The 2024 Trade Deadline

1 hour ago, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

I think Mason Miller is a fantastic fit. I’m nervous what he will cost, but maybe it’s time for such an expenditure. 

I'm talking myself into it looking at Miller's performance and the Orioles mounting pitching injuries.

image.thumb.png.515e2a24f45c8ac30e34ab1e44a6e78a.png

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s

If I’m Elias I’m trying to get a Luzardo and Nardi/Scott package.

Guessing we can semi buy low with both having inflated ERAs. I’d imagine we wouldn’t have to offer Mayo or Basallo. 

I’d start with Kjerstad/Norby/mcDermott. 

Edited by casadeozo

2 hours ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

I’d be interested in Framber. First because of his 64% ground ball rate and our IF defense. Second for his postseason experience. He may not be CY Young pitcher 2 years ago but he’s not that far off either.

I wanted to try to trade for Framber before the season started. I prefer Burnes, but having both Valdez and Burnes in the same rotation would be excellent for the playoffs. Especially now that we've lost Bradish and Means.  I think we have enough depth for now to survive in the regular season with Suarez, Povich Irvin, and Kremer, but those guys also don't get much length and might be taxing on the bullpen and when we get to the post season I'd want someone we can have more confidence in when they face the best hitters in baseball in an elimination series. Framber Valdez has that experience and he's the left hander we need.

I'm back on board with Miller, because there are only so many elite players out there available for trade and we can use pitching help in every way possible. I'm not sure we can afford to trade both an elite bullpen arm (Miller) AND an elite starter, even if that's what we need. That is unless we are OK with trading Mayo and Basallo, and probably Kjerstad too.

12 minutes ago, G54377 said:

I'm back on board with Miller, because there are only so many elite players out there available for trade and we can use pitching help in every way possible. I'm not sure we can afford to trade both an elite bullpen arm (Miller) AND an elite starter, even if that's what we need. That is unless we are OK with trading Mayo and Basallo, and probably Kjerstad too.

We’re not

9 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I wanted to try to trade for Framber before the season started. I prefer Burnes, but having both Valdez and Burnes in the same rotation would be excellent for the playoffs. Especially now that we've lost Bradish and Means.  I think we have enough depth for now to survive in the regular season with Suarez, Povich Irvin, and Kremer, but those guys also don't get much length and might be taxing on the bullpen and when we get to the post season I'd want someone we can have more confidence in when they face the best hitters in baseball in an elimination series. Framber Valdez has that experience and he's the left hander we need.

I noticed Framber is controlled for 2025 as well.  He's having a slight down year just taking a quick look at his stats.  Would definitely be an option if the O's can get him w/o giving up Mayo or Basallo.  Houston is 6 1/2 games back in the wild card.  5 teams are between 5 1/2 ans 6 1/2 games back.  Expect more sellers in the coming weeks as more of these teams fall out of contention.

Question: If we re-sign Santander to the kind of reasonable/affordable contract that it will require, do we need to employ a strategy for the trade deadline that insists on retaining both Mayo and Basallo at all costs?

33 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Question: If we re-sign Santander to the kind of reasonable/affordable contract that it will require, do we need to employ a strategy for the trade deadline that insists on retaining both Mayo and Basallo at all costs?

If we re-sign Santander I will be floored. Same with Burnes.

3 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

If we re-sign Santander I will be floored. Same with Burnes.

Those are two totally different price points. One will be less than 50 mill total. The other will 30-40 mill a season.

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

Those are two totally different price points. One will be less than 50 mill total. The other will 30-40 mill a season.

Given the OF logjam in the system I think Santander walks.

It's more the length of the deal than the total dollars. 

5 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Given the OF logjam in the system I think Santander walks.

It's more the length of the deal than the total dollars. 

But unlike Santander, some of that you talent can help us balance the talent equation on the big league roster to sustain championship contention. This season and in future foreseeable seasons, we don’t need improvement on Santander’s production. What we need and will need is the requisite effective pitcher in order to be successful in October.

54 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I don't see how he has much impact on Mayo and Basallo. It did occur to me that Santander has some skill set similarities to Nelson Cruz. But if we were planning to lock him up, (a) we would need to do it now, like in the next couple weeks, and (b) he would make Kjerstad and Norby expendable more so than Mayo/Basallo. 

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I don't see how he has much impact on Mayo and Basallo. It did occur to me that Santander has some skill set similarities to Nelson Cruz. But if we were planning to lock him up, (a) we would need to do it now, like in the next couple weeks, and (b) he would make Kjerstad and Norby expendable more so than Mayo/Basallo. 

I don’t agree that we will need to “lock him up in the next couple of weeks”. The contract won’t be large enough to spin out of control on the open market. 

Basallo, Mayo, and Santander all have similar skill sets. Basallo is going to have to play 1B/DH/back up C at the big league level. Mayo we are not really sure about his position (if he can handle any well). One thing is for almost certain, one of Mayo or Holliday will have to move out of the infield (as currently constructed) unless you are getting rid of Mountcastle next season.

Norby is already expendable, thus why he is still at AAA. If they believed that he had a place here long term, he would have stayed in the Majors. But it seems the plan is that 2B will be Holliday’s at latest starting next season.

I'd be interested to target David Bednar. The Pirates are still in the WC race, but their offense is horrendous. They have some other bullpen arms to absorb losing him. I think he's an ideal buy low option after he had a disastrous start to the season. Especially if we use our prime trade chips for a starter. The Pirates could use some offensive juice. Seems like a good match.