Bring up Mayo already!!

4 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

What date is that? I feel they both may.

Holliday has already had 34 at bats.  I'm not sure home many plate appearances he has had.  Likely 40 or less.  Plus there is the 45 games limit.  The club won't be able to bring him up before early September.  The usual 4t days/129 plate appearances apply to Mayo.  He won't be able to be promoted until the second half of August and,will need the occasional,day off to stay under the rookie limits.

I don’t think they are linking it to any dates like qualifying for rookie of the year.  I think they would prefer to bring them up when they feel like they are here to stay.  They also  will have to move on from somebody like Urias and/or Mateo.  I just think they aren’t ready to remove that veteran presence yet.  Injuries could change that or a trade.  There is no doubt in my mind Mayo would be on this team if his defense was considered good enough.  I am sure they are working on that at AAA everyday.  He doesn’t have anything else to prove offensively.  

The move to make is Mayo for Urias. The only concern is that if Mayo flops defensively then who do you go to?  Urias would have to be traded or DFA’d. Westburg would be here obviously. 

I think bringing Mayo up is the right call. Just pointing out the flip side of the discussion. Mayo offers too much to keep him down. It’s a move to win a WS. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The move to make is Mayo for Urias. The only concern is that if Mayo flops defensively then who do you go to?  Urias would have to be traded or DFA’d. Westburg would be here obviously. 

I think bringing Mayo up is the right call. Just pointing out the flip side of the discussion. Mayo offers too much to keep him down. It’s a move to win a WS. 

If Mayo flops defensively then you put Westburg at 3rd with Mateo at 2B. If one of them gets injured you bring up Norby. We have more than enough redundancy at every IF position. Playing Urias (and his .625 OPS) is unacceptable when Mayo is basically putting up 

Aaron Judge numbers at AAA. 

• Upvote 1

I’m guessing if Hays isn’t able to play the move is Hays to DL, Mayo up.   Then, you let Urias and Mateo ride the bench.     OF is Cowser, Mullins and Kjerstad/Santander.  You can find plenty of at bats for everyone and rotate DH to keep people rested.     

41 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

Sunday Night Baseball at Camden Yards would be a pretty cool time to debut Mayo. 

Didn’t they add Norby to the taxi squad for that?

50 minutes ago, Keygans said:

I’m guessing if Hays isn’t able to play the move is Hays to DL, Mayo up.   Then, you let Urias and Mateo ride the bench.     OF is Cowser, Mullins and Kjerstad/Santander.  You can find plenty of at bats for everyone and rotate DH to keep people rested.     

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

If Mayo flops defensively then you put Westburg at 3rd with Mateo at 2B. If one of them gets injured you bring up Norby. We have more than enough redundancy at every IF position. Playing Urias (and his .625 OPS) is unacceptable when Mayo is basically putting up 

Aaron Judge numbers at AAA. 

But then you don’t have a backup 3b. If something happens to westburg, you push Gunnar to 3rd, Mateo to as and don’t have a 2b. If it’s an injury, you make a roster move. But if something happens mid game, you have no utility player