Roster moves 8-22-24 (3 up, 3 down)

eddie83

Watching the Cleveland broadcast today vs NYY.  The announcer commented that the current state of Baltimore’s deadline moves is Eflin on the IL, Rogers in AAA, Soto with a 15.43 ERA and Dominguez 3 for 6 in save opportunities.

1 hour ago, webbrick2010 said:

Riddle me this O'hangout

Last year we won the AL East and Norfolk won the AAA world series

This year every team in the system is under water, we have promoted some "studs" traded others

and now we need to fill the roster with

castoffs, and rejects from around baseball.

How could we have this allegedly #1 system and a first place team and end up in this situation

We have had injuries but as Frobby pointed out not so much in the bullpen.

It's beginning to feel like our window is closing even before it opened as we will need to replace at least 1/2 our pitching staff by next year,

and don't even suggest that Bautista is a sure thing to come back as the dominant guy he was for 5 months

Injuries

1 hour ago, webbrick2010 said:

Riddle me this O'hangout

Last year we won the AL East and Norfolk won the AAA world series

This year every team in the system is under water, we have promoted some "studs" traded others

and now we need to fill the roster with

castoffs, and rejects from around baseball.

How could we have this allegedly #1 system and a first place team and end up in this situation

We have had injuries but as Frobby pointed out not so much in the bullpen.

It's beginning to feel like our window is closing even before it opened as we will need to replace at least 1/2 our pitching staff by next year,

and don't even suggest that Bautista is a sure thing to come back as the dominant guy he was for 5 months

Hey, one if our DSL teams went 38-18 and is in the playoffs!  Only 5 years until we see those guys in the majors.  😎

Also, Aberdeen (A+) is not underwater, at 60-56.   

I’m very confident the O’s will have a top level offense for the next 5 years.   We have one now, and most of the core players are still learning and growing.  No big worries there.

The pitching?   Fuzzy to forecast, since health is so important.   It’s fair to ask if Bautista, Bradish and Wells will be the same guys when they come back.  And who else will get hurt?  Will any young pitchers step up to become consistent and reliable?   How much will the O’s spend to beef things up?  We’ll see.

13 minutes ago, Royle said:

Watching the Cleveland broadcast today vs NYY.  The announcer commented that the current state of Baltimore’s deadline moves is Eflin on the IL, Rogers in AAA, Soto with a 15.43 ERA and Dominguez 3 for 6 in save opportunities.

We picked up Slater to play mainly vs lefties, replacing Mullins who has an unfathomably bad .431 OPS vs LH.   Slater has a line of .391/.481/.609/.1.090 for us.

But of course someone, apparently like this Cleveland announcer, who is trying to push a narrative, is going to ignore any piece of data that doesn't fit their narrative and pretend it doesn't exist.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, SteveA said:

We picked up Slater to play mainly vs lefties, replacing Mullins who has an unfathomably bad .431 OPS vs LH.   Slater has a line of .391/.481/.609/.1.090 for us.

But of course someone, apparently like this Cleveland announcer, who is trying to push a narrative, is going to ignore any piece of data that doesn't fit their narrative and pretend it doesn't exist.

The cleveland guy wasn’t wrong. He was only incomplete, leaving out Slater and Jiminez. However, neither of them is a difference maker, and as someone has said, Jiminez takes a DH spot better used to rest regulars, and Hays was better than Slater.

The guy was focusing on the terrible pitching return. The Os needed excellent pitching, and it is obvious they didn’t get it.

22 minutes ago, SteveA said:

It seemed like a ‘misery loves company’ conversation since the Guardians are on a 6-12 run and, I think, have trailed at some point in all but one or two of those games.

3 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

Heaven forbid the new infielder to come up is Coby Mayo. Why not let the kid hit as a DH and se if he can give us a spark?

DH is not a position.  Where on the infield does the DH play.  The O's don't need any more players DHing.  They already have Adley, O'Hearn, Santander, and Eloy taking major amount of ABs at DH.  Where is there space for Mayo?  Mayo needs to learn to field a position.  It's likely for Mayo that position is 1B not 3B.  I believe in Mayo's bat but the O's don't need another DH right now.

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think they can promote Mayo. 

Has he even been down long enough?

He could come up Monday for the Dodger series, if they wanted to call him up. I think this team desperately needs a big bat or even a threat of a big bat in the lineup. He cant hurt you defensively  as a DH , why not give it a try?

1 minute ago, Roy Firestone said:

He could come up Monday for the Dodger series, if they wanted to call him up. I think this team desperately needs a big bat or even a threat of a big bat in the lineup. He cant hurt you defensively  as a DH , why not give it a try?

Because reactionary moves hardly ever pan out?

I won't cry if Eloy gets the boot and Mayo comes up.

4 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

DH is not a position.  Where on the infield does the DH play.  The O's don't need any more players DHing.  They already have Adley, O'Hearn, Santander, and Eloy taking major amount of ABs at DH.  Where is there space for Mayo?  Mayo needs to learn to field a position.  It's likely for Mayo that position is 1B not 3B.  I believe in Mayo's bat but the O's don't need another DH right now.

I think they can move Ohearn to 1b to replace the dreadful Mountcastle offensively..Mayo could DH on days when Adley isnt...let the kid get some AB's, he COULD give us a spark if he catches fire.

5 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

I think they can move Ohearn to 1b to replace the dreadful Mountcastle offensively..Mayo could DH on days when Adley isnt...let the kid get some AB's, he COULD give us a spark if he catches fire.

OH OF COURSE, you want Mountcastle and his "dreadful" 109 OPS+ gone.

I should have known.

You never said what he did to you Roy.

Of course Mountcastle could catch fire but you don't want to consider that.

We should totes just demote, or better yet, release Mountcastle.  That seems reasonable when he's been an above average player this year.

Edited by Can_of_corn
  • Upvote 1