Eloy Jimenez aquired

eddie83

2 hours ago, terpoh said:

Just DFA him already. Hopefully thats the move if Kjerstad is ready over the next few days. I doubt his rehab stint would need to be crazy long if hes feeling ok.

If they DFA Eloy, do they still have to pay his $1.5M buyout?

3 hours ago, Orioles0615 said:

Kimbrel has a club option too, should be the two easiest decisions. But I am sure they will make it complicated 

I have a better chance of getting a contract next year from the Orioles than Kimbrel. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

There was a bandwagon?

Crazy enough, yeah. the fact that KB was gushing over him and they gave him an in person interview during game probably got some fans excited about him. 

There's probably 50-100 guys in AAA right now that are better than Eloy.  

• Upvote 1

I was definitely on the Eloy bandwagon re: give him a shot, see if some tweaks can get some more flyballs out of him. They definitely got some value out of him for a couple weeks, but that's fallen off a cliff. Think the main issue at play here is that Mayo just has looked all kinds of lost. If he came up and was gangbusters, then he probably inherits the DH spot by default. But he looked terrible. And, as we all know, Norby could have probably been an option, but he was traded. 

Really the problem is nobody on this team is hitting aside from Gunnar, Tony at times, Ceddy for a stretch there, and maybe Austin Slater for a stretch. Everybody else has been god awful. That leaves the options at DH on this roster slim pickings. 

That said, for better or worse, this club has the following players that could fill that gap in any given game: Mayo, Maton, Soto, Rivera

I think it's clear that they're now using Maton/Rivera in some sort of platoon at 3B.

I have no idea why Soto is on this roster. 

So, really I think it's prudent to just give those ABs to Mayo and let him sink/swim the remainder of the season. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

I was definitely on the Eloy bandwagon re: give him a shot, see if some tweaks can get some more flyballs out of him. They definitely got some value out of him for a couple weeks, but that's fallen off a cliff. Think the main issue at play here is that Mayo just has looked all kinds of lost. If he came up and was gangbusters, then he probably inherits the DH spot by default. But he looked terrible. And, as we all know, Norby could have probably been an option, but he was traded. 

Really the problem is nobody on this team is hitting aside from Gunnar, Tony at times, Ceddy for a stretch there, and maybe Austin Slater for a stretch. Everybody else has been god awful. That leaves the options at DH on this roster slim pickings. 

That said, for better or worse, this club has the following players that could fill that gap in any given game: Mayo, Maton, Soto, Rivera

I think it's clear that they're now using Maton/Rivera in some sort of platoon at 3B.

I have no idea why Soto is on this roster. 

So, really I think it's prudent to just give those ABs to Mayo and let him sink/swim the remainder of the season. 

I tend to agree.  But the problem is Mayo is mostly sitting on the bench...it's hard enough for a veteran to get hot getting sporadic at-bats but it's incredibly harder for a rookie.  If Hyde isn't going to play him, I'd rather Mayo be at AAA getting reps at 1B and/or RF since his future with the club isn't at 3B.

53 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

Or Westburg...Urias...and even Mateo. 

I'm glad you mentioned Mateo. People severely underrate Mateo's presence on this team. I don't think it's an accident that the defense really started falling apart after Mateo got hurt. 

He was also a reliable RHB against lefties. Most of his struggles were against RHPs, so there was a world in which you platoon Holliday/Mateo until Holliday really established himself as an all around starter. The quality of lefties up here is much different than the ones down there, and we do see Holliday struggling against them (108 AVG, 449 OPS vs. 195, 572). Yes, those numbers against righties aren't really great, either, but this team was at its best when the defense was at its best.

As things stand today, we're starting O'Hearn at 1B, which is a step down from Mountcastle. Holliday at 2B, which is a step down defensively from Mateo, and a bunch of randoms at 3B instead of Westy/Urias. I don't think it's a mystery when Gunnar has struggled defensively in their absence. I think he's a young guy who thinks he needs to be extra in light of the injuries/struggles and that can be a real mental hit.

Edited by LookitsPuck
  • Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

I'm glad you mentioned Mateo. People severely underrate Mateo's presence on this team. I don't think it's an accident that the defense really started falling apart after Mateo got hurt. 

He was also a reliable RHB against lefties. Most of his struggles where against RHH pitches, so there was a world in which you platoon Holliday/Mateo until Holliday really established himself as an all around starter. The quality of lefties up here is much different than the ones down there, and we do see Holliday struggling against them (108 AVG, 449 OPS vs. 195, 572). Yes, those numbers against righties aren't really great, either, but this team was at its best when the defense was at its best.

As things stand today, we're starting O'Hearn at 1B, which is a step down from Mountcastle. Holliday at 2B, which is a step down defensively from Mateo, and a bunch of randoms at 3B instead of Westy/Urias. I don't think it's a mystery when Gunnar has struggled defensively in their absence. I think he's a young guy who thinks he needs to be extra in light of the injuries/struggles and that can be a real mental hit.

Totally agree with your point about Mateo. Hugely underrated loss. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, LookitsPuck said:

I was definitely on the Eloy bandwagon re: give him a shot, see if some tweaks can get some more flyballs out of him.  

I guess I just don't understand what magic hitting fairy dust the Orioles can put on a guy in the middle of a season that makes a hitter suddenly start hitting the ball in the air? 

Do you have any examples of where the Orioles tweaked an acquired hitter in the middle of the season and made them better?  

• Upvote 1