an article recently that connected the Phillies to Mullins but I don't think it speculated on the return or if anyone else would be included.

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

I don’t get that at all. The fit makes no sense

I am beginning to think that the price tag for Skubal is more than we should give up right now.  I question how useful Crochet would actually be for us this year given the amount of innings he has already thrown this season and his history.  I like some SP options the Rangers have but they are winning now and do not look like they will be selling.

So who should Elias focus on? IMO, Blake Snell

The Giants have gone 3-7 in their last 10 games and are now 5 games back of the last wild card spot.  Snell has some back loaded money on his Contract that is obviously something to consider but I think the Orioles should have some payroll flexibility that should allow them to take this on.  He has an option for next year of 30M.

Snell did not get off to a great start this year but that is pretty typical when guys wait until late in spring training to sign.  In his last 3 starts Snell has avg 6IP per start and only given up 2ER.

I don't know what exactly it would take to acquire Snell but I believe it will be considerably less than Skubal or Crochet.  Most likely could swing a deal not giving up any of the big 4.

I actually like the idea of trading for Jazz Chisolm for our OF mix for the next few all-in seasons since he has the speed to cover CF or LF in OPACY. I really think the guy could be a superstar in a better run organization like the Orioles. 

They need bats really badly, so maybe try to package a few of the blocked guys like Stowers and Norby with a couple of prospects, maybe Beavers and a pitcher they like, for Jazz and Scott?

Robbie Ray debuts for the Giants tonight.  https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=ray---001rob

Even with the Giants loss last night to the Dodgers, they're probably pot committed to chasing a playoff spot with the money invested in Webb, Snell, and Ray.  I did not know Ray was so close to a return.  I doubt they sell.  5 GB in WC

The Rangers are in a similar boat in the NL.  Only 3 GB in the AL West.

Point being, it's hard to buy when there's just not that many options.

TEX 2-0, HOU 0-2, SEA 0-2 last 48 hours has their division deficit down to 3 - whatever small crack may have existed earlier this month I think we can say for sure is closed now (aka @Malike has been right all along).

AL West so lukewarm - are the Angels and Athletics even out of it?     It was sad to see Trout only made it two innings in his first rehab game last night.

1 hour ago, interloper said:

A question I have is how much does this Mateo injury affect our trade deadline? If he's out for the season, Holliday is definitely off the block because they need coverage at 2B/SS. Norby is here for now since they're still playing it safe with Holliday's injury. But what if Holliday struggles again, they might want to keep Norby around just in case. 

So it kind of feels like Mateo's injury takes Norby off the block when he was a really good bet to help nab a pitcher. 

I don't think so. We are loaded with infielders. Mateo changes nothing. Thankfully our "26th man" was hurt. (I guess you could say 25th, with Ortiz being 26th)