Who will be our position player September callup?

Rosters expand now from 26 to 28 on 9/1. There is no longer an August waiver trade period. We lost Pache on waivers recently. That opens up the need/role for a potential RH CF. 

It’s been assumed that Kjerstad, or a SS like Soto, would be the call up?  However, does a RH CF option make sense?  We currently don’t have one in the org. 

Could we see a Hicks, or McKenna, reunion?  Maybe a team releases a vet like a Pillar type from the Angels?

Kjerstad is the prohibited favorite at the moment though. Even though, barring injury, he’s a bit redundant. Basallo as a 3rd C???

Edited by sportsfan8703

Really unclear right now since we don’t know when Westburg and Mateo will be back, either.

I also still think it will be on the radar to sneak Mayo back to AAA for a couple weeks at some point before the end of the year so he’s ROY eligible next year - not a requirement if he’s doing well and contributing, but maybe if he warrants a reset.

If not Kjerstad, I expect it will be pinch runner / defensive replacement types that don’t require adding a prospect to the 40-man early (like EBJ or Fabian). Not exciting. Could even be Hunt or Handley if they want to be able to pinch hit / pinch run for McCann without having Adley need to come into catch, and evaluate them for whether they warrant offseason 40-man spots. 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Slater can play CF

I wasn't sure of this.  Thanks.  I see the Giants just released Mckenna.  RH CF vs LH SP is a very niche role.  Also, would we want any of the realistic options starting a playoff game?  Is it enough of a role where Aaron Hicks comes off the couch?  Or would we want him back?  The Mckenna ship may have sailed as well.  We'll see.  

58 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Really unclear right now since we don’t know when Westburg and Mateo will be back, either.

I also still think it will be on the radar to sneak Mayo back to AAA for a couple weeks at some point before the end of the year so he’s ROY eligible next year - not a requirement if he’s doing well and contributing, but maybe if he warrants a reset.

If not Kjerstad, I expect it will be pinch runner / defensive replacement types that don’t require adding a prospect to the 40-man early (like EBJ or Fabian). Not exciting. Could even be Hunt or Handley if they want to be able to pinch hit / pinch run for McCann without having Adley need to come into catch, and evaluate them for whether they warrant offseason 40-man spots. 

We know Mateo is on the 60 day IL and cannot be activated until September 22, so we certainly know he won't be a Sept 1 addition to the roster.

3 hours ago, Say O! said:

Kjerstad and Soto

then Westy once healthy

Westburg is on the DL not the AAA roster.

I expect Soto and Kjerstad. If Mayo doesn’t hit then they will probably send him out long enough to preserve his rookie status. 

5 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Slater can play CF

And even if he can’t, he plays LF and Cowser played center like we’ve already seen. One of Cowser/Mullins is going to play every gsme. You won’t and shouldn’t see them both on the bench simultaneously barring injury.