I want to say this about Coby Mayo (All Inclusive)

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Oh I know what you meant. Not sure why others took it to mean something different

Because he mentioned being close with the Mayo family. Not hard to extrapolate why that might start rumors on a message board, especially when paired with the overall vitriol of the OP. I personally didn't take it that way, but totally understand those who would ask to clarify. 

Edited by interloper

By the way, I am not sure it is impossible that Kjerstad might also retain eligibility for 2025 Prospect Promotion Incentives.

He has surpassed I believe 45 days of service, but not 130 at-bats, and was just optioned as anticipated.

Bookmakers are giving odds on Luis Gil for Rookie of the Year even though he has a large amount of MLB service time due to injuries.

If Luis Gil is in the race now, I am not sure why Heston Kjerstad wouldn't be next year should he under 130 career at bats entering 2025.

26 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I 100% believe Gunnar's a SS, and a damn good one.

I also 100% see this flurry of errors, know what the yips are, and think he might need some games off at SS.

Holliday, Urias and Mayo can't fill in there. 

And what if it hits really early in a game and he makes a couple of errors? You need a plan B and the O's don't really have one if Mayo's the guy who takes the roster spot.

Holliday is a shortstop 

21 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Temporarily.

I stand by that. He might need to get his head straight.

Elias needs to give Hyde a plan B. Sticking your fingers in your ears and saying I can't hear you is not a solution. I hope it doesn't come to this, but you can't ignore the possibility. 

He's made 6-7 errors in a week. Maybe he needs a mental reset by playing at 3B or even DH. Having Mayo on this team pretty much eliminates that possibility.

Right.  You can make errors at 3B too.   He has to grind through this and he will.    Once you move him from SS you’re making the perceived problem even bigger.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s not 2 weeks. People keep saying 2 weeks. If the goal is to “preserve rookie status”, he needs to be down 4 more weeks, give or take a day or so.

Only if he’s going to play every day.  Cowser had 43 days of service last year (two shy of the threshold) but only 61 at bats, far under the 130 AB threshold.  

Just now, RZNJ said:

Right.  You can make errors at 3B too.   He has to grind through this and he will.    Once you move him from SS you’re making the perceived problem even bigger.

Some DH time here and there for Gunnar would be nice, though, I think. And in order to do that, you have to have a capable backup SS. They clearly want to just leave Holliday alone at 2B while he's in the big leagues, so I think the Soto add makes a lot of sense. 

And if it doesn't work or the offense looks terrible again, they can try Mayo. 

31 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I 100% believe Gunnar's a SS, and a damn good one.

I also 100% see this flurry of errors, know what the yips are, and think he might need some games off at SS.

Holliday, Urias and Mayo can't fill in there. 

And what if it hits really early in a game and he makes a couple of errors? You need a plan B and the O's don't really have one if Mayo's the guy who takes the roster spot.

If he truly had the yips, every play would be shaky or be an adventure.  Some of the errors were fielding and some were on throws and plenty of good plays and routine plays in between.  It’s not the yips.   That’s not to say it’s not in his head some but there’s a difference.

If he could play passable 3B defense he'd be up right now, but he isn't. He's not up in the Jimenez role right now because I'm sure they'd rather he get constant at bats at AAA then a periodic start once a week and maybe 10 ABs a week. It's not a conspiracy or a slight. You can't have a guy trying to learn to play adequate 3B in a pennant race. 

39 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

Apparently my comments are being misinterpreted. First, Coby is not "bitching", I am. I think it's ridiculous he hasn't gotten a chance to help us.He's been an extremely hard worker who works every day on his defense.He has never uttered a negative word about being passed over. He's a terrific kid with a team  oriented ethic. I am baffled as to how people on this page said I think he's whining or complaining . He is not. I am.

I didn't take it that way solely because I've read your posts for many years and I understand your, let's say, passion.

It is not baffling at all to see how anyone else could interpret from your post that you've heard that Mayo is not happy and that he may hold this against the team in the future.  

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Reasonable people can disagree on this. 

I'd argue that because 3B requires a lot less movement and thinking, it's an easier position to play and he might get his feet under him by moving there for a few games.

I'd let the SS stuff play out a little more first. Hopefully this is just a bad couple of weeks and we quickly works through it. That's certainly possible.

8 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

By the way, I am not sure it is impossible that Kjerstad might also retain eligibility for 2025 Prospect Promotion Incentives.

He has surpassed I believe 45 days of service, but not 130 at-bats, and was just optioned as anticipated.

Bookmakers are giving odds on Luis Gil for Rookie of the Year even though he has a large amount of MLB service time due to injuries.

If Luis Gil is in the race now, I am not sure why Heston Kjerstad wouldn't be next year should he under 130 career at bats entering 2025.

Kjerstad is over the 45 days of service barrier. 

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

Some DH time here and there for Gunnar would be nice, though, I think. And in order to do that, you have to have a capable backup SS. They clearly want to just leave Holliday alone at 2B while he's in the big leagues, so I think the Soto add makes a lot of sense. 

And if it doesn't work or the offense looks terrible again, they can try Mayo. 

Soto is certainly the backup SS at this point. 

By the way, I really look forward to having a healthy and experienced Holliday and Westburg. This whole backup SS issue goes away. It's just a weird spot for the O's now with Westburg hurt and Holliday trying to settle in as a big leaguer. 

I get that we all want to see Mayo, but the more I think about it, the more it makes sense. What team doesn't have a backup SS?

Edited by LookinUp
typo

Bottom line: Mayo will be part of the Orioles major league squad for a long time. Sure we all want to see hit bat up here now but we need to wait just a bit longer. He'll be here soon enough.