The Elephant in the Room - The Red Sox

On 7/19/2024 at 3:34 PM, Orioles0615 said:

9-11 in the past 20 games. Red Sox could easily catch us

We’ve played TERRIBLE and STILL were only two games under .500 for those 20 games. We’ll be fine. 
Believe me, I was just as furious as anyone else when the bullpen tried hard to give back the game today, but eh, we won. We’ll be fine. 

One thing that really really bothers me about the Red Sox is that they managed to get a terrific rule five pitcher in Justin Slaten, and Mike did not even bother to make a pick in the rule five draft. That’s incredibly foolish.

Slaten was gone before the Os would have picked, but he’s not the only rule 5 success this season. Even if it didn’t work out, selecting a rule 5 pitcher is nothing more than a $50,000 chance, a possibility. And Mike just IGNORED it.

Absolutely no excuse.

3 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

One thing that really really bothers me about the Red Sox is that they managed to get a terrific rule five pitcher in Justin Slaten, and Mike did not even bother to make a pick in the rule five draft. That’s incredibly foolish.

Slaten was gone before the Os would have picked, but he’s not the only rule 5 success this season. Even if it didn’t work out, selecting a rule 5 pitcher is nothing more than a $50,000 chance, a possibility. And Mike just IGNORED it.

Absolutely no excuse.

You have to make a 40 man roster spot for that player or players in rule 5.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Malike said:

Huh, the elephant in the room appears to have seen a mouse the past two nights.

I’m sure Red Sox ownership and GM couldn’t be happier. It’s like the major league movie over there.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, HowAboutThat said:

Yeah. So?

So, you have to like whoever you draft enough to make a spot on the 40 man. Elias has selected rule 5 guys before and apparently this year no one struck his fancy. If he missed on a specific player I think that's fine to criticize but to act like it's some egregious sin to not select anyone is over the top. 

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

So, you have to like whoever you draft enough to make a spot on the 40 man. Elias has selected rule 5 guys before and apparently this year no one struck his fancy. If he missed on a specific player I think that's fine to criticize but to act like it's some egregious sin to not select anyone is over the top. 

Right.  Whomever you are making 40 room for was deemed by their own team to not be worth putting on the 40 man.

To me the real action that could lead to complaint is if your team leaves unprotected the guy that blows up. 

Edited by Can_of_corn

On 7/20/2024 at 6:42 AM, sportsfan8703 said:

Hopefully this will be a RJ thread. 

The Red Sox have the best pitching in the AL East. I’m not saying that I’m terrified of them. Just pointing out that they have arrived. Can’t stick that rebuilding label on them anymore and they have the potential to factor into this race. 

Imagine when their owner spends some money wisely on hitting.

8 hours ago, HowAboutThat said:

Absolutely no excuse.

We have now someone complaining that we DIDN’T take a rule 5 guy. I mean, the term “you can’t make everyone happy” is never more obvious than visiting a sports team message board.

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

We have now someone complaining that we DIDN’T take a rule 5 guy. I mean, the term “you can’t make everyone happy” is never more obvious than visiting a sports team message board.

At least he did not complain about not making 2 Rule 5 selections, or the previous Administration sending a certain Yankee back. But Hey at leat they made 3 that year.

5 minutes ago, Safelykept said:

At least he did not complain about not making 2 Rule 5 selections, or the previous Administration sending a certain Yankee back. But Hey at leat they made 3 that year.

I'm happy the O's have enough talent in the system they don't have any room for rule 5 picks and teams are fighting over the O's scraps like the O's used to fight over good teams' leftover players.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I'm happy the O's have enough talent in the system they don't have any room for rule 5 picks and teams are fighting over the O's scraps like the O's used to fight over good teams' leftover players.

Well said, me too.