Eloy Jimenez aquired

eddie83

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m thinking the Eloy honeymoon is about over.  .125/.125/.218 over his last 24 PA.   He’s also one of the slowest runners I’ve ever seen.  25.0 ft/sec sprint speed, 501st of 527 major leaguers.   He had a grounder up the middle today that would have been an infield hit for 90% of all players, but not for Eloy.  Pair that with his ground ball tendencies and it’s a pretty brutal combination.  He seems like a really likable guy and a good teammate, but if he can’t pick it up with the bat soon, I’d just drop him.  

Mayo was always the better option at DH, Elias has to stop his OCD obsession with reclamation projects. Dumpster diving is fine when your team is tanking and rebuilding, not when you're fighting for a playoff spot and trying to improve the team's chances of advancing in the playoffs.

The only "upside" about how Elias and Hyde mishandled Mayo is that Mayo will still have rookie eligibility for 2025. 

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

How is this dude that big, but have no power?  Also, zero chance he’s is listed age. 

He hits for a ton of power.  Above 90% percentile for hard hit% and average exit velocity.  

Unfortunately this years he's hitting everything on the ground.  

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think it was just to keep Mayo in the minors.

Could be true. I remember after the Marlins series before the deadline Hyde commented postgame on the struggling and said something like “and the answer is to get younger?”.

Eloy also was free or paid down by another team. Just like McCann. Soto and Dominguez are castaways too. 

The team probably needed a vet bat like JD Martinez in the offseason, but we don’t have that budget. So Elias got us Eloy, which is the best he was capable of getting given availability/budget. 

I hope ownership chooses to spend to not only keep our guys around, but to supplement the team to try and win a WS. 

On 8/22/2024 at 3:38 AM, sportsfan8703 said:

How is this dude that big, but have no power?  Also, zero chance he’s is listed age. 

In last night's in-game interview, he said that he had never been a power guy - that he had always hit for average, ground balls and line drives, even from the time he was getting started in his teens.  He was asked if he was that guy who just bashed the ball when playing games in the neighborhood, and he said nope, was never that guy. 

• 2 weeks later...

Picking up Eloy was a reasonable idea at the time, and we didn't give up much to get him.  But here are the results:  

29 G, 87 AB, 22 H, 1 HR, 7 RBI, 4 BB, 21K, .253/.293/.345/.638.  

And he started off hot with the O's.  He's slashing .167/.231/.271 over his last 15 games.  

He's the first position player that should go as soon as anyone is ready to come off the DL.  I'd rather have Heston Kjerstad in the lineup than Eloy, even if we are facing a LHP.  

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

Picking up Eloy was a reasonable idea at the time, and we didn't give up much to get him.  But here are the results:  

29 G, 87 AB, 22 H, 1 HR, 7 RBI, 4 BB, 21K, .253/.293/.345/.638.  

And he started off hot with the O's.  He's slashing .167/.231/.271 over his last 15 games.  

He's the first position player that should go as soon as anyone is ready to come off the DL.  I'd rather have Heston Kjerstad in the lineup than Eloy, even if we are facing a LHP.  

Couldn’t agree more.  Though we have a lot of chaff on the roster right now.  He’s basically Jesus Aguilar with a more fun personality.  

• Upvote 1