Orioles want Ackley?

which isn't too shabby. Is it inconceivable to think that a lights out 2009 campaign can vault him into the top 10?

And yes, it's Poythress. What a hard name to type....

I've never seen him play in person, but I love the fact that he's walked 3 times more than he's struck out. To me, that suggests patience and plate discipline (something O's prospects tend to lack). In addition, he's had success in a top tier college division and done his damage against some very good competition. The same can't be said for Ackley or Kipnis.

I agree, chosing him with #5 does seem a bit of a reach. But he'll be long gone before we pick again...

I agree, I don't think top 10 is a stretch. I just think it will take a little longer for teams to bump down players they've had ranked above him since last summer. Just part of the process. If he keeps this up he'll definitely be gone by 2:5 unless he tanks the rest of the year or gets injured.

You don't think Arizona State has played a tough schedule? Their RPI rank is currently 20 -- Georgia is 24. ASU strength of schedule is .5367, while Georgia's is .4942. These will obviously change as we get into the meat of the conference games -- but thus far I'd say the schedules have been pretty comparable.

Also, I believe #20 college prospect would put him in the early second round (especially since this class is probably a little more high school heavy at the top). So he does have to vault over a fair number of people to get top 10.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Stotle what do u know about Andy Oliver?

Eh, fair amount. Long and short of it is he was a potential top 10 pick that has been roughed up a bit this year. Lefty out of Ok State, I ranked 7th best pitcher in the draft class (pre-season). I haven't seen him pitch this season (yet) but pre-season I rated his stuff:

FB - 60

CH - 50

SL - 45

He has some deception in his delivery and plus-command of his then low-90s FB (he was with Team USA last summer). He also gets solid late action.

He threw his CH with good arm speed, and it could be an above-average pitch in time. His slider looked inconsistent to me, in release and shape.

Great frame and build.

Ackley went 3-5 with 2 more HR (both opposite field) and 4 RBI against GT in the series finale on Sunday. That HR total now matches his career high and it should help put to rest some of those doubts that he can't hit against top competition.

His line is now: .408/.520/.733/1.253 with 10 HR and 27 RBI with a 25/15 BB/K ratio.

Man I hope he falls to us...

Ackley went 3-5 with 2 more HR (both opposite field) and 4 RBI against GT in the series finale on Sunday. That HR total now matches his career high and it should help put to rest some of those doubts that he can't hit against top competition.

His line is now: .408/.520/.733/1.253 with 10 HR and 27 RBI with a 25/15 BB/K ratio.

Man I hope he falls to us...

I second that now. He's number 2 on my draft board behind Strasburg.

So, basically, we're talking about Casey Kotchman if he's a 1B?

Where's SG, someone let him know. ;)

Kotchman with better speed. It's hard to really sum him up because the best way I can describe him is a pure hitter playing out of position. Yes, he's fine at first defensively because he's athletic, but 1B is one of two positions in the field where being athletic doesn't really help much. The trick at 1B is footwork and being able to read and track hops. Just like Catching you need to be able to block the ball, move your feet and call a game. He's wasted at 1B where his best attributes are his agility, speed, and from the little I've seen, good route running on fly balls. I'd REALLY like to see him in the OF some more this year before I really sign off on a 5th overall pick for him. Some team will gamble that they will take him and move him wherever they need sight unseen though.

Interesting though, I heard tonight on XM the Pirates director of scouting said that they are solid on bats in the system but are really looking to add pitching "although of course we won't do anything stupid" meaning they won't reach for a pitcher if a great bat is there. I would have thought PIT could have been a good fit for him.

Kotchman with better speed. It's hard to really sum him up because the best way I can describe him is a pure hitter playing out of position. Yes, he's fine at first defensively because he's athletic, but 1B is one of two positions in the field where being athletic doesn't really help much. The trick at 1B is footwork and being able to read and track hops. Just like Catching you need to be able to block the ball, move your feet and call a game. He's wasted at 1B where his best attributes are his agility, speed, and from the little I've seen, good route running on fly balls. I'd REALLY like to see him in the OF some more this year before I really sign off on a 5th overall pick for him. Some team will gamble that they will take him and move him wherever they need sight unseen though.

Interesting though, I heard tonight on XM the Pirates director of scouting said that they are solid on bats in the system but are really looking to add pitching "although of course we won't do anything stupid" meaning they won't reach for a pitcher if a great bat is there. I would have thought PIT could have been a good fit for him.

WHere could PIT play him? They are stacked at the corners (LaRoche, LaRoche, Walker, Alvarez, Pearce, etc.) and have McLouth, McCutchen and Tabata in CF. Not that I'm a proponent of drafting for need, but that system is more out of whack than BAL's (in the opposite direction). They need pitching, particularly at the upper-levels. I'd guess a college arm provided there is good value at their slot (which there should be).

WHere could PIT play him? They are stacked at the corners (LaRoche, LaRoche, Walker, Alvarez, Pearce, etc.) and have McLouth, McCutchen and Tabata in CF. Not that I'm a proponent of drafting for need, but that system is more out of whack than BAL's (in the opposite direction). They need pitching, particularly at the upper-levels. I'd guess a college arm provided there is good value at their slot (which there should be).

LaRoche (elder), won't be there past this season, LaRoche (younger) looks like a bust , by the time he would be ready McLouth will be gone as seen by the non-negotiations this offseason. Ackley could play 1B or LF for them in that situation, with McCutchen in CF and Tabata in RF.

I have them looking at White, Gibson and Crow right now, so I do agree, besides I really don't see a bat that could force them to take one with all those pitchers hanging around.

LaRoche (elder), won't be there past this season, LaRoche (younger) looks like a bust , by the time he would be ready McLouth will be gone as seen by the non-negotiations this offseason. Ackley could play 1B or LF for them in that situation, with McCutchen in CF and Tabata in RF.

I have them looking at White, Gibson and Crow right now, so I do agree, besides I really don't see a bat that could force them to take one with all those pitchers hanging around.

I guess my point is you can't count on negative moves being made (dropping players) any more than you can count on positive moves being made (player acquisition).

Also, I think it's early to call Andy a bust.

I believe Neil Walker was the AAA player of the year for PIT, and he's returning to AAA to start this year because of the depth at 3B/1B/COF. I just think an advanced bat like Ackley's doesn't fit particularly well into PITs situation. I mean, Ackley could be a great acquisition for anyone, don't get me wrong. I think PIT would go a different direction, though, provided that wouldn't mean a drop-off in value.

Archived