Trevor Rogers 2024

Just Regular

Keep in mind with improving pitching at the deadline is the fact that the price was insane.  This is looking like Elias would have been better off with just acquiring Eflin and calling a day regarding the rotation.  

Also keep in mind, Norby was projecting as a utility player for the O's and Stowers a 4th outfielder.  At 26, Stowers is not much of a prospect.  Would have been interesting to see what Norby and Stowers would have brought in the off-season.  

At least Rogers has options left, they are looking like they will be used.

At this point, they have to option/IL Rogers and send him to the in-season pitching lab where they sent Hall and Wells last year. Both Hall and Wells looked broken, but came back with their stuff back after that. 

Rogers has to be out of gas physically at this point and pushing him is only going to get him hurt again. His velocity continues to decline and he barely cracked 90 mph average on his fastball and sinker yesterday. He’s made 24 starts now - in 2022 he made 25, in 2023 he made 23 and he missed almost all of last year.

Last night they pushed the pitch mix as far as they could toward whiffs - 33% changeups, many more four seamers than sinkers, and still a high rate of sliders - and he came away with 5 whiffs.

This version of Rogers is just not going to cut it. Give Young a shot, or if Povich is ready for another one go for it. If nothing else, Rogers right now is not meaningfully different than Cole Irvin again.

The priority needs to switch towards fixing / improving Rogers and not continuing to roll him out there as a guy who is not really any better than other #5 SP options and is presumably at high risk for serious injury every time he starts right now. 

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

At this point, they have to option/IL Rogers and send him to the in-season pitching lab where they sent Hall and Wells last year. Both Hall and Wells looked broken, but came back with their stuff back after that. 

Rogers has to be out of gas physically at this point and pushing him is only going to get him hurt again. His velocity continues to decline and he barely cracked 90 mph average on his fastball and sinker yesterday. He’s made 24 starts now - in 2022 he made 25, in 2023 he made 23 and he missed almost all of last year.

Last night they pushed the pitch mix as far as they could toward whiffs - 33% changeups, many more four seamers than sinkers, and still a high rate of sliders - and he came away with 5 whiffs.

This version of Rogers is just not going to cut it. Give Young a shot, or if Povich is ready for another one go for it. If nothing else, Rogers right now is not meaningfully different than Cole Irvin again.

The priority needs to switch towards fixing / improving Rogers and not continuing to roll him out there as a guy who is not really any better than other #5 SP options and is presumably at high risk for serious injury every time he starts right now. 

Would not be surprised if hes the next to go down with injury. Somethings up. There is no way Elias would have traded for this if this how he looked for Miami.

13 hours ago, dystopia said:

Rogers is awful, but hey, at least we have him for a few years. 

Reminds me of the Woody Allen joke about the merchant who loses money on every sale but makes it up in volume.  

I didn't love the trade at the time and I still don't love it. But the price reflected the amount of time we're gonna have Rogers on the cheap(ish).

So I think it's important to withhold judgment until the org has an opportunity to work with the kid. But it sure would be nice if he gave us a "now" boost. He certainly hasn't yet and the stuff isn't exactly inspiring.

Would we be better with Povich, Irvin or Young? Maybe... it sure wouldn't hurt if Henderson, Mountcastle, Rutschman, Mullins etc... started hitting again. 

He’s down 3 mph on his FB and sinker (and dropping). His command is off.  He’s not missing bats and is getting hit hard.  We are looking at the shell of Trevor Rogers.  Something is off big time.  I wouldn’t be surprised to see him get shut down soonish to try and get him healthy.  With control & options I see him as a long term project and dept for next year.  He is not going to help us this year.  It will be interesting to see how what he looks like this time next year. 

The other question I have about the Rogers trade is, did Elias look too much long term with the move?

Dont get me wrong, I was all for him grabbing a starter just like this for the long term. Someone whose value had dropped but had good upside. I would rather have had Detmers but whatever.

But by trading who you did, could you have gotten someone in the pen that is arguably more important right now? Did Elias not look at the here and now enough or was the idea of moving Suarez to the pen enough of a third arm?

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The other question I have about the Rogers trade is, did Elias look too much long term with the move?

Dont get me wrong, I was all for him grabbing a starter just like this for the long term. Someone whose value had dropped but had good upside. I would rather have had Detmers but whatever.

But by trading who you did, could you have gotten someone in the pen that is arguably more important right now? Did Elias not look at the here and now enough or was the idea of moving Suarez to the pen enough of a third arm?

He was definitely looking beyond this year, but he really had to with the state of our pitching pipeline (as many here have noted). I expected him to move Stowers and Norby for pitching and that is exactly what happened. IMO, the question is whether he could have gotten anyone better but I'm not really seeing any better alternatives of the pitchers who actually moved. 

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

He was definitely looking beyond this year, but he really had to with the state of our pitching pipeline (as many here have noted). I expected him to move Stowers and Norby for pitching and that is exactly what happened. IMO, the question is whether he could have gotten anyone better but I'm not really seeing any better alternatives of the pitchers who actually moved. 

I don’t get this question unless you mean, could he have gotten someone better even if that guy was only a rental?

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I didn't love the trade at the time and I still don't love it. But the price reflected the amount of time we're gonna have Rogers on the cheap(ish).

So I think it's important to withhold judgment until the org has an opportunity to work with the kid. But it sure would be nice if he gave us a "now" boost. He certainly hasn't yet and the stuff isn't exactly inspiring.

Would we be better with Povich, Irvin or Young? Maybe... it sure wouldn't hurt if Henderson, Mountcastle, Rutschman, Mullins etc... started hitting again. 

What does the amount of control matter though if we don't want him around?  I think the CWS wanted the younger/higher ceiling prospects that they got from the LAD then what we were willing to offer.  I think Toronto, and Elias, weren't big on making an intra-division trade.  

We dangled Norby/Stowers for a SP.  Getz wanted younger players.  We probably didn't want to face Norby/Stowers in the division.  

Povich?  Irvin?  Brandon Young?  Bullpen games?  A waiver wire pickup?  Tucker Davidson?  Kiefer Morfe?  haha

I sort of like the Tucker Davidson option.  He's "been there" before.  We might be able to get some Spenser Watkins/Austin Voth magic out of him.  

Edited by sportsfan8703

The lack of stuff we're seeing from Rogers makes me wonder if we were traded damaged goods.  Does anyone know if there is any formal grievance process through the league if a team feels they were traded a player the former team knew was injured?