The positives - August 2024

kidrock

I’m trying to get out of my negative mood and figured I need to look at some positives:

1. The Roy jokes were unbelievably funny.  Roy - thanks for always wearing your emotions of your sleeve, you love this team.  

2. How many balls has Holliday hit hard to the opposite field since coming back up?  Maybe three?  Seems more comfortable.

3. The defense will get better.  Just not sure how it gets worse or even stays the same.

4. Mayo drew two walks in his debut.

5. At some point, Hollidays patience will pay off and he won’t be dealing with a 50 inch wide plate.

6. Adley can’t get any worse, can he?

7. This is Santander’s final ride. Have grown to really like the player.

i don’t know guys, help me out here with some positives?

• Upvote 1

I actually think the offense has looked much better the past week or so.  I think Hyde putting Cowser at leadoff and Gunnar at 3rd has been a nice move.  As you said Holliday looks a lot better.  I feel a lot less hopeful watching the offense now than I did on that homestand before the break. 

Just now, glenn__davis said:

I actually think the offense has looked much better the past week or so.  I think Hyde putting Cowser at leadoff and Gunnar at 3rd has been a nice move.  As you said Holliday looks a lot better.  I feel a lot less hopeful watching the offense now than I did on that homestand before the break. 

Sorry...a lot MORE hopeful haha. 

The Yanks have been bad the last month also....that is a positive (since this is a positive thread, I won't mention the prospects we gave up vs. what we got back....it is possible that the GM actually made this team WORSE, not better)

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, gamiliel said:

The Yanks have been bad the last month also....that is a positive (since this is a positive thread, I won't mention the prospects we gave up vs. what we got back....it is possible that the GM actually made this team WORSE, not better)

Phillies have really struggled as of late.  Dodgers haven’t been great.  The high occurrence of pitching injuries is brutal.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I saw the other day that no team is on a 100 win pace.

Fun fact: The last time no team won 100 games was 2014 (not counting the 2020 COVID season).  

• Upvote 1

It’s hard to find positives when things are a dumpster fire. We can blame injuries all we want to the starters. The problem is that has nothing to do with the offense or the defense. I can’t understand a philosophy that doesn’t preach work the count and get a good pitch to hit. I don’t know what happened to Gunnar and Adley, but the fix has to start with them. 

I hated the trade deadline other than Eflin and Reilly. I feel like we added a bunch of projects that somebody is hoping to fix. I pennant race with a struggling team was not the place.

I really don’t understand the pick ups of Pache (why was he trade capital if we were just going to cut him loose), Eloy is a mess and an injury liability. The Yankees pushed the right button with Chisholm and I’d be shocked if Eloy survives the season.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

It’s hard to find positives when things are a dumpster fire. We can blame injuries all we want to the starters. The problem is that has nothing to do with the offense or the defense. I can’t understand a philosophy that doesn’t preach work the count and get a good pitch to hit. I don’t know what happened to Gunnar and Adley, but the fix has to start with them. 

I hated the trade deadline other than Eflin and Reilly. I feel like we added a bunch of projects that somebody is hoping to fix. I pennant race with a struggling team was not the place.

I really don’t understand the pick ups of Pache (why was he trade capital if we were just going to cut him loose), Eloy is a mess and an injury liability. The Yankees pushed the right button with Chisholm and I’d be shocked if Eloy survives the season.

Pache was in the deal because the Os might have kept him and because the Phils probably wanted us to take him for roster purposes since they acquired an OFer for him.

4 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Thanks for all of your help with the positives.   Nice job!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, glenn__davis said:

Since the ASB, the offense is averaging 5.73 runs per game (5th in MLB) and has an.800 OPS (6th).   There are individuals who are struggling and some bad games post-ASB, but generally the offense hasn’t been the problem.   

• Upvote 1

1) Holliday looks a lot more comfortable this time around.

2) Gunnar is hitting the ball hard again.

3) Cowser looks like a stud who has made adjustments.

4) Mayo did not look overmatched in game 1.

5) Team looks a lot more patient at the plate. Still need to hit with RISP, but seems like we're getting more guys on base via walk/non-homer recently.

6) Despite the early showings, I still believe our pitching staff is much improved with the trade additions. I will give them all more than one appearance to show that. Lets not forget Flaherty looked like Corbin Burnes in his first start last year. 

7) Cant get much worse, right? .... RIGHT?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, kidrock said:

I’m trying to get out of my negative mood and figured I need to look at some positives:

1. The Roy jokes were unbelievably funny.  Roy - thanks for always wearing your emotions of your sleeve, you love this team.  

2. How many balls has Holliday hit hard to the opposite field since coming back up?  Maybe three?  Seems more comfortable.

3. The defense will get better.  Just not sure how it gets worse or even stays the same.

4. Mayo drew two walks in his debut.

5. At some point, Hollidays patience will pay off and he won’t be dealing with a 50 inch wide plate.

6. Adley can’t get any worse, can he?

7. This is Santander’s final ride. Have grown to really like the player.

i don’t know guys, help me out here with some positives?

I am  fan of Roy jokes as long as they are playful and not nasty. Holliday is gaining confidence and bat control.The umps have been ridiculous with balls and strikes in some of his at bats.On the defense, only one error last night was on a play that should have been made.Also Gunnar made a terrific play in the first inning.He'll figure it out. Too much talent. Adley is starting to hit the ball a bit harder, but he still hits a lot of dribblers to the right side.Needs to elevate the ball.He'll be ok too.Santander is a fine player. I dont see the Orioles paying him 25 million a year for 4-5 years, unless he REALLY wants to stay in Baltimore for 20 million a year for 3 years.I love my Orioles and wish they can come out of the growing pains  phase. This is a super young team, but most of the pitching is mediocre or worse. They must have better pitching next year, they cant win anything without it. 

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

I am  fan of Roy jokes as long as they are playful and not nasty. Holliday is gaining confidence and bat control.The umps have been ridiculous with balls and strikes in some of his at bats.On the defense, only one error last night was on a play that should have been made.Also Gunnar made a terrific play in the first inning.He'll figure it out. Too much talent. Adley is starting to hit the ball a bit harder, but he still hits a lot of dribblers to the right side.Needs to elevate the ball.He'll be ok too.Santander is a fine player. I dont see the Orioles paying him 25 million a year for 4-5 years, unless he REALLY wants to stay in Baltimore for 20 million a year for 3 years.I love my Orioles and wish they can come out of the growing pains  phase. This is a super young team, but most of the pitching is mediocre or worse. They must have better pitching next year, they cant win anything without it. 

Sometimes, it’s the playful Roy jones that get me through a bad game like last night.

question for you Roy, were you on everybody loves Raymond for an episode onetime?  I thought I remember that from years ago?  If so, what was the show like, did you get to talk to any of the actors? That show was hilarious.