Starting Pitching avail in Free Agency in offseason vs Trade Deadline addition

casadeozo

With Bradish’s injury, and the assumption Burnes will leave,  I keep seeing posters saying our rotation next year being Rodriguez, Kremer, Povich, Irvin, Suarez. Maybe McDermott comes up this year and can be a force in the rotation but it goes without saying Elias would not proceed with a rotation that thin.

Theres been a lot of chatter about acquiring a pitcher at the deadline with control next year and maybe beyond. To me that is far from a certainty considering Elias’ history of being conservative in trades, and priding himself in the minor league depth.

My preference would be to acquire someone like Scherzer if he’s available for the stretch run, and reassess the starting rotation in the offseason, either by trade or by free agency 

With that said looking at Spotrac these are the starters I’d be most intrigued by, with those in bold top of the list:

Corbin Burnes

Walker Buehler

Max Fried

Max Scherzer

Robbie Ray

Luis Severino

Jack Flaherty 

Shane Bieber

Nathan Eovaldi

Frankie Montas 

Yusel Kikuchi

2 hours ago, casadeozo said:

With Bradish’s injury, and the assumption Burnes will leave,  I keep seeing posters saying our rotation next year being Rodriguez, Kremer, Povich, Irvin, Suarez. Maybe McDermott comes up this year and can be a force in the rotation but it goes without saying Elias would not proceed with a rotation that thin.

Theres been a lot of chatter about acquiring a pitcher at the deadline with control next year and maybe beyond. To me that is far from a certainty considering Elias’ history of being conservative in trades, and priding himself in the minor league depth.

My preference would be to acquire someone like Scherzer if he’s available for the stretch run, and reassess the starting rotation in the offseason, either by trade or by free agency 

With that said looking at Spotrac these are the starters I’d be most intrigued by, with those in bold top of the list:

Corbin Burnes

Walker Buehler

Max Fried

Max Scherzer

Robbie Ray

Luis Severino

Jack Flaherty 

Shane Bieber

Nathan Eovaldi

Frankie Montas 

Yusel Kikuchi

How about Armbreister?

Just now, oriolediehard said:

How about Armbreister?

He currently has an 8.36 ERA in AAA along with giving up 2.6 HR/9 and 5.2 BB/9 so probably not wise to count on him for anything at this point. 

Obviously Burnes is the best (of that group and just about any/all groups), but will cost.

The team had a profit margin of 99 million last seaso (which was more than the Major League payroll). That is not to mention the  is the 35% increase in attendance this season. And that does not include the billions backed up in the Rubenstein group treasury. And lastly, about 550 million to the franchise for free from us state taxers.

It would be ab absolute shame for the team not to be serious spenders now (deadline & offseason).

7 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Give me Kikuchi at the deadline.

Pretty rough go of it lately for him.

Last 7 starts, he’s got a 7.12 ERA with an FIP well over 5. Also an average EV of 92.1 MPH over that span (bottom 1-2 percentile), so it’s not just an issue of luck. In 5 of those 7 starts, he’s given up 4+ ERs, and he’s averaging just over 4 innings per start in that span.

Perhaps he turns it around, but…that’s a pretty big gamble for a half-season rental unless you’re giving up very little to get him.

Just now, oriolediehard said:

I read somewhere that Rubinstein said that he will do whatever it takes to keep the O's good.  So he may sign Burnes and our core players.  Great hope!!!!

Or maybe he will just throw out a bunch of free hats, who knows? 

19 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Obviously Burnes is the best (of that group and just about any/all groups), but will cost.

The team had a profit margin of 99 million last seaso (which was more than the Major League payroll). That is not to mention the  is the 35% increase in attendance this season. And that does not include the billions backed up in the Rubenstein group treasury. And lastly, about 550 million to the franchise for free from us state taxers.

It would be ab absolute shame for the team not to be serious spenders now (deadline & offseason).

It would also be a shame to see them spend stupidly.

I'd love Fried but at the same time if we are spending the money for him you might as well just spend the money for Burnes. There's a pretty clear drop off after those two.

14 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Pretty rough go of it lately for him.

Last 7 starts, he’s got a 7.12 ERA with an FIP well over 5. Also an average EV of 92.1 MPH over that span (bottom 1-2 percentile), so it’s not just an issue of luck. In 5 of those 7 starts, he’s given up 4+ ERs, and he’s averaging just over 4 innings per start in that span.

Perhaps he turns it around, but…that’s a pretty big gamble for a half-season rental unless you’re giving up very little to get him.

I thought I read something about him saying this season will be his last. Wonder why 

2 minutes ago, Allan Bryant said:

For those teams who want limit trade assets cost , yes 

Just give me a game 2/3 SP like Scherzer or Kikuchi. I won’t lose any sleep wondering about next year’s rotation.

We already have fine regular season options in Suarez, Povich, Kremer, Irvin, and McDermott for next year to pair with Grayson. Who knows what’ll happen with Burnes. 

• Upvote 1