Bowden on some Os related deadline thoughts

Sports Guy

1. Are the Orioles prepared to make a big move at the deadline? It seems like a (deal with the White Sox for) Garrett Crochet and Tommy Pham would be perfect for them. … Could catcher Samuel Basallo be the main piece in a deal for a controllable starter? — Brad K.

The Orioles were proud that they didn’t trade any of their top-seven prospects when they landed Corbin Burnes from the Brewers in the offseason, and they’re continuing down that path in negotiations for starting pitchers now. They believe they don’t have to trade Basallo or Coby Mayo — ranked 12th and 17th, respectively, in Keith Law’s top 50 from early June — because they can instead deal from the depth of their strong farm system. Their approach is to hold onto all of their top prospects and deal from the middle of their farm system, which is better than the top of most teams’ systems.

That being said, a trade for Crochet would probably have to start with Basallo or Mayo, which could mean the Orioles pivot to a lesser starter, perhaps pursuing a reunion with Jack Flaherty of the Tigers or trying to land Luis Severino from the Mets.

2. Do you think Cal Quantrill would be a good fit for the Orioles? — Charles W.

Yes, I think Quantrill would be a solid pickup for the back of their rotation. He wouldn’t be at the top of my target list — with pitchers such as Crochet, Flaherty, Severino, or any of the Blue Jays’ starters — but I put him in the category of Erick Fedde of the White Sox as a solid rotation depth play. Quantrill, 29, is under team control through 2025.

8. Crochet has already pitched more innings (101 1/3) this season than he had in his entire career. If a contending team acquires him, how will they manage his workload for the rest of 2024? — Robert S.

That’s a great question, Robert. I asked two NL GMs who had interest in Crochet the same question and they both answered that if they were able to acquire him, which both believed would be difficult based on the return the White Sox would need to move him, they likely would use him as a reliever for the second half of the season, then stretch him back out at the end of September to give him a chance to start in the postseason.

27. Everyone asks about the biggest name to be traded, but who will be the biggest prospect to be traded? — Cameron Bortolazzo

That’s a phenomenal question, Cameron. I’ll go with Coby Mayo, who as I said earlier, the Orioles are not looking to trade. But he is the most expendable of all their top prospects in the minor leagues and has the talent to be the headliner in a trade for a pitcher like Garrett Crochet.

This from his latest The Athletic piece, which I can’t get a link for.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Their approach is to hold onto all of their top prospects and deal from the middle of their farm system, which is better than the top of most teams’ systems.

Bowden sums it up nicely here then goes on the speculate just the opposite... gotta get the clicks. 

True/False:  The gnashing of teeth if Elias trades for Flaherty will be greater than the Frazier signing.

Well if Jim Bowden says so. :wet fart: 

How on Earth is a Crochet trade perfect for the Orioles? Unless the O's simply said to Crochet to stop pitching until the end of the year and/or skip starts routinely and only have him go 3 IP each....he's effectively a pickup for *next year and beyond*, not this year!

Flaherty worries me. Health, and just that he hasn't been this good since 2019. Is that worth losing another Zach Showalter/Prieto? Flaherty is easily one of the best remaining available pitchers that won't cost an arm/leg, though. Def don't want to touch Severino (health, his SO/BB ratio and SO/9 not great). Cal Quantrill I think would be a fine *back of the rotation arm* a la Kyle Gibson. But the O's need a #3, tbh. Basically, what 3 headed dragon do you want in the playoffs? Short of betting on Cade Povich (who I really like!), they need something more surefire. 

• Upvote 1