There is only one reason Wieters should be sent down

BirdMan

What would you say about a player who gets pissed off at a team for doing business as many others have done it, and refusing to sign an extension because of that?

Same thing. But last time I checked, we want this guy signed long-term, so we need to weight all of these reasons, not just the ones that fit certain ideal scenarios.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Again, how do we know that?

We're all just guessing here, so how do you know that you're so right when you agree that you know as much as I do?

How do we know what?

If you're referring to Boras hurting chances of an extension, history tells us that.

If you're referring to the extra year helping the team even if he does sign, well that would put the O's in a better position negotiations wise, and should be able to lock him up for an extra year.

Both are obvious imo.

How do we know what?

If you're referring to Boras hurting chances of an extension, history tells us that.

If you're referring to the extra year helping the team even if he does sign, well that would put the O's in a better position negotiations wise, and should be able to lock him up for an extra year.

Both are obvious imo.

How do we know that it is in our best interests to keep him down? I figured THAT was obvious.

We don't know how he could take it, and that's something we have to take into account.

So far it seems as though the only reason you are against sending him to the minors for a few weeks is that you are afraid of pissing him off. You say that if he did get pissed of that he shows questionable character. You also said that such character would be in play when a client gets overpowered by Boras. Therefore, if Wieters would get pissed off by the O's delaying his debut, he's also likely to let Boras run his life and refuse to sign a reasonable extension even if the O's start him on OD.

I said it COULD happen in either of those situations, but it could happen in both as well.

It's all something that needs to be taken into account, and it doesn't seem like enough people are doing that.

How do we know that it is in our best interests to keep him down? I figured THAT was obvious.

We don't know how he could take it, and that's something we have to take into account.

Haha, responding to a post that had two statements and asking how do we know that, sure that's obvious that you aren't specifically asking about either of the two statements quoted.

Well he already knows about it, so if he was upset, we might have gotten an indication of that.

I would guess the chances of that keeping him from signing an extension or free agent contract with the O's is slim, and even if he is upset, the O's could offer him an extension as if he was up from day one if they like.

So on one side of the equation we have him being so upset that even after 3-7 years with the club, he's unwilling to sign with O's.

On the other side, there is him not being willing to extend simply for financial reasons, so the team gets him for an extra year. He is willing to extend, but keeping him down gets the O's a better deal. He is willing to extend, but only for a contract that doesn't give the O's the benefit/leverage of the extra year of control.

I'm going with the latter.

I said it COULD happen in either of those situations, but it could happen in both as well.

It's all something that needs to be taken into account, and it doesn't seem like enough people are doing that.

Players know the deal. They know that teams hold the early advantage, and when Arb hits they begin to gain the advantage. To think that Boras has not coached his guys in how the business works is unrealistic at best.

Wieters knows if he is as good as advertised, the money will come. I have no doubt that he knows what to expect as far as being kept down for a couple of weeks. Its not like its some dirty little secret in the baseball industry.

Players know the deal. They know that teams hold the early advantage, and when Arb hits they begin to gain the advantage. To think that Boras has not coached his guys in how the business works is unrealistic at best.

Wieters knows if he is as good as advertised, the money will come. I have no doubt that he knows what to expect as far as being kept down for a couple of weeks. Its not like its some dirty little secret in the baseball industry.

He didn't agree to the CBA, so who says he's OK with it?

I know that if I wasn't getting the chance to be in the majors because of assumptions made over who my agent was (and we need to be honest about that part: things haven't changed so much since Nick Markakis came up that if this was anyone else we wouldn't be trying to get him on the team), I'd be ticked.

I know that if I wasn't getting the chance to be in the majors because of assumptions made over who my agent was (and we need to be honest about that part: things haven't changed so much since Nick Markakis came up that if this was anyone else we wouldn't be trying to get him on the team), I'd be ticked.

He should be kept down regardless who is agent is.

Wieters may understand it's a business, but he recently got so ticked off with Topps/Bowman while they were negotiating his rights for baseball cards that he may never have a baseball card with them even when his exclusive deal with Razor expires.

This is not the guy you want to tick off, especially with Boras as his agent. Markakis is a star player, but he doesn't have Boras advising him. Granted Wieters may think twice about Boras considering he was the one that got him in that financial mess, but in the end he's seen what Boras can do for his top clients.

So I have no problem leaving him down to get that extra year of service time, but anything else that could hurt his ROY status will seem like a slight to Boras, and you can bet anything negative that happens to Boras will be relayed to Wieters.

He seems to be a smart fellow, I'm sure he understands that the game (and the CBA) is structured in favor of the star players a club to which I would assume he expects to be a part of. Anyone of that caliber would be nuts not love a CBA that will so dramatically lower the supply of quality FAs that when he hits that point in his career when he is a FA he'll clean up.

He seems to be a smart fellow, I'm sure he understands that the game (and the CBA) is structured in favor of the star players a club to which I would assume he expects to be a part of. Anyone of that caliber would be nuts not love a CBA that will so dramatically lower the supply of quality FAs that when he hits that point in his career when he is a FA he'll clean up.

Again, this is what we are HOPING to see.

Archived