Trading for Tarik Skubal

Greg Pappas

3 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

What’s more valuable a second catcher to split time with Adley or an all-star/Cy Young caliber pitcher?

The pitcher …the guys here are overvaluing prospects. Id honestly trade quite a lot if it got us a ring.

Edited by Roll Tide

23 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

The pitcher …the guys here are overvaluing prospects. Id honestly trade quite a lot if it got us a ring.

Doesn’t guarantee us a ring. That’s the risk. We could survive a package of Holliday, EBJ, McDermott, Norby, Stowers, and Willems.  

Honestly, we could survive a lot but trading two of the big three would be just bidding against ourselves. 

7 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Again there is nothing in terms of precedent in the last 10 years that suggests a pitcher of Skubal’s pedigree/career achievements with that amount of control left can bring back a Soto kind of haul. Look at Soto’s season average in terms of WAR and look at Skubal’s. The two are not similar in terms of value.

Either Morosi is serving as a mouth piece for the Tigers in order to overstate Skubal’s value and drive up the price? Or he is serving his heart’s interest as a New Yorker and Yankee fan.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Doesn’t guarantee us a ring. That’s the risk. We could survive a package of Holliday, EBJ, McDermott, Norby, Stowers, and Willems.  

Honestly, we could survive a lot but trading two of the big three would be just bidding against ourselves. 

Nothing can guarantee anything. But adding that kind of SP would give us the best chance possible (barring injury) this season and for the next few.

Trading 2 of Holliday, Mayo, Basallo is not even on the table or a part of any realistic discussion/scenario. That kind of haul has not been landed for a pitcher and certainly not in this current era of MLB where prospects/cheap young players are more valuable than ever.

Maybe Paul Skenes (currently) could land that kind of haul? Otherwise, the value proposition is not there to be considered. Skubal hasn’t even amassed a 10.0 career WAR and before this year didn’t even have a 5.0 WAR season. He simply not worth anything close to that, no matter what irrational fear or fandom suggests. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jagwar said:

Who are the FA pitchers available in the offseason? (other than Burnes)

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/free-agents/_/year/2025/position/sp/sort/contract_value

Here's how future free-agent classes look Here's how future free-agent classes look

Notable free agents for 2024-25

Starting pitcher: Gerrit Cole (opt-out), Blake Snell (opt-out), Justin Verlander (vesting option), Max Scherzer, Corbin Burnes, Clayton Kershaw (player option), Max Fried, Shane Bieber, Jordan Montgomery (vesting option), Walker Buehler, Nathan Eovaldi (vesting option), Robbie Ray (opt-out), Alex Cobb, Kyle Hendricks, Charlie Morton, Freddy Peralta (club option), Merrill Kelly (club option), Lucas Giolito (player option), Sean Manaea (opt-out), Michael Wacha (player option), Wade Miley (mutual option), Michael Lorenzen, Lance Lynn (club option), Kyle Gibson (club option), Luis Severino, Frankie Montas (mutual option), James Paxton, Jack Flaherty, Yusei Kikuchi, Patrick Corbin, Anthony DeSclafani, Nick Pivetta, Martín Pérez, Domingo Germán, Marco Gonzales (club option), Andrew Heaney, Eric Lauer, John Means, Zach Plesac, José Quintana, Michael Soroka, Ross Stripling, Spencer Turnbull, Luke Weaver, Alex Wood

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I'd rather hold on to everybody and go with what we have. World Series be damned. Say goodbye to Santander, Urias and Mateo in the offseason, sign FA pitchers

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I’m not suggesting we should … that deal is probably in the ballpark. 

36 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

I'd rather hold on to everybody and go with what we have. World Series be damned. Say goodbye to Santander, Urias and Mateo in the offseason, sign FA pitchers

Who? 

Other than Max Fried (and potentially Cole depending how the year ends and if he opts out) what other pitchers are as good as Burnes? And even if we spend the big money to sign Burnes in the offseason, we are right back where we are right now with not enough pitching IMO. We have Burnes now (one of the best pitchers in MLB) and the pitching isn’t good enough as is.

Have you checked out our runs allowed in the last 25 games? Hint …. It’s abysmal.

18 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Who? 

Other than Max Fried (and potentially Cole depending how the year ends and if he opts out) what other pitchers are as good as Burnes? And even if we spend the big money to sign Burnes in the offseason, we are right back where we are right now with not enough pitching IMO. We have Burnes now (one of the best pitchers in MLB) and the pitching isn’t good enough as is.

Have you checked out our runs allowed in the last 25 games? Hint …. It’s abysmal.

I’ve posted in a different thread but we have 27 million committed to next years contracts and 12 million of that is Kimbrel with an opt out. Elias was able to add 30 million to last years payroll with Burnes and Kimbrel before Rubenstein. With the way our pitching is so dire I don’t see any reason we can’t allocate 50 million to this upcoming free agency. Would Burnes at 35 million and 2 year 30 million dollar deal for Kikuchi or Wacha be out of realm of possibility?  Especially when you are clearing 37 million in Burnes, Kimbrel and Santander. 

8 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

I’ve posted in a different thread but we have 27 million committed to next years contracts and 12 million of that is Kimbrel with an opt out. Elias was able to add 30 million to last years payroll with Burnes and Kimbrel before Rubenstein. With the way our pitching is so dire I don’t see any reason we can’t allocate 50 million to this upcoming free agency. Would Burnes at 35 million and 2 year 30 million dollar deal for Kikuchi or Wacha be out of realm of possibility?  Especially when you are clearing 37 million in Burnes, Kimbrel and Santander. 

That does not include any extensions which we certainly need to be pursuing with everything we’ve got. We cannot allow (arguably the most talented player in our 70 year history) leave during his prime. 

Major league pitchers these days are like current NFL running backs.  And I think more and more GMs are starting to see this. 

Neither are that important to a teams overall success.

NFL rbs because the NFL has become a passing league.  Remember when the NFL was all about running the ball?  Not now.  Hence why NFL Rbs scream about being underpaid.  But they are all replaceable.  They are a dime a dozen.  Hence they don't get paid much.  Because they are not worth much in a league that is about passing the ball. 

Major league elite starting pitchers?  They used to throw 7 innings to complete games.  Pitch every 4-5 days.  Now?  They pitch maybeeee 5-6 innings and get injured constantly.  And yet demand $300 M for 7 year.   How is that worth it? 

There is no way the modern MLB elite starting, or even average starting pitcher, is worth what you have to pay money wise or give up to trade for.

You are much better off having an elite bullpen, which costs much less, that can cover innings 6 through 9 than pay these starters this kind of cash.   Not only does the bullpen pitch in more intense situations, not only do they cost way less, but they also can pitch more than once every 5 days.   And they don't seem to get injured as much.  Which I am sure is result of they just pitch less innings.  Hence why I would not offer a boat load for any of the starting pitchers being talked about here.

Even Burnes....as good as he is...I don't know if he was worth the hype and what we gave up.  Strickly because he is gone after this year.  Starting pitchers are just not worth it. 

Edited by OnlyOneOriole
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1