Deadline trades effect on payroll

wildcard

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I give David kudos because John would not have done it.

Maybe not, but I don’t think that’s as obvious as some posters think.  In any event, I’d expect any reasonable owner to approve this level of a deadline increase.  

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Maybe not, but I don’t think that’s as obvious as some posters think.  In any event, I’d expect any reasonable owner to approve this level of a deadline increase.  

Reasonable being the key word there. 

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Reasonable owners?  What is that? 50% of them?  70% of them.

On Foul Territory they were saying that the Mariners could not add payroll.  To add the hitter(s) the need they needed to trade away an equal amount of  salary.  And its been that way for a while.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

On Foul Territory they were saying that the Mariners could not add payroll.  To add the hitter(s) the need they needed to trade away an equal amount of  salary.  And its been that way for a while.

What is their payroll compared to ours?

21 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I give David kudos because John would not have done it.

John is the one who expanded the payroll from ~$70m to nearly $100m going into this season in the first place. I'm pretty confident Angelos would have approved a paltry $7m added to the payroll for the remainder of 2024.

Now, what I'm not clear on is what impact this has on 2025. Eflin is making $18m next year.

Soto, Rogers are both arb eligible still. Soto making $5m this year, Rogers $1.5m. Dominguez has an $8m team option for next year. Eloy has $16m+ on the books next year unless the O's buy him out for $3m. Kimbrel has a $13m team option ($1m buyout) for next year. 

It's still very early. I'm not sure Rubenstein has shown any cards about what he'd do next year. We need to see what happens in the offseason. If he doesn't sign any multi-year deals or extend any players, I think it's going to feel dramatically like more of the same, just with hats being thrown to people.

12 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Mariners have been steadily adding payroll.

$50m in 2020, $84m in 2021, $116m in 2022, $128m in 2023, $153m in 2024. They've effectively doubled their payroll in 3 years. 

38 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Honestly these are modest payroll increases for a contender to take on, especially considering how low payroll was to start.   I don’t think Rubinstein deserves any major kudos here.

Exactly.  We really haven't seen Rubenstein spend much.  Elias had to set this money aside in his initial budget because the sale wasn't complete until around OD.  

Unless we extend Adley and Gunnar this offseason what will we even learn?  Burnes is going to get crazy money, so that can be easily dismissed.  We have replacements for Santa.  We get Bautista back to replace Kimbrel.  A 1 year deal by picking up Eloy's option would just simply be following the same 1 year deals for Lyles, Gibson, and Kimbrel.  

I'm glad we have Rubenstein, but this is Elias doing all this under the assumption of what his budget has been.  

• Upvote 1

I really don't see the additional 7M for this year being a new versus old ownership issue.  I don't think either would have balked at this cost for what we've obtained.  We basically checked all of the need boxes we had, now we just have to hope that it pans out for us.

I wouldn't worry too much about next year's payroll yet.  If anything taking on Eflin knowing his cost for next year does one thing, it adds 18M to this year's budget as it goes forward to 2025.  It's akin to a commitment to spend that money on either resigning Eflin or a comparable replacement for him.  (I do think JA might have balked a little at that, tho)   Does that necessarily mean that that contract is going to set next year's budget at 118M, tho?   No.  In fact, I think we'll wind up being closer to 140m or maybe even 150M by next year.  Burnes and Santander are both candidates to be re-signed, imo.

As some here are beginning to point out, I think they are going to have to allow the minors to regroup a little, which would necessarily require additional FA spending.

Really 2025 might be set if we want.  Eflin(18), Dominguez(8), and Eloy(16.5), replace the salaries to Burnes(15.6), Kimbrel(13), and Santa(11.7).  42.5 million replacing 40.3 million.  Pretty close.  That's a big IF we bring back Eloy.  If not, he has a 3 million buy out.  

41 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Really 2025 might be set if we want.  Eflin(18), Dominguez(8), and Eloy(16.5), replace the salaries to Burnes(15.6), Kimbrel(13), and Santa(11.7).  42.5 million replacing 40.3 million.  Pretty close.  That's a big IF we bring back Eloy.  If not, he has a 3 million buy out.  

He's gotta prove an awful lot to exercise that 16.5 million.