Trevor Rogers 2024

Just Regular

Just now, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

Most on here seem to be saying Rogers shouldn’t be assumed to be rotation piece next year. You almost have to assume the Orioles are going to want to pencil him in. I know it’s very possible we can’t get him back to where he was, but if he’s not cracking the rotation in the spring, then he’s got no real future here. 

He definitely deserves a chance, but he shouldn't be handed a spot over someone like Suarez who pitched to a 3.50 ERA when we needed him most. 

10 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

He definitely deserves a chance, but he shouldn't be handed a spot over someone like Suarez who pitched to a 3.50 ERA when we needed him most. 

I still think he has to earn it, no doubt. I’ll just be disappointed if we traded for a guy that can’t beat out a Suarez/Kremer/Povich for a backend rotation spot after undergoing whatever tweaks we’re gonna try.

Jury is out and I can’t shake how bad Rogers looked compared to when we saw him in 2021. But I’m hoping his age and some tweaks will help him regain form and earn a rotation spot.

I’m not going to lie though, I always hate diminished velocity. 

Edited by Grt 2BA FL Gator

1 hour ago, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

I still think he has to earn it, no doubt. I’ll just be disappointed if we traded for a guy that can’t beat out a Suarez/Kremer/Povich for a backend rotation spot after undergoing whatever tweaks we’re gonna try.

Jury is out and I can’t shake how bad Rogers looked compared to when we saw him in 2021. But I’m hoping his age and some tweaks will help him regain form and earn a rotation spot.

I’m not going to lie though, I always hate diminished velocity. 

Rodgers' best year was his rookie year and he's been downhill since.

I look at Rogers as pitching depth.    The O's have used 32 pitchers so far this season.   I am sure Rogers will figure into next years team somewhere.    If Povich, McDermott or Young are better than him next spring so be it.   Rogers has options.

As far as trading Norby and Stowers for him, I am sure they were both offered to Tampa and Philly as well as all the 29 teams as Elias looked for pitching.   A back end starter in Rogers is the best that was offered.

Elias' mission at the deadline was to improve the O's pitching without trading Holliday, Basallo, Mayo or Kjerstad.   He did that.   I am sure he didn't want to trade prospects for veterans but that was the situation he and the team were in.

Someone on the O's staff thinks they can make Rogers into an asset.  They would not have traded for him otherwise.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

I look at Rogers as pitching depth.    The O's have used 32 pitchers so far this season.   I am sure Rogers will figure into next years team somewhere.    If Povich, McDermott or Young are better than him next spring so be it.   Rogers has options.

As far as trading Norby and Stowers for him, I am sure they were both offered to Tampa and Philly as well as all the 29 teams as Elias looked for pitching.   A back end starter in Rogers is the best that was offered.

Elias' mission at the deadline was to improve the O's pitching without trading Holliday, Basallo, Mayo or Kjerstad.   He did that.   I am sure he didn't want to trade prospects for veterans but that was the situation he and the team were in.

Someone on the O's staff thinks they can make Rogers into an asset.  They would not have traded for him otherwise.

Agree with this. Let the trade play out. Has to be some other plan than 4 Sh*t starts and a demotion. Sans injuries he probably no more fit into this Post Season than Norby or Stowers. Maybe he can be a future piece.

5 hours ago, wildcard said:

Norby and Stowers for pitching depth, Seth Johnson for a bum. 

Heckuva job, Mikey. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dystopia said:

Heckuva job, Mbikey. 

You are entitled to your an opinion but Gregory Soto does not look like a bum to me.  Just a guy that needed his mechanics fixed.   Now he is string scoreless innings together.

Edited by wildcard

42 minutes ago, wildcard said:

You are entitled to your an opinion but Gregory Soto does not look like a bum to me.  Just a guy that needed his mechanics fixed.   Now he is string scoreless innings together.

In 5 seasons he has a career 2.3 WAR, and a career ERA+ of exactly 100 including an appalling 58 this season.

It’s not really something to write home about

2 hours ago, HowAboutThat said:

The only comments I am aware of that Elias has made about Rogers is his two years of control. Did he comment on anything else?
Did he say, “we can fix him “or something like that?

“He’s had a couple of funky injuries,” Elias said. “He’s had some lat injuries to both sides of his back. He’s missed some time from that. He’s still young, he gets a lot of ground balls, he throws from the left side. Both of those things are something that our rotation has been lacking a little bit. There’s a few years of control with him, and you get a really good pedigree. So we’re hopeful for a bounce back. But he fits a profile and a need in our rotation. He’s shown that he’s got the ability to be anywhere from a No. 3 to a No. 5 starter in the past, and any one of those things we’ll welcome with open arms right now.”

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/elias-tackles-variety-of-topics-after-trade-deadline

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

“He’s had a couple of funky injuries,” Elias said. “He’s had some lat injuries to both sides of his back. He’s missed some time from that. He’s still young, he gets a lot of ground balls, he throws from the left side. Both of those things are something that our rotation has been lacking a little bit. There’s a few years of control with him, and you get a really good pedigree. So we’re hopeful for a bounce back. But he fits a profile and a need in our rotation. He’s shown that he’s got the ability to be anywhere from a No. 3 to a No. 5 starter in the past, and any one of those things we’ll welcome with open arms right now.”

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/elias-tackles-variety-of-topics-after-trade-deadline

Is there a way to sticky a post within a thread? Because this could be used to respond to dozens of comments about what the FO was thinking with this one. 

Rogers was acquired as a mid to back end SP, to address a need for arms now and with hope to help him rebound to the higher end of that range over those years of control.

As usual, whether you agree with them or not, Elias stated his intentions clear as day. 

1 minute ago, Spy Fox said:

Is there a way to sticky a post within a thread? Because this could be used to respond to dozens of comments about what the FO was thinking with this one. 

Rogers was acquired as a mid to back end SP, to address a need for arms now and with hope to help him rebound to the higher end of that range over those years of control.

As usual, whether you agree with them or not, Elias stated his intentions clear as day. 

Shame he's pitching like a #8.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, dystopia said:

Heckuva job, Mikey. 

Soto is not a "bum" and how about we let the trades play out a bit. What if Norby/Stowers/Johnson/Chace turn out to be nothing and Soto helps us down the stretch and in the playoffs, and Rogers bounces back to be a solid #4 next year?

4 minutes ago, terpoh said:

Soto is not a "bum" and how about we let the trades play out a bit. What if Norby/Stowers/Johnson/Chace turn out to be nothing and Soto helps us down the stretch and in the playoffs, and Rogers bounces back to be a solid #4 next year?

Exactly.  Let’s just see what happens. I do view the trades a little differently, because Norby and Stowers were redundant of other good young players we have, while pitching prospects like Johnson and Chace are never redundant.