Organizational Turmoil?

Roll Tide

I don’t have time to find it but Hyde made interesting comments after one of the Marlins games. He said something along the lines of we are all frustrated and guys are worried about individual accomplishments and forgetting we are a team. My first thoughts were for Gunnar and Westburg who were struggling but Hays and Mullins makes sense.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Not just friends, but colleagues in the MLBPA.

Iron sharpens iron is fun to say while a group is growing together, but inevitably the sharpest tools get put to the work at hand, and the others go back to the smelter.

Iron also dulls iron.

Depends on how they interact.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Anything more specific?   What negative thoughts?

Just what @398 to Leftsaid in his post.  I was sitting in my car listening to the whole interview and Law said something like his reporting that Hayes wouldn’t be that missed in the locker room.  It surprised me and Bob never followed up on it.  It was just a quick remark like that.  

• Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Where is there smoke though? The article reads to me as "the O's are losing, I wonder what the clubhouse dynamic is like?"

Supposedly Hays "verified" the quote but the only thing I've heard that he's said is he likes the Phillies chances to win the WS.

Agreed every player will say that going to a new team.  What they gonna say man that team is awful their organization is run terrible.   It’s always the same cliche responds.  I like our chances that are a team competing or if you go to a bottom team it is I like my chances to play they are an upcoming team with some young talent that I think I can help.  

32 minutes ago, gamiliel said:

No, Adley and Gunnar must be the leaders.

Adley could lead by hitting better.  He went 5-5 vs the Astros and we were 24 games over .500 going into that game. Since then he is hitting .133 and the team has been awful.  

41 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Many major league players don’t make a top 100 prospect list. Stowers has a .797 OPS. What else does he need to do? We’ve picked up a kid from the Phillies who has proven over 3 or 4 seasons that he’s not a MLB hitter and can’t be sent down. It was a stupid pick up…. Get the reliever and a A ball player. 

I think Pache is actually kind of safe in a traditional 5th OF role because he is still young enough and has shown enough flashes that my guess is Orioles Player Development is actually excited for a winter with him.     That take goes to 11 if Mullins is removed as a 2025 roster option anytime in the next few days.

He also perhaps closes the door on the fun EBJ as Terrance Gore postseason role scenario.

2 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I think Pache is actually kind of safe in a traditional 5th OF role because he is still young enough and has shown enough flashes that my guess is Orioles Player Development is actually excited for a winter with him.     That take goes to 11 if Mullins is removed as a 2025 roster option anytime in the next few days.

He also perhaps closes the door on the fun EBJ as Terrance Gore postseason role scenario.

I think there is a 80% chance Mullins is gone by Monday. I’m assuming for another BP arm.

If we were winning and not scuffling, I doubt this would even be a topic. If Hays was really being a problem in the clubhouse then good riddance. We need to get back to winning baseball. 

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

Where there smoke ….

How is this different from any other competitive environment?

Someone wins.  Someone loses.  Someone gets a job because of something out of their control and gets jealous.  

The only difference (and we don't even know the degree) is that a goal is to increase org value through prospect development (like we've seen in many other orgs). Which will put pressure on people to perform.  Does pressure reveal or develop character?  Both?  (Maybe that's why it's part of the draft focus?)

Mental and emotional toughness augments skill.  "When the going gets tough...."

Empathy and whatnot is fine, but there's a job to do too.  And blaming someone else os pointing at management is a victim mentality.  None of these guys are victims, even Hays.  They've all earned it and are fighting for it.  Including Hyde and Elias.  Hays may be frustrated, he may have even vented off the record.  And that's a motivator.  It's the first time some of these guys are experiencing a professional set back.

There will be more.  And we/media consumers, will feed the drama.

It's life.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

I think there is a 80% chance Mullins is gone by Monday. I’m assuming for another BP arm.

Luis Castillo, clap clap...clap clap clap.

Seattle's uncertain local TV revenue situation has had them acting weird for a while now.     We've talked about their cheap pitchers a bunch of times, but it seems like moving an expensive pitcher more natural.    I'm sure Cal Raleigh will love it, but Jerry Dipoto could minimize his risk of Raleigh taking another big dump over his management of the team's roster if good MLB options like Mountcastle, O'Hearn or Mullins are part of it.

20 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

It was also interesting they moved Kjerstad locker to where Hays had been. 

Some enterprising Phillies beat reporter needs to get video of Hays watching the highlight of Kjerstad's LF mishap last night so everyone can parse the body language, assuming Hays could resist outright snickering.

8 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Luis Castillo, clap clap...clap clap clap.

Seattle's uncertain local TV revenue situation has had them acting weird for a while now.     We've talked about their cheap pitchers a bunch of times, but it seems like moving an expensive pitcher more natural.    I'm sure Cal Raleigh will love it, but Jerry Dipoto could minimize his risk of Raleigh taking another big dump over his management of the team's roster if good MLB options like Mountcastle, O'Hearn or Mullins are part of it.

When did Raleigh dump on Dipoto?

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

Many major league players don’t make a top 100 prospect list. Stowers has a .797 OPS. What else does he need to do? We’ve picked up a kid from the Phillies who has proven over 3 or 4 seasons that he’s not a MLB hitter and can’t be sent down. It was a stupid pick up…. Get the reliever and a A ball player. 

.797 talk about SSS on 36 ABs, what about last year comparible SSS .218, >643 for career (only 200 ABs) Play or trade him its only fair.

7 minutes ago, casadeozo said:

When did Raleigh dump on Dipoto?

A reporter got him in a moment of candor around when the Mariners were eliminated by the Rangers at the end of last year.     This very same thing happened to the Orioles driven in part by the Rangers trying harder in 2023.

Naturally Raleigh issued a prepared apology the next day, as usually happens anytime cliches kayfabe is broken.

https://apnews.com/article/seattle-mariners-cal-raleigh-ebff52780251f58c55b7c4124d85dc21

“Anytime you can add, I mean look over in the other locker room right there, they’ve added more than anybody else and look where it got them,” Raleigh said. “There’s more than one way to skin a cat, that’s for sure. But going out and getting those big names, people who have done it, people who have been there, people who are leaders, people who have shown time and time again that they can be successful in this league is definitely what would help this clubhouse.”