Vance Honeycutt

wildcard

9 minutes ago, Chaka Garcia said:

When does he start playing? I haven’t see any announcements since he signed. 

Nobody has said.  I’d expect either this coming Tuesday, or the following Tuesday.  

Edit: Most, but not all, of the college hitters chosen ahead of Honeycutt have made their debuts in the last week or two.  

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, wildcard said:

So is that with Holliday, Basallo and Mayo ahead of him?

I think that is what was implied and that is how I would rank them. Holliday and Mayo both just need to cross the 130 AB, or 45 days on the MLB roster, for them to lose eligibility. 

In the offeason, it will like be Basallo #1, then a battle for #2 spot between Honeycutt and EBJ. Maybe Estrada gets in the discussion if he blows up at Aberdeen.  

10 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

I keep waiting to hear something on Honeycutt playing somewhere. What's the delay, or did I miss it?

The delay is that he didn’t sign until July 30.   He’s in Sarasota.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/10/2024 at 3:52 PM, wildcard said:

Where will he be placed on the O's prospect list?

Looks like Tony was correct.

MLB Pipeline placed him 4th on our prospect list.

UNC Baseball: Vance Honeycutt debuts in MLB Pipeline's Orioles' top 30 prospects list (keepingitheel.com)

As far as when will we see him in game action?   this is something i've been curious about as well.   Using Bradfield as an example from '23.

Bradfield was drafted on July 9th.   Signed on July 17th.  (wow, quick turnaround).   And he saw his first action in the FCL on August 4th.

Honeycutt was drafted on July 14th.   Signed on August 1st.    So if Bradfield started playing in games 18 games after being signed.............. that means Honeycutt should start by approximately ........... today.   heh.   Hopefully this doesn't get dragged out much further.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Aglets said:

Looks like Tony was correct.

MLB Pipeline placed him 4th on our prospect list.

UNC Baseball: Vance Honeycutt debuts in MLB Pipeline's Orioles' top 30 prospects list (keepingitheel.com)

As far as when will we see him in game action?   this is something i've been curious about as well.   Using Bradfield as an example from '23.

Bradfield was drafted on July 9th.   Signed on July 17th.  (wow, quick turnaround).   And he saw his first action in the FCL on August 4th.

Honeycutt was drafted on July 14th.   Signed on August 1st.    So if Bradfield started playing in games 18 games after being signed.............. that means Honeycutt should start by approximately ........... today.   heh.   Hopefully this doesn't get dragged out much further.

EBJ's last game at Vandy was on June 3rd and he made his debut on August 4.  Honeycutt's last game was on June 18th, so that again would align with him playing any day now.  

Edited by sportsfan8703

I've gotta say, the lower the draft pick, the less interested I am about their debut.  

That's not to say I'm not happy about VH...I am.  But not really pining about his debut date and first impressions and how he looks in whatever small sample size the rest of the season holds.  Way more interested in the ML club...this is what we've been waiting for.

• Downvote 2

20 hours ago, Aglets said:

Obviously the ML club is what matters most.  But Honeycutt is a more intriguing player than anyone else we have drafted since Holliday in '22, so I think it makes sense that there are a few of us that are excited to see his debut.

Honeycutt is going to have a lot of eyes on his debut because he has the potential to zoom up top prospect lists if it looks like the Orioles have answers to his hit tool question. He won’t be able to play much before the end of the year, but the early returns in even a small sample could go a long way in indicating in how he’ll develop going forward. 

• Upvote 1