There is only one reason Wieters should be sent down

BirdMan

Probably not. The client will feel like an ass.. Boras will just strike gold with another client and won't think twice. In my opinion, he has won too much for one oopsie to cause him to change his entire philosophy.

Boras failed with regards to Matt Harrington and I doubt it keeps Boras up at night.

But that's the point: it isn't about Boras, it's about Wieters. What Wieters wants to do.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But that's the point: it isn't about Boras, it's about Wieters. What Wieters wants to do.

And again, even if he wants to sign an extension at some point, it totally makes sense to secure an extra year of service time.

Seems like many are struggling with this concept of late, or they are just so impatient to see these potential stars that they don't care.

I agree its not what Boras wants, but what Wieters wants. Unfortunately, Wieters chose Boras as his agent, and players who choose Boras, have a pretty long and solid track record of going to FA and not signing extensions. Two players out of that long list of Boras clients signed extensions, and a third who wanted to sign left Boras to get it done.

The bring Wieters up now contingent, are standing on wobbly legs with the argument that Boras will do what Wieters wants. Wieters wants the most money, hence him signing with Boras. He may like Baltimore, but he's going to test FA.

I agree, but how can we be sure what Wieters wants to do?

Delaying the callup guarantees we cover our butt incase Wieters listens to Boras', "I can get you Teixiera money if you wait till Free Agency". With all the hype from the media... Wieters might start agreeing with Boras.

I like Wieters... he seems nice. If I weren't a cynic I'd say, "Yeah, Wieters will sign an extension," but yah just never know whats going on in these guy's heads. Why is Papelbon so insistent on going year-by-year? He is in a perfect situation yet won't sign.

Does Wieters want security or greed? Are we so confident that he wants security to gamble with one year of Free Agency? :scratchchinhmm:

And again, even if he wants to sign an extension at some point, it totally makes sense to secure an extra year of service time.

Seems like many are struggling with this concept of late, or they are just so impatient to see these potential stars that they don't care.

No one is struggling with that concept, though it seems many are struggling with others.

For example, pissing off the guy you want to have as your catcher for many years to come.

I agree, but how can we be sure what Wieters wants to do?

Delaying the callup guarantees we cover our butt incase Wieters listens to Boras', "I can get you Teixiera money if you wait till Free Agency". With all the hype from the media... Wieters might start agreeing with Boras.

I like Wieters... he seems nice. If I weren't a cynic I'd say, "Yeah, Wieters will sign an extension," but yah just never know whats going on in these guy's heads. Why is Papelbon so insistent on going year-by-year? He is in a perfect situation yet won't sign.

Does Wieters want security or greed? Are we so confident that he wants security to gamble with one year of Free Agency? :scratchchinhmm:

I think it's fine to want to get that extra year. It's the smart move, and probably will help the team out long-term.

However, I think there's a lot of people looking at that as the easy way out of a tough situation, when every action has a reaction and that reaction may not be positive, especially if Wieters and Boras are as so many seem to believe.

No one is struggling with that concept, though it seems many are struggling with others.

For example, pissing off the guy you want to have as your catcher for many years to come.

I beg to differ that no one is struggling with that concept.

Have you seen any indications of him being pissed off?

Speaking of him being the catcher for many years to come, I guess you want that to be one less year than I do, that's cool.

Wait, I thought all of these guys were blind followers ;)

This is not the point. The point is that if you choose Scott Boras as your agent, you probably want someone who is going to get you the most money. And that ignoring an opportunity to guarantee another year at the cost of two weeks of production because you hope that he's one of the rare Boras clients who bucks the trend of cashing in in FA is not rational.

If you think it's mean to delay the arb clock, fine, I respect that. If you think that delaying the arb clock will irritate Wieters and cost us the extension he was likely to sign otherwise, then I don't respect that. There's no basis for that opinion. Boras clients more than anyone know that baseball is a business.

I beg to differ that no one is struggling with that concept.

Have you seen any indications of him being pissed off?

Speaking of him being the catcher for many years to come, I guess you want that to be one less year than I do, that's cool.

Have we seen any indications that he won't sign a long-term extension?

Have we seen any indications that he won't sign a long-term extension?

You know those indications wouldn't exist at this point. But Boras being his agent hurts the chances.

I'll repeat myself yet again though, even if he does want to sign one at some point, it will be in the O's best interest to have that extra year of club control.

This is not the point. The point is that if you choose Scott Boras as your agent, you probably want someone who is going to get you the most money. And that ignoring an opportunity to guarantee another year at the cost of two weeks of production because you hope that he's one of the rare Boras clients who bucks the trend of cashing in in FA is not rational.

If you think it's mean to delay the arb clock, fine, I respect that. If you think that delaying the arb clock will irritate Wieters and cost us the extension he was likely to sign otherwise, then I don't respect that. There's no basis for that opinion. Boras clients more than anyone know that baseball is a business.

I think that if you choose Scott Boras as your agent, you know that you are getting someone who will fight to get his client every last cent he can.

I also think that anyone who allows themself to be overpowered by their agent is of questionable character anyway, and could be inclined to view the present suggestions as a major slight.

You know those indications wouldn't exist at this point. But Boras being his agent hurts the chances.

I'll repeat myself yet again though, even if he does want to sign one at some point, it will be in the O's best interest to have that extra year of club control.

Again, how do we know that?

We're all just guessing here, so how do you know that you're so right when you agree that you know as much as I do?

The more interesting question is do the Orioles hold Wieters down for two weeks to get an extra year of control, or three months to save maybe $10 million during his arbitration years. I'm guessing the latter. I'm also guessing there will be a lot of unhappy campers on Orioles Hangout when Wieters isn't promoted in late April.

Archived