Sometimes, I just stare into the O’s dugout and marvel

Frobby

2 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

In a different time, these players would likely have been teammates for a decade or more.But free agency , which is unquestionably good for the players, changed all that. In 3-4 years,Its unlikely that the dugout will look remotely like it does these days.In fact, unless Rubinstein spends an insane amount of money, its likely we can keep only 2-3 of these players in an Oriole uniform when their Free Agent years come to them.

We can't know how this goes in the long term.   Mullins looked like a perennial All-Star after his 30/30 2021 season.   But that didn't last.   The whole team structure is an annual rethink.

I guess its just the nature of society and of professional sports in general that when someone makes a post like this, just straight up enjoying what they are seeing and expressing that joy, there has to be someone else to pee in their cornflakes with a 'better enjoy it while it lasts' type post.  YES, we all know the team won't look like this even next year, let alone in 2028.  That doesn't have to dampen your appreciation for THIS year's team, one bit.

The OP is actually the reason that my answer to a different thread - the one about building for years of contention vs one definite WS win - will always be years of contention.  I enjoy getting to know each team, how it differs (and/or is the same) as the prior year or years, how it gels together.  I enjoy the 'reality show' nature of baseball, which I believe is unique amongst the major sports.  There is no other sport where your favorite team is in your living room playing EVERY SINGLE NIGHT for 6 months, barring the off days here and there.  And when its a group like what we currently have, it really does start to feel like we are all part of the team, that we're watching these guys mature, improve, struggle, work, play, succeed, fail, debut, get sent down, ride the shuttle, throw 7 perfect innings, get blown up in the third inning, get a save, blow a save, go on winning streaks and losing streaks.  And I for one feel like I am right there with them, waiting with bated breath for the next piece of news, the next pitch, the next lineup - day in and day out.  Is this going to be the game where Ced finally busts out?  Can Bradish look healthy and get through at least 5?  Has the Kimbrel reset worked?  How close can Gunnar stay to Judge in the HR race?  Are we going to catch team X?  Are we going to get caught by team Y?

The reality is, yes I want to see them win it all, but if I never do, I'm more than OK with that.  Just keep putting out teams I'm proud to root for, thrilled to follow day by day, and that keep me on the edge of my seat from Opening Day until the final out.  That's all I'm looking for.  If that final out happens to be the last out of a WS that we've won, all the better.  But if not, I'll still be counting the days until I get to see them play again.  Rinse and repeat.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, dystopia said:

I’d be willing to have Hall back as a reliever . Would the Brewers be willing to trade him back? They might not want to admit defeat on the Burnes trade like that. 

What defeat?  Ortiz has been killing it for them.  You don't think six years of Ortiz is worth one year of Burnes?

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

What defeat?  Ortiz has been killing it for them.  You don't think six years of Ortiz is worth one year of Burnes?

Okay that was probably unfair of me to say that, the jury is still out on who “wins” the deal but it probably ends up being a good deal for both sides… Ortiz just didn’t have an opening here. 

The on field product is everything we always wanted. A mostly drafted and developed team of young good/great players. 

From the human side, its nice to see guys who have "developed" together get to enjoy their success at the major league level together. It's also nice that they all seem like legitimately good dudes. 

Elias clearly puts an emphasis on drafting/acquiring high quality young men on and off the field.

• Upvote 1

Add to the original post  Hays and Mullins seem like they are very good friends.   I think the "old guard" - Santander, Hays, Mullins. Mateo, Urias - have integrated well with these new guys.   We don't see the interworkings of the club house,  but from the outside looking in - these dudes all seem to enjoying playing together.   

Just now, Yossarian said:

Add to the original post  Hays and Mullins seem like they are very good friends.   I think the "old guard" - Santander, Hays, Mullins. Mateo, Urias - have integrated well with these new guys.   We don't see the interworkings of the club house,  but from the outside looking in - these dudes all seem to enjoying playing together.   

Other than Burnes hating Adley you mean.

😉