The Braves series, June 11-13

Frobby

12 hours ago, O's84 said:

Losing Means and Wells hurt a lot.  Otherwise you got Wells and Suarez to reinforce the pen.  Still would have needed another arm.  But now were stretched extremely thin.  And let's hope Danny is okay or else it's even worse.  Gotta get a pair of arms at the deadline.

I thought Wells is out for the season ? Unless they have two pitchers named Wells  ?

11 hours ago, Malike said:

Here, often. Players peak at 26, all downhill from there.

I thought the peak was about 30? If it’s 26, that would suggest Adley is already starting his downhill.

Edit: After posting, I saw a lot of subsequent comments that addressed this question, so no need to respond.

However, it does make the question of extensions far more serious, because we shouldn’t hand them out to a guy who is merely outstanding, but who is also young enough that the extension will cover his peak years and no more.

So an extension for Adley would only go to his age 31-ish season, for instance.

Edited by Philip

1 hour ago, Philip said:

I thought the peak was about 30? If it’s 26, that would suggest Adley is already starting his downhill.

Edit: After posting, I saw a lot of subsequent comments that addressed this question, so no need to respond.

However, it does make the question of extensions far more serious, because we shouldn’t hand them out to a guy who is merely outstanding, but who is also young enough that the extension will cover his peak years and no more.

So an extension for Adley would only go to his age 31-ish season, for instance.

Sure if you can get him to say yes.

1 hour ago, Allan Bryant said:

I thought Wells is out for the season ? Unless they have two pitchers named Wells  ?

He is out for the season.  That's why I said it hurts a lot.

8 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The peak has always been around 27, but the curve is pretty flat between 26 and 31. Give or take. Of course individuals may peak at pretty much any age. Nick Markakis' best season was 24, Al Kaline was just a fraction of a win off his high at 20, and Hoyt Wilhelm's most valuable year was at 36. Although most pitchers don't have an aging curve with a peak, so much as a scatter plot. Then you have David Ortiz and Barry Bonds who had very late peaks because of clean livin' and hard work...

I know this, it was a hyperbolic post because people act like 28-29-year-olds are ancient and past their prime. 

I'll take the series win, but it was kind of an annoying game. 

• Irvin starting the game with meatball cutters/Adley didn't pivot quickly enough from obvious Braves plan to swing early
  • Cowser: Trouble With The Curve
  • Tony - swings at a 3-1 pitch off the plate in a big moment. You have a strike to work with, wait for something better. 
  • Iffy defense
  • Bad Cio reminds us he still exists, makes Orioles fans collectively think ahead to this bullpen in the playoffs.
Edited by interloper

6 minutes ago, O-The-Memories said:

I'm getting a little concerned with our defense. It should be a strength of ours. 

Fangraphs has the O’s 10th and OAA has them 6th. There’s been some lackadaisical errors the last week though. Hopefully they clean that up. 

46 minutes ago, Malike said:

I know this, it was a hyperbolic post because people act like 28-29-year-olds are ancient and past their prime. 

One of the consequences of the post-drug testing era is that peaks have been peaking earlier; in earlier eras peaks at age 28-31 were much more common, and aging patterns after 31 were a little less steep.  Now some research suggests the median peak is as early as age 26.  I'm wondering if amphetamines testing had a significant effect here given the grind of the regular season and the extreme travel schedule.  I imagine that older players in years past could have taken a coffee spiked with speed to give themselves a pick-me-up.  With drug testing that becomes much more challenging.

1 minute ago, Hallas said:

One of the consequences of the post-drug testing era is that peaks have been peaking earlier; in earlier eras peaks at age 28-31 were much more common, and aging patterns after 31 were a little less steep.  Now some research suggests the median peak is as early as age 26.  I'm wondering if amphetamines testing had a significant effect here given the grind of the regular season and the extreme travel schedule.  I imagine that older players in years past could have taken a coffee spiked with speed to give themselves a pick-me-up.  With drug testing that becomes much more challenging.

I don't think there is a shortage of 30-34 year old players that are playing at the highest level of the sport. Most of the 30 year old players that are still around are a lot better major leaguers than they were at 26. I agree that getting into the late 30's the dropoff is pretty big without "help", but people suggesting that you need to trade guys who are 27/28 because they are too old is just ridiculous to me. During the Cease nonsense threads, people were saying Ortiz was too old at 25 to be of value.