8/4 @ Cleveland, Burnes vs Williams

SilverRocket

1 minute ago, Gurgi said:

Usually these guys go to whoever pays them the most.  I will say that if we win the World Series and he sits down with the Orioles and we pony up a respectable offer he might sign with the Orioles just to be on a young team that has a great chance to win for the next half decade.  Unlikely but it is possible he would resign with us.  If we are close to the big offers it might be hard to totally ignore us.  

If another team is at say 7 years, $275 mill and the O's are at 7 years, $265 mill does Burnes give the O's a second thought before signing w/ the team w/ a higher offer?  I'm guessing no.  Burnes has never expressed any desire to remain an Oriole long term.  He has only said he's going to free agency and will presumably go to whichever team is the high bidder.  At least he's honest about it.  He didn't say it, but he didn't bother w/ the I'd love to stay an Oriole for live bs.

Just now, OnlyOneOriole said:

Not a big fan of the way Holliday catches those pop ups. Off to the side and low.    I am sure he has done that for a  long time and is used to itm but to me it leaves a lot of potential for an error rather than staying directly under the ball and catching it in front of your face like you are taught.  

Yeah we are going to get used to him making tons of errors until he decides to grow up.  Like Adam Jones and blowing bubbles when catching the ball in the outfield.  He lied and said it was just a habit and he was not trying to do it.  He was.  He had one game where he dropped a ball he was under against the Yankees and the Orioles got beat.  He never did it again.  

So we will have to live through some misery till he figures out how to do it right.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

If another team is at say 7 years, $275 mill and the O's are at 7 years, $265 mill does Burnes give the O's a second thought before signing w/ the team w/ a higher offer?  I'm guessing no.  Burnes has never expressed any desire to remain an Oriole long term.  He has only said he's going to free agency and will presumably go to whichever team is the high bidder.  At least he's honest about it.  He didn't say it, but he didn't bother w/ the I'd love to stay an Oriole for live bs.

I don’t live in Maryland, how are the taxes there? 

2 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

If it was that close, I would think the Is would match

1 minute ago, Uli2001 said:

I said he is one of the top pitchers in the league. Do you disagree with anything I wrote?

He looks out of shape part and the contract part. I see allbig pitchers deals and think that they will not be worth that much on the field. It isn't a Burnes problem, it is a paying a guy that much to be useful every 5th day problem. 

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Angel cared, it helped torpedo his lawsuit.

You mean the lawsuit where he was arguing that his performance as an umpire was so outstanding that he deserved to be assigned playoff games? That lawsuit? 

1 minute ago, Roy Firestone said:

Actually, if you look at the comments...I wrote Coby is flailing. I was critical.So there you go.

Is he still mad at the Orioles for not calling him up? Because he looks bad. Baseball is very humbling. He obviously is gonna be a good hitter, and it’s good for him to learn that it’s an absolute different beast in the MLB. But I’d be shocked if he doesn’t have to go back down like Holiday.