Povich or McDemott?

Sports Guy

Povich or McDermott?   

28 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you trade..McDermott or Povich?

I wouldn't be tied to either one.  Whichever one got the best deal done would be gone. 

Povich has shown an ability to get ML hitters out , but he's also shown inconsistency.  I'd expect McDermott to look similar at the ML level too.

I chose McDermott to answer the question, but I stand by what I said a few days ago. Do not trade any pitchers who can make a difference for the big club. What if we lose more pitchers to injury after the deadline? Pitching is not a strength to trade from. It’s a hole. If you get more pitchers back that can fill that hole, then maybe.

In the offseason, trade them both if you want. In the middle of the season, I say no.

15 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

I chose McDermott to answer the question, but I stand by what I said a few days ago. Do not trade any pitchers who can make a difference for the big club. What if we lose more pitchers to injury after the deadline? Pitching is not a strength to trade from. It’s a hole. If you get more pitchers back that can fill that hole, then maybe.

In the offseason, trade them both if you want. In the middle of the season, I say no.

What if you are getting a pitcher back who has shown to be able to get MLB hitters out and has 2 or 3 years of control? I think I say yes to either. Neither of these guys is going to headline a deal, they'd be throw-ins for an MLB pitcher with years of control.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Malike said:

What if you are getting a pitcher back who has shown to be able to get MLB hitters out and has 2 or 3 years of control? I think I say yes to either. Neither of these guys is going to headline a deal, they'd be throw-ins for an MLB pitcher with years of control.

Sure. Depends. What is the health history and durability? McDermott and Povich have been fairly healthy, as far as we know anyway. What’s the net gain? And not just 2024, but 2025 as well.

I don’t look at it per each trade, but what is the sum of the parts at the end of all trades. Is your team better served and more competitive? Did we increase competitive depth in pitching? If yes, then great. I’m sure Elias has a big picture he is operating with. Who to send, who to keep, who to acquire for which needs.

The problem is what upper level depth will we have to fall back on? You cannot make a trade, but you still need to cover innings and remain competitive. If all we have at Norfolk is Zimm, Armbruester and Young, and then a bunch of 33-34 year old retreads, yikes!

Down the road, I like McDermott as a pen arm anyway. Swing and miss stuff, maybe a tick up in the pen. He’s expendable, and so is Povich, as long as it makes us better in 2024 and 2025. 

2 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Sure. Depends. What is the health history and durability? McDermott and Povich have been fairly healthy, as far as we know anyway. What’s the net gain? And not just 2024, but 2025 as well.

I don’t look at it per each trade, but what is the sum of the parts at the end of all trades. Is your team better served and more competitive? Did we increase competitive depth in pitching? If yes, then great. I’m sure Elias has a big picture he is operating with. Who to send, who to keep, who to acquire for which needs.

The problem is what upper level depth will we have to fall back on? You cannot make a trade, but you still need to cover innings and remain competitive. If all we have at Norfolk is Zimm, Armbruester and Young, and then a bunch of 33-34 year old retreads, yikes!

Down the road, I like McDermott as a pen arm anyway. Swing and miss stuff, maybe a tick up in the pen. He’s expendable, and so is Povich, as long as it makes us better in 2024 and 2025. 

I'm holding out hope that they draft a ton of college arms in this draft and hit on a couple of them.

Just now, Malike said:

I'm holding out hope that they draft a ton of college arms in this draft and hit on a couple of them.

Agreed. They could go hitter (Gillen, Dickerson or Tyson Lewis maybe) at 22, and then there are many college guys like Hess, Holman and so on at 32 and in the second round…61? I like the HS bats at 22, but maybe that’s just me. They could draft 15 pitchers in this draft and that would be fine with me.

• Upvote 1