Orioles acquire Gregory Soto

eddie83

6 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

Soto can be controlled for next season, its a fair value swap still. Especially with 2025 starting to look promising with Bautista coming back. I don't hate this trade...yet

Soto, at his best, is no better than guys we picked up on waivers or super minor trades, including Webb, Burch Smith, Coulombe, Pérez.    He’s not worth his option but they’ll probably pick it up to try and justify the trade.   When Coulombe comes back Soto is arguably one of the last guys you want to see come into the game and the 3rd or 4th left hander.

45 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Soto, at his best, is no better than guys we picked up on waivers or super minor trades, including Webb, Burch Smith, Coulombe, Pérez.    He’s not worth his option but they’ll probably pick it up to try and justify the trade.   When Coulombe comes back Soto is arguably one of the last guys you want to see come into the game and the 3rd or 4th left hander.

No better than Coulombe is a pretty high standard. Coulombe has a 2.41 ERA with K/BB over 9. Soto doesn't have to be better than Coulombe to be worth his option.

I see 2 time All Star Soto as a solid setup man for Bautista next season  and the guy who gets the save opportunities on the days Bautista can't pitch.

The pen next year should be a huge positive for the O's.   Bautista, Soto, Cano, Dominguez, Coulombe, Akin, Perez, Webb.   Very solid.

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

No better than Coulombe is a pretty high standard. Coulombe has a 2.41 ERA with K/BB over 9. Soto doesn't have to be better than Coulombe to be worth his option.

I said he was no better than more than just Coulombe.

15 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Since the O's coaches changed his delivery Soto has been better in his last 10 scoreless appearances then just about any reliever.

During those 10 scoreless games: 9.1 IP, 4 H, 2  BB, 11 K.

12 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Since the O's coaches changed his delivery Soto has been better in his last 10 scoreless appearances then just about any reliever.

He got a little lucky last night. Line drive deep in the gap that Cowser flagged down with only a 55% catch probability, followed by a long fly ball right to the fence in CF.  Then a single before another fly out.  Not really a great outing despite a good result.  

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He got a little lucky last night. Line drive deep in the gap that Cowser flagged down with only a 55% catch probability, followed by a long fly ball right to the fence in CF.  Then a single before another fly out.  Not really a great outing despite a good result.  

He’s likely had outings where he got singled to death or something like that too. It all evens out.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He’s likely had outings where he got singled to death or something like that too. It all evens out.

I agree.  I’m just saying that just because he’s had 10 scoreless outings in a row doesn’t mean he pitched well in all ten.  Overall, I’m satisfied with the progress he’s made recently and hopeful it will continue.  

42 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I said he was no better than more than just Coulombe.

He is way, way better than Burch Smith, especially at his best. I'd say he is overall "no better" than Webb and Perez, meaning about even with them, but at his best he is certainly better. They are all about 2 WAR for their careers but only Soto has a 30 save season as a closer. I think he is pretty interchangeable with Perez as he is, but peak Soto would be ahead of all but Coulombe. And who knows how many years Coulombe has left.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I agree.  I’m just saying that just because he’s had 10 scoreless outings in a row doesn’t mean he pitched well in all ten.  Overall, I’m satisfied with the progress he’s made recently and hopeful it will continue.  

We have data from about 4 years that says Gregory Soto is a pretty ok, nothing special, reliever.  He walks too many, doesn't strike out a ton of guys, and gives up runs like a pretty average reliever.