Eloy Jimenez aquired

eddie83

19 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

You're right he may not last two months

If he doesn't produce, he won't, IMO.   Even Elias sort of said it: “We hope we can get Eloy on a heater."   If not, goodbye.

I'm reminded a bit of how we traded for Tim Beckham at the deadline in 2017 and he went absolutely insane for a month, before turning back into a pumpkin.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That $0.26 mm we are paying for the rest of this year is basically the prorated major league minimum.   

Good post.

Extremely low risk, very high reward.

Mayo is up, think folks need to calm down. Who is Eloy taking ABs away from that was swinging a hot stick? I reckon nobody. 

Just now, OnlyOneOriole said:

Really makes you wonder why they wanted rid of him so badly.  They basically are paying him to go away.  

Because the White Sox are awful and cheap and Eloy is expensive next season. 

They were going to be on the hook for his full salary the rest of this year *and* a $3m payout. This was they save nearly a couple million.

If Eloy stinks, the O's cut bait. If the O's pull a O'Hearn or Hicks, then it's all gravy from here on out. 

2 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Good post.

Extremely low risk, very high reward.

Mayo is up, think folks need to calm down. Who is Eloy taking ABs away from that was swinging a hot stick? I reckon nobody. 

How is it very high reward?

For that matter how is it extremely low risk?

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

How is it very high reward?

For that matter how is it extremely low risk?

Extremely low risk = only DH/PH duties, not in field, making extremely little cash, O's have shown some ability to make mechanical tweaks to hitters, and the O's are currently weak on the RHH side of things, especially lately

Very high reward = mechanical tweak could mean Eloy fixed *or* very situational stats where you could take advantage of his upside (i.e. maybe more rest gives better output, who knows). He's had 2 10/11 game stretches this year with some very good/decent numbers:

• 4/20 - 4/29: 317 AVG, 925 OPS
  • 5/14 - 6/25 : 293, 780

Now, don't get me wrong. I'll be irked if he's stealing meaningful ABs from, say, Mayo (assuming he's hitting well) or others that aren't struggling. 

I'll remind people about Aaron Hicks. And I'm going to use him as an example putting aside his defensive abilities (which aren't great!) compared to Eloy's (which are bad):

Hicks put up 2.5 years of awful offensive output for the Yankees. The O's pick him up mid-season when Mullins went down, everybody loses their minds about how awful Hicks is and he pretty much immediately turns things around. 

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

He has a .790 career OPS….if he finds himself that would be a high reward 

League OPS is down so let's say 775.

How impactful is a 775 OPS weak side DH with no foot speed over a two month period?

Keep in mind that even when he's hitting well he isn't a guy that crushes lefties.

Looking at the total package even if he stays healthy and hits it's a moderate bump at best.

21 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That $0.26 mm we are paying for the rest of this year is basically the prorated major league minimum.   

That makes me feel better about the trade.  

Also nice to see that Rubinstein picked up 1.5 million basically to hope someone gets hot.  Doubt previous owners would have done that.  

6 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Extremely low risk = only DH/PH duties, not in field, making extremely little cash, O's have shown some ability to make mechanical tweaks to hitters, and the O's are currently weak on the RHH side of things, especially lately

Very high reward = mechanical tweak could mean Eloy fixed *or* very situational stats where you could take advantage of his upside (i.e. maybe more rest gives better output, who knows). He's had 2 10/11 game stretches this year with some very good/decent numbers:

• 4/20 - 4/29: 317 AVG, 925 OPS
  • 5/14 - 6/25 : 293, 780

Now, don't get me wrong. I'll be irked if he's stealing meaningful ABs from, say, Mayo (assuming he's hitting well) or others that aren't struggling. 

To me rostering someone that performs at the level he has thus far is risk.