Trading for Tarik Skubal

Greg Pappas

A look at the Tigers top 20 list shows they mainly need a quality catcher and solid outfielder. I doubt they need Holliday, but they would want Kjersted AND Basallo. BUT. if we go solid floor over high ceiling, maybe Stowers instead of Kjerstad. They have a lot of pitching in their top 20 so they don’t want any of our pitching, but might be willing to part with Skubal.

But it’s going to take Basallo or Mayo, because if Basallo doesn’t pan out as Catcher, he can play 1b.

So, Mayo OR Kjerstad and Stowers plus Norby.

Poor Kyle Stowers, he goes to sleep every night not knowing what uniform he’ll wear tomorrow.

17 minutes ago, Spakman said:

Well, if that poll was split like the opening poster said and I  I haven’t looked at it recently, Then hangoters are more tight on our prospects than Elias potentially is. 

Which was kind of the point.(that and giving up multiple ML assets)

Skubal is older than Soto and there's more inherent risk as a pitcher. Wasn't the Padres owner basically willing to do whatever it took to try and win a W.S.? I.E. he was probably willing to overpay if necessary. If the Tigers are asking two of Holliday/Mayo/Basallo then yea definitely pass.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, G54377 said:

Skubal is older than Soto and there's more inherent risk as a pitcher. Wasn't the Padres owner basically willing to do whatever it took to try and win a W.S.? I.E. he was probably willing to overpay if necessary. If the Tigers are asking two of Holliday/Mayo/Basallo then yea definitely pass.

Pitching cost more than hitting. 

Any trade that doesn’t include 2 of the big 3 would be a surprise to me. 

10 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

They definitely aren't trading him without either 2 of the top 100 prospects, plus, or 1 and someone like Cowser/Kjerstad plus. Skubal isn't going anywhere, the price would be ridiculous.

8 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I would generally agree in most cases that pitching cost more than hitting. However, Soto is a generational superstar level hitter who you were getting for age 23 (mid), 24, 25 seasons. Skubal is one of the better pitchers in the league seemingly headed towards his peak, but I don't think Skubal is the same class of pitchers as Soto would be a hitter. Soto led the NL with 7.1 WAR the year before he was traded. Skubal's career high in innings pitched is 149. Despite how great he's pitched, because of the lack of innings he's topped out at 2.0 WAR before this season. 

Here’s where I’m at, if we keep the big 3 together then we have a pretty realistic shot of being over .500 for the next 7-8 years.

or 

We trade up to 2/3 of them and go for a WS this year???

At 40, I want to see a WS, but also… the team has sucked a large portion of my adult life. The winning is fun and maybe a WS with all the rounds is more flukey than we think?

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Skubal is one of, if not, the best starting pitcher in baseball. 

He’s 27, still arbitration eligible. Making less than $3m, and has 2.5 years left.

To get him you need a Soto like trade haul. Which means it’s going to require one of Holliday or Basallo, Mayo, Norby and McDermott. Who knows…probably more.

I look at the Soto trade as a borderline disaster for the Padres, so this doesn’t do much to convince me. 

• Upvote 1

Basallo, Bradfield, Povich, Norby? 

A couple major league ready guys and a couple others that are close. One of which is a very well regarded prospect. 

Not interested if it takes more than one of our top 3. I don’t think the Tigers would take the deal I mentioned though. Not without including one of Mayo or Holliday in there also. 

Obviously, the best answer is take Skubal for free if we also take on Baez and his contract. 🤠

11 minutes ago, ExileAngelos said:

Astonishing how people value Holliday now vs 3 months ago.  I would say either Holliday as a centerpiece of any two of the following should get a deal done:  Mayo, Kjerstad, Basallo.

Right, people here think he's a bust, there is no denying it, it's truly astonishing.

1 minute ago, Malike said:

Right, people here think he's a bust, there is no denying it, it's truly astonishing.

It’s also the hype died down too nationally. He went from 19 year old phenom to 20 year old struggling rookie. Nineteen just sounds so different in baseball. 

We’re talking about trading Mayo and Basallo too on here.  It’s not just Jackson. We might have to deal 1. Hopefully not 2. 

59 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

The Soto trade (at the time):

• Abrams (#9 overall, Padres #1 at start of season)
  • Gore (Padres #4)
  • Hassell (#21 overall, Padres #1 at time of trade)
  • Wood (#88 overall, Padres #3)
  • Susana (Padres #14)

Skubal isn’t Soto, as he’s older than Soto at time of trade, and he’s a pitcher but similar years left on contract and similar effectiveness. 

I don’t think Skubal should get the same haul, but close to it.

I would agree and the Padres owner was desperate to win a World Series, so I think they gave less consideration to what they were giving up. Elias isn’t going all in looking at it as Skubal or bust to win the World Series. 

I don’t like the idea of giving up a monster haul and then see the pitcher acquired come down with a sore elbow next spring training. I’d prefer higher priced veteran pitchers that don’t cost as much in prospects.

I’m not opposed to a Skubal trade, but if a bidding war heats up it’s not worth the risk given the frequency pitchers get hurt today. 

• Upvote 3