2024 Trade Deadline Aftermath

Sanfran327

4 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

I think this was a very good trade for the Orioles.   Even if Rogers is "only" a 5th starter next season, I think this was worth it for two guys that really didn't have a position to play in Baltimore. 

I wonder if Elias would have hoped to get someone like Luzardo for Stowers/Norby, and he just wasn't available. 

5 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

I think this was a very good trade for the Orioles.   Even if Rogers is "only" a 5th starter next season, I think this was worth it for two guys that really didn't have a position to play in Baltimore. 

A 5th SP on a contender is like a #3.5 on a non contender.  

32 minutes ago, interloper said:

I wonder if Elias would have hoped to get someone like Luzardo for Stowers/Norby, and he just wasn't available. 

Is Luzardo healthy enough to pitch?  Miami was asking for Mayo or Basallo last offseason, obviously his value has dropped, but they would probably rather him try to rebuild value than accept Norby + Stowers.

16 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Trevor Rogers get not good news for the odds of John Means as a 2025-2026 Oriole.

Pitching injuries occur.  Maybe $3 million is too much for 2025.  This is more about 2026.  What I saw in Means when he returned would make me want to take a chance at him in a low cost deal.  Ideally the O's would have pitching prospects ready to debut in 2025 and 2026, but if you're an O's fan your response is what are pitching prospects, I only know hitting.

54 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

The fact that Norby and Stowers had no future here shouldn’t factor into whether we gave up too much or not.   I think it was a fair trade.  

52 minutes ago, interloper said:

Norby was never going to headline a deal for Luzardo.   Stowers had little value.

Just now, RZNJ said:

The fact that Norby and Stowers had no future here shouldn’t factor into whether we gave up too much or not.   I think it was a fair trade.  

I think it's fair. It's definitely Elias' riskiest trade of the deadline, but he made, what, 7 trades? Taken as a whole, having 1 trade on the edge of being iffy seems pretty good. Especially considering the dire situation we were in. 

Elias himself said himself "we're hoping for a bounceback". I hope there's more going on than simply hope, like they have good reason to believe in a bounceback, and I'm pretty confident they do. 

Big start for him today...

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Those three possible picks, plus our own first rd pick, plus we get a comp pick in rd B this year for being poor.  The being poor pick alternates between comp pick rds A and B each year.  Last year we traded our "being poor" pick for Burnes.  

Thanks for your help . I like the “being poor “ description lol 

This team will have a plan for Rogers. I think they will decide between the sinker and fastball. His change up and slider are good pitches but he’s not getting them over consistently. John Means seems like a decent comp unless he gets some velo back. Wonder if he was holding some back pitching for Marlins with no shot at extension.