There is only one reason Wieters should be sent down

BirdMan

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry I have never read a thread dedicated to this.

Damn I am the first person ever to bring up a subject twice. Just don't respond and the thread will fall off.

Sorry, I realize my response probably seemed pretty snarky. It has been discussed ad nauseum before, but it really isn't any skin off my nose if if gets discussed again.

The benefits of having Wieters for an extra year while we are (hopefully) competing completely outweigh the benefits of having him for an extra two or three weeks this season.

In theory this makes since. I still say we should offer him a contract that he will accept before we are competing.

They will all follow him blindly now, just like Manny did. He now has a major chink in his armor..

Whats his major chink?

50$M for Manny with a player option is still a major victory for Boras especially when guys like Abreu had to settle for 5$M. No other team wanted Manny (would any other team have even offered 18$M per year?)

Considering all the baggage surrounding Manny and the economic situation I think Boras scored a resounding victory again. If the Dodgers had any balls they would have offered 18$M per year and dared Manny to sit out rather than sign.

Because it could be in his best interest.

This is, of course, an assumption, but signing with Boras usually means that you want a nice paycheck.

If the stars align and the O's somehow work themselves into contention for multiple years, then Matt may develop an emotional attachment to the franchise, but you have to think that Boras will be in his ear telling him to think about his future.

You know, I was just thinking that what we really needed was a thread on this topic, since we've never discussed it before.

Maybe you can start a thread on whether we should have drafted Justin Smoak instead of Brian Matusz. That would be interesting to discuss.

While I agree with you, old arguments never die. That's why we had a dozen "Teixeira watch" topics, with the same arguments played out over and over.

Maybe we're due for another Jack Cust discussion.;)

In theory this makes since. I still say we should offer him a contract that he will accept before we are competing.

In a perfect world, sure, we could sign Wieters long term and not have to worry about service time. In reality, though, his agent is Scott Boras and as of right now, we have a finite amount of time with him wearing an Orioles uniform. It's in our best interest to keep him here as long as we can, and if it takes playing the first few weeks of this season in Norfolk, then so be it.

Whats his major chink?

50$M for Manny with a player option is still a major victory for Boras especially when guys like Abreu had to settle for 5$M. No other team wanted Manny (would any other team have even offered 18$M per year?)

Considering all the baggage surrounding Manny and the economic situation I think Boras scored a resounding victory again. If the Dodgers had any balls they would have offered 18$M per year and dared Manny to sit out rather than sign.

Sorry when you publicly say that you are going to get your client 100 million for four years and you are reduced to getting him 25 million for one year and a pay cut of 20 million for the second year, you lose.

Here is a list of his Major League clients

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/10/scott-boras-cli.html

Tony Abreu

Garret Anderson

Rick Ankiel

Jeff Baker

Josh Barfield

Carlos Beltran

Adrian Beltre

Chris Bootcheck

Willie Bloomquist

Alex Cora

Joe Crede

Johnny Damon

Chris Davis

J.D. Drew

Stephen Drew

Jacoby Ellsbury

Prince Fielder

Eric Gagne

Carlos Gomez

Carlos Gonzalez

Craig Hansen

Luke Hochevar

Matt Holliday

Edwin Jackson

Andruw Jones

Jair Jurrjens

Ian Kennedy

Byung-Hyun Kim

Gerald Laird

Jeff Larish

Kyle Lohse

Felipe Lopez

Rodrigo Lopez

Derek Lowe

Ryan Madson

Daisuke Matsuzaka

Kevin Millwood

Zach Miner

Xavier Nady

David Newhan

Magglio Ordonez

Micah Owings

Mike Pelfrey

Carlos Pena

Oliver Perez

Guillermo Quiroz

Manny Ramirez

Anthony Reyes

Alex Rodriguez

Ivan Rodriguez

Max Scherzer

Scott Schoeneweis

Bobby Seay

Ryan Spilborghs

Julian Tavarez

Willy Taveras

Taylor Teagarden

Mark Teixeira

Jason Varitek

Ron Villone

Jarrod Washburn

Jeff Weaver

Jered Weaver

Brad Wilkerson

Barry Zito

I would say the bolded names would qualify as "stars", with Gomez, Ellsbury and others being on the edge.

Signed extension:

Prince Fielder

Matt Holliday

Jason Varitek (maybe-not sure whether his contract from 2002-04 was an extension)

Magglio Ordonez

That's a very rough list without looking through everyone, the info coming from Cot's.

In a perfect world, sure, we could sign Wieters long term and not have to worry about service time. In reality, though, his agent is Scott Boras and as of right now, we have a finite amount of time with him wearing an Orioles uniform. It's in our best interest to keep him here as long as we can, and if it takes playing the first few weeks of this season in Norfolk, then so be it.

It comes down to a a choice between 3 weeks of his rookie season or an entire season in his prime?

I know which one I am choosing.

Sorry when you publicly say that you are going to get your client 100 million for four years and you are reduced to getting him 25 million for one year and a pay cut of 20 million for the second year, you lose.

Boras has unreasonably lofty goals every year, but that doesn't stopping him from getting his players the best possible deal.

Archived