Cade Povich 2024

Pickles

I didn’t think Povich was too awful last night, facing a nearly all right-handed lineup in the Fenway bandbox.   Obviously the back to back homers were on bad pitches, and really, the whole 3rd inning was kind of rough.  But Povich bounced back nicely from that inning and did a nice job in the 4th and 5th until Hyde pulled him after a two-out walk in the 5th.   I’d call this one to grow on.  

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I didn’t think Povich was too awful last night, facing a nearly all right-handed lineup in the Fenway bandbox.   Obviously the back to back homers were on bad pitches, and really, the whole 3rd inning was kind of rough.  But Povich bounced back nicely from that inning and did a nice job in the 4th and 5th until Hyde pulled him after a two-out walk in the 5th.   I’d call this one to grow on.  

I agree. Thought he looked pretty solid and pitch efficient aside from the 3rd.

Overall, I’ve been happy with Cade’s growth this year. He’s tremendously cut down on walks, and they’re still working on mixing pitches and working on individual pitches as well. I do agree that the pitches hit for dingers were poor pitch choices and execution, but otherwise…he kept them in it. Bullpen imploded, of course. And the offense stunk. 

33 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Amazing how we have lowered our standards, 4 runs in 4.2, 5 hits, 2 walks, 2HRs is not "too awful" 

• 3 weeks later...

In his most important start of the season, Povich pitched his best game of the season.  He may or may not be on the post season roster but I think he has pitched his way into the Orioles' plans next season.  Guys like Mark Buerhle have given the O's fits for years and I like the idea of having a guy like that in the O's rotation.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Moshagge3 said:

Love the results from Povich, but I have to be the downer here and note that the Twins are ice cold. I think Povich left a lot of pitches up that he got away with.

I like the  Twins they are my second favorite team behind the Orioles so I follow them as well and believe me they've been colder than my freezer. With that said Povich has been better this go around then he was the first time he came up. Also I'm sure he had a little bit more motivation tonight going against his former organization. 

26 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

In his most important start of the season, Povich pitched his best game of the season.  He may or may not be on the post season roster but I think he has pitched his way into the Orioles' plans next season.  Guys like Mark Buerhle have given the O's fits for years and I like the idea of having a guy like that in the O's rotation.  

I don't have a problem with the Orioles letting Povich and Rogers battle it out for the 5th starter but I hope these 2 aren't just handed jobs next year. They need 2 starters whether it's by FA or trade. 

The difference between Povich’s command now vs. in his first half dozen or so starts is like night and day.  He seems much more in rhythm out there.  I wonder if he made some small mechanical tweak that’s allowed him to drive towards home plate more consistently.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Baseball fandom said:

I don't have a problem with the Orioles letting Povich and Rogers battle it out for the 5th starter but I hope these 2 aren't just handed jobs next year. They need 2 starters whether it's by FA or trade. 

Right now the credible candidates are Eflin, Rodriguez, Kremer, Suarez, Povich, McDermott and Young.  That’s not enough to bring into spring training, for sure.  I agree they probably need two more, including one higher end guy to fill the Burnes slot and someone to create more competition and depth at the back end.  It’s a tall order.   Hopefully we get Bradish and Wells back in the second half at some point, but you can’t count on it.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Right now the credible candidates are Eflin, Rodriguez, Kremer, Suarez, Povich, McDermott and Young.  That’s not enough to bring into spring training, for sure.  I agree they probably need two more, including one higher end guy to fill the Burnes slot and someone to create more competition and depth at the back end.  It’s a tall order.   Hopefully we get Bradish and Wells back in the second half at some point, but you can’t count on it.  

Whether it's SP or bullpen arms, we always ask for two and get one. That's just how it is until proven otherwise. 

I would also consider Rogers to be credible even if not guaranteed a job. That's eight guys plus Bradish. I kind of doubt we will add two more. 

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

They should have the payroll flexibility to do this without a doubt when you consider such a young team and if they let Burnes and Santander walk then they have to do this. Also it seems like GRod is risky with his injury history. This rotation for 25 scares me in what it could be until further notice 

1 hour ago, Three Run Homer said:

Under what scenario would he be left off the wild card roster? 
I don’t see one. It would require Bowman and Baker both over him, which would be insane.