Pitching Depth Possible Call Ups Include Brandon Young Per Elias

Roll Tide

Elias named the usual suspects when going over the pitching depth in the organization. Triple-A Norfolk’s Chayce McDermott is shelved with a shoulder injury but Cade Povich and Cole Irvin are candidates to return. But Elias also mentioned Norfolk right-hander Brandon Young, signed for $20,000 as an undrafted free agent in the truncated 2020 draft out of Louisiana Lafayette.

You won’t find Young in many prospect rankings, but Baseball America has him 21stin the system. He posted a 4.09 ERA in seven appearances with Double-A Bowie after his reinstatement from the injured list and has a 3.71 ERA in 13 games (11 starts) with Norfolk and has struck out 96 batters in a combined 75 1/3 innings.

Young, who turns 26 later this month, struck out 10 batters in five innings and allowed only one earned run on Aug. 1 in Charlotte. He is “on the radar screen” according to Elias. He barely fits at 6-foot-6.

The Orioles don’t have Young on the 40-man roster and he’s eligible for the Rule 5 draft. Interesting to know that he’s in play if they dip into the minors again for pitching.

This was in Roch’s early morning blog.

Edited by Roll Tide
  • Upvote 3

• Roll Tide changed the title to Pitching Depth Possible Call Ups Include Brandon Young Per Elias

I would think it would be Irvin. He can be the long man and protect the pen in blowout games. I could still see us offering Irvin arbitration then cutting bait with him in worst case situation at the end of ST and only having to pay him 20% of his arb figure. 

He’s depth to carry all offseason. Heck, we’ll likely do the same with Tate. Pitching depth is just so valuable with all the injuries. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• You always have to expect a certain number of injuries, but this is absurd. The O's are missing 3/4 of their best infield. Westburg, Mountcastle, Urias, Mateo > any combination of Holliday, O'Hearn, and whoever they throw in at 3rd. Both offensively and defensively. Pitching, you lose 60% (80%??) of your starting 5. Outfield and BP is also continually in flux. With the current group it's pretty remarkable that they play near .500 ball IMO. You have to hope that the infield situation has some improvement by the end of the month, but you can't count on it. Pitching?? Is GRod alone the savior. It has been painful to watch. AR taking every 1st pitch (he's no Boggs), Roy Firestone's first two AB's swings at the first pitch when the pitcher is struggling. O'Hearn a good 2 strike pitcher likewise swings at the first pitch with bases loaded on the same pitcher that is all over the place. I only hope the season ends with some dignity, a little hot streak, a good showing in the first round of the playoffs, and the Yankees not being the WS champions.  
    • Agreed. It was huge miscalculation of Elias to not trade Hays, Mountcastle etc in the off season when they actually had some value.    not even sure what value Mountcastle has at this point? A very flawed 1B hit tool, with slightly above average defense.
    • I proposed this before he got injured. I don't know, he has good stuff for the job but we also have a need for a starter in Game 3. With Seranthony I don't think the bullpen is a weakness right now 
    • Except they just won 19 games in August 
    • I think anything is on the table at this point.  We've got to limp into the playoffs, try to line Burnes up for Game 1 and then see what happens.  It will be interesting to see how they use Suarez, too.
    • We acquired him before Sep 1 so I'm pretty sure he was eligible.
    • It’s possible. It just depends on how he looks coming back from the injury. I said this yesterday but I worry about mechanical issues when he comes back and maybe shorter stints would be better if that’s the case. Of course, if he’s not having those issues, I don’t hesitate to put him in the pen but your evaluation time isn’t going to be much, so I can see the scenario where this makes sense.  
  • Popular Contributors