Watching Cedric

wildcard

11 minutes ago, wildcard said:

If Mullins finishes the season strong he is not just another player.   He has been a core player.   I am not saying he can't be moved but its a hard one for the players and the management.  Harder than moving Hays.

Two big factors other than if he finishes strong, One what they did to LF before the start of 2022, Two, Hays is gone.

4 minutes ago, The Goob said:

Holliday-Adley-Gunnar-Westburg-Cowser-Kjerstad

These six guys are locked in for full time duty for next year.  A decision need to be made at 1B/DH on how you want to handle Mountcastle/O'Hearn/Mayo/Jimenez but you have options there that should be workable.  The O'Hearn option for 2025 is $7.5 million which should be picked up based on his production the last two years.

So that is 8 of the 9 starting position pretty much locked in.  I just don't see many option for the last spot and certainly few that would be an upgrade over Mullins.  Mayo and maybe Jimenez help fix the heavy LH lean of the lineup.

They are not picking up Jimenez 16.5m option.  He goes FA.   I don't see them paying him to return.

29 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

If they are all in the org next year, these guys should all be getting significant playing time:

Adley, Gunnar, Mayo, Holliday, Kjerstad, Cowser, Westburg 

Thats your core 7 guys that should play a ton.(obviously Adley is different because of position but you get the point)

Soto is the likely UTI guy next year. It’s possible you still keep one of Urias or Mateo as well.

You need a back up C.

OHearn is likely back as a strong side platoon and good guy in the clubhouse too.

So that’s 10 guys with a possible 11th.

That leaves 2 players out of Santander, Mullins, Mounty or players outside the org.

Now, I personally think you trade Kjerstad in the offseason for pitching, so that opens up another spot. Obviously one of those spots is a back up OFer(Slater?). So you still have 2 spots, with at least one of them being for someone who gets significant time.  Could be one of the vets already here or someone outside.

I think it’s a near certainty mountcastle is dealt in the offseason. 

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Bet a lot of folks felt that way about Mateo and Urias last offseason.

Yup and they were right to. Difference is mounty expects to be an everyday player and no longer has that role.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, casadeozo said:

I think it’s a near certainty mountcastle is dealt in the offseason. 

We talk about needing right-handed hitters and then want to trade Mounty.   Mounty at 1B and Mayo at DH fits.    Maybe O'Hearn does not.   Not saying that for sure.  Just trying to think it through.

The question is who do they trade to get starting pitching?   

Edited by wildcard

I'd even count Mayo and one Ryan as just about 2025 opening day sure shots.

Adley, Mayo, Holliday, Gunnar, Westburg, Cowser, Mullins, Kjerstad and Ryan I'd figure all to start 9 out of the first 10 games next season.

One Ryan off the top of the deck is perhaps the biggest winter deal.    Would we trade him for Billy Cook?    I bet we'd love to trade him for a guy like Patrick Reilly!

Except for waiting for Basallo, it is all here.    I'm hopeful we'll see Mayo and Kjerstad both on the Labor Day roster as we get to the business end of this season.

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

We talk about needing right-handed hitters and then want to trade Mounty.   Mounty at 1B and Mayo at DH fits.    Maybe O'Hearn does not.   Not saying that for sure.  Just trying to think it through.

The question is who do they trade to get starting pitching?   

I’m not suggesting. Mayo at DH at all. I think more likely is Mayo at 1b and O’Hear.n at DH with a RH option added to platoon with. 

9 minutes ago, casadeozo said:

Yup and they were right to. Difference is mounty expects to be an everyday player and no longer has that role.

He's played in 111 of 122 games and is over 2 rWAR.  He's fifth on the team in games played, and fourth in at bats.  That's despite his minor knee issue back in April.

3 minutes ago, casadeozo said:

I’m not suggesting. Mayo at DH at all. I think more likely is Mayo at 1b and O’Hear.n at DH with a RH option added to platoon with. 

Agree - I think if plan is to put Mayo at DH, we’d be better optimizing his value by trading him.

14 minutes ago, casadeozo said:

Not sure why he should expect too much with a sub 750 OPS as a 1B/DH. 

22 minutes ago, The Goob said:

This is the part I just don't agree with.  Centerfielders who can provide average to above average defense and carry an OPS around 700 are not just laying around.

Specifically who are three guys that you think we can "find" who are capable to play everyday in CF or LF at Camden? 

This.

Here are the fWAR leaders, filtered for CF as primary position per fangraphs.  (Note is pretty generous with calling CF as primary, see Cowser, Vierling, Marsh, Bellinger inclusions).  Lots of guys sub 100 wRC+.

image.thumb.png.28d67a6ab99e6d28e0d2873026552b36.png

• Upvote 1

Cedric's role could also depend on Mayo/Westburg. If Westburg shifts to the "Zobrist" role with Mayo at 3B, he could play OF vs LHP with Cowser in CF. If Westburg stays on the dirt, we could see the Mayo RF experiment. Either could allow for Mullins in CF vs RHP.

Cedric vs RHP only in 2024 = .754 OPS for 110 OPS+

My preference would be to keep Cedric for 2025, find a RH platoon outfielder (Bader?).  Then in 2026 hopefully one (or more) of the internal prospects is ready to roll or worst case have Cowser as one year stopgap in CF (Cowser average at best defensively in CF whereas above average to elite in LF).

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Vs lefty pitching: C Adley (switch-hitter), 3B Westburg,  1B Mounty, DH Mayo, Mateo 2B/SS, LF Slater with Cowser in CF plus lefties SS Gunnar and  RF Kjerstad

Jackson Holliday won’t be a platoon guy. Hes an every day guy.