The Baltimore two-step

Frobby

It is always curious to evaluate a move, or series of moves, that seem to lack any rationale.

It’s one thing to see the reasoning and disagree with it, quite another to have no idea why it was done.

Edited by HowAboutThat

2 hours ago, btdart20 said:

My guess is that certain decisions need Elias approval.  

Vavra and Soto were default decisions that Hyde/Eve/Frobby can make

But Holliday and Mayo?  "Some clocks are more equal than others."

I don’t think any personnel moves are made without Elias’ approval.

6 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I think Vavra was in town on the taxi squad as a just in case.  No idea about Mayo. 

That is my theory on Varva move.  We made the trade around 2 that afternoon.  Vavra was probably the just in case guy, if we needed someone on Tuesday and was close by.  Norfolk had a semi double header on Tuesday in Charlotte because they had  to finish a rain shorted game first.  
The Mayo decision is hard to tell right now because we don’t know who he replacing, it might be injury or they might have just wanted him to get 2 games in at third since he had been playing him at first some lately.  

Or maybe Elias just really is in panic mode due to the Os poor play as of late, and not confident of the moves he is making so he is just throwing darts against the wall.

A few of his trade deadline trades seemed that way to me.

Hope I am wrong. 

• Downvote 2

Conspiracy Theory:

Mayo is up now because the initial data they are seeing on Westburg's injury indicates a shorter-than-expected recovery time (i.e. 6 weeks) so they believe they will be able to option Mayo back to AAA before he exceeds the rookie threshold, which is why they waited a day before promoting him- to get a clearer idea of Westburg's recovery time.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Conspiracy Theory:

Mayo is up now because the initial data they are seeing on Westburg's injury indicates a shorter-than-expected recovery time (i.e. 6 weeks) so they believe they will be able to option Mayo back to AAA before he exceeds the rookie threshold, which is why they waited a day before promoting him- to get a clearer idea of Westburg's recovery time.

That's where I'm at. Mayo could obviously make it impossible to send him down,  but the likelihood is that he's going back to Norfolk for a couple of weeks before he breaks rookie status.

10 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Conspiracy Theory:

that's galaxy brain level thinking and i like it.

31 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Conspiracy Theory:

It’s possible, therefore it is correct!

Yay conspiracy theories!

Actually, considering that Cowser is now front runner for rookie of the year, it’s quite possible that they are indeed thinking that they don’t want to waste a potential ROY candidacy, so they will do whatever they can do to maintain mayo rookie status for next year.

That’s quite good! A conspiracy theory that actually makes sense!

47 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

A conspiracy theory that actually makes sense!

Most "conspiracy theories" make at least some degree of sense, otherwise they would have no advocates, so I would argue that a believable level of plausibility is the bigger hurdle. 

Like, the idea that the JFK assassination was a joint CIA-Mossad operation makes a ton of sense from a purely "cui bono" perspective, but most people wouldn't consider it very plausible.

1 hour ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Conspiracy Theory:

We’ll see what the corresponding roster move is. If it’s to send down Soto, then this would make sense.

My conspiracy theory is it will be to IL Eloy Jimenez for the minimum 10-day stint because he’s been playing through a hamstring injury (which Hyde or Elias did say yesterday), which may be causing issues with his mechanics/swing plane causing him to hit everything on the ground (my hopeful spin on it).

10 days to rehab Eloy’s hammy and try to tinker with his mechanics. Then send Mayo back down and call him back up on September 1. Total less than 45 days, he retains ROY eligibility. Also gives Mayo a taste of MLB pitching so he has something to work on back in AAA for a couple weeks before September 1.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Most "conspiracy theories" make at least some degree of sense, otherwise they would have no advocates, so I would argue that a believable level of plausibility is the bigger hurdle. 

Like, the idea that the JFK assassination was a joint CIA-Mossad operation makes a ton of sense from a purely "cui bono" perspective, but most people wouldn't consider it very plausible.

Most conspiracy theories I know, such as the moon landing was faked, are so loopy you need a tin hat to even listen to them. 
Maybe we just have different definitions, but I think by definition, a conspiracy theory has to be utterly crazy in order to be a conspiracy theory.

BTW, always been a huge fan of Carl Sagan.