Should the Orioles relieve Brandon Hyde of his duties?

Deadwood Fan

This team played very clean baseball for most of last year and even the first half of this year.   Same manager.   Same coaches.

1.  New inexperienced player at 2B.

2. Declining defensive player at 3B.

3.  A star player in his first full season at SS apparently worn down.

4.  Poor pitching for 2 1/2 months.  More hits.  Longer innings.  More plays that have to be made.  More hard hit balls make for tougher plays.  More consequences made plays aren’t made.

5.  Roster turnover and certain combinations of players not having the experience of playing with each other.

The easy, lazy explanation is to blame everything on the manager.

Edited by RZNJ
  • Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, interloper said:

I'm more interested in if Elias decides to keep Drew French, Matt Borgschulte, and Ryan Fuller.

I'm not at all saying they are at fault for anything that's happened this season, especially Drew French because of all the injuries. 

But kind of curious if any changes end up being made. 

The hitting coaches?   Good God!

22 hours ago, RZNJ said:

The hitting coaches?   Good God!

I tried to find out what coaching changes have been made recently, and all I could find was Grant Anders being promoted to “Major League Development,” whatever that means.

The coaches haven’t changed recently, so the problem lies somewhere else. 

But when a malaise affects an entire team, and EVERYONE plays sloppy over an extended period of time, after a long period of consistent brilliance, it’s fair to ask what’s happening.

An injured guy shouldn’t affect the play of the guy next to him who doesn’t go down with injury(Westburg being injured shouldn’t be the cause of Henderson’s wild throws, for instance) so injuries can only be blamed for diminished production from replacements.

So what IS the manager’s responsibility? If a massive team-wide decline in all aspects of the game isn’t his responsibility, what is?

Im not being snarky, but really wanting to know what can reasonably be laid on the manager’s desk and what is mere bad fortune? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HowAboutThat said:

I tried to find out what coaching changes have been made recently, and all I could find was Grant Anders being promoted to “Major League Development,” whatever that means.

The coaches haven’t changed recently, so the problem lies somewhere else. 

But when a malaise affects an entire team, and EVERYONE plays sloppy over an extended period of time, after a long period of consistent brilliance, it’s fair to ask what’s happening.

An injured guy shouldn’t affect the play of the guy next to him who doesn’t go down with injury(Westburg being injured shouldn’t be the cause of Henderson’s wild throws, for instance) so injuries can only be blamed for diminished production from replacements.

So what IS the manager’s responsibility? If a massive team-wide decline in all aspects of the game isn’t his responsibility, what is?

Im not being snarky, but really wanting to know what can reasonably be laid on the manager’s desk and what is mere bad fortune? 

What you’re telling me is when in doubt blame the manager.    I saw Holliday tag up from 2B last night but it seemed like he waited too long before he left the bag and got thrown out at 3B.   He’s a 20 yo kid who’s going to have to learn.   There is nothing Hyde could have done previous to that play from preventing it from happening.   The infielders and outfielders know the basic rules on how to handle pop ups that are tweeners.    The hitters know they shouldn’t swing at pitches out of the zone.

A manager and coaches prepare a team and the it’s up to the players.  Everything we’ve known for the last 2 1/2 years is that this team works hard, is well prepared, and there are very few, if any, issues in the clubhouse.   We’ve had injuries, quite a bit of turnover, and some players who don’t have a lot of experience overall or with each other.

Hyde has dealt with a rotation devastated by injuries.   A rookie (Povich) who doesn’t look ready, a veteran (Rogers) who was worse than expected, an ace (Burnes) who had a bad August, injuries to Eflin and GRod.    We have not even one reliever anyone is totally confident in in the 7-9 innings.   We have an inconsistent offense with some rookies and a budding superstar who’s slumping.

The question shouldn’t be what can we blame on Hyde.   The question is how has Hyde been able to keep this team playing about .500 baseball and not completely falling apart.

Edited by RZNJ
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

What you’re telling me is when in doubt blame the manager.    I saw Holliday tag up from 2B last night but it seemed like he waited too long before he left the bag and got thrown out at 3B.   He’s a 20 yo kid who’s going to have to learn.   There is nothing Hyde could have done previous to that play from preventing it from happening.   The infielders and outfielders know the basic rules on how to handle pop ups that are tweeners.    The hitters know they shouldn’t swing at pitches out of the zone.

A manager and coaches prepare a team and the it’s up to the players.  Everything we’ve known for the last 2 1/2 years is that this team works hard, is well prepared, and there are very few, if any, issues in the clubhouse.   We’ve had injuries, quite a bit of turnover, and some players who don’t have a lot of experience overall or with each other.

Hyde has dealt with a rotation devastated by injuries.   A rookie (Povich) who doesn’t look ready, a veteran (Rogers) who was worse than expected, an ace (Burnes) who had a bad August, injuries to Eflin and GRod.    We have not even one reliever anyone is totally confident in in the 7-9 innings.   We have an inconsistent offense with some rookies and a budding superstar who’s slumping.

The question shouldn’t be what can we blame on Hyde.   The question is how has Hyde been able to keep this team playing about .500 baseball and not completely falling apart.

I appreciate your reply, but it seems you missed my question: what IS the managers responsibility. You merely reiterated your previous comments that Hyde can’t play the games( we know) and Hyde can’t control injuries(we know that, too) 

You also missed my comment that the injury to Westburg, for instance, isn’t the reason Henderson is playing lousy defense and hasn’t hit in an over a month.

I asked a simple question and stressed that I wasn’t being contentious. What IS the manager’s responsibility, in your view? You merely insisted that injuries and on-field play are not. Ok…that’s fine. I don’t think I ever said otherwise. In your opinion, what is?

4 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

I appreciate your reply, but it seems you missed my question: what IS the managers responsibility. You merely reiterated your previous comments that Hyde can’t play the games( we know) and Hyde can’t control injuries(we know that, too) 

You also missed my comment that the injury to Westburg, for instance, isn’t the reason Henderson is playing lousy defense and hasn’t hit in an over a month.

I asked a simple question and stressed that I wasn’t being contentious. What IS the manager’s responsibility, in your view? You merely insisted that injuries and on-field play are not. Ok…that’s fine. I don’t think I ever said otherwise. In your opinion, what is?

I did answer it.

A manager and coaches prepare a team and the it’s up to the players.  Everything we’ve known for the last 2 1/2 years is that this team works hard, is well prepared, and there are very few, if any, issues in the clubhouse. 

Obviously, the manager keeps the lines of communication open with his players and coaches.  It’s his job to know how to best utilize the players he has.  Who’s dinged up.   Who needs more recovery time, etc.    His job to keep a clubhouse where the players feel they are being treated fairly.   Keeping tabs on who’s putting in the extra work and who needs to be told to take a day off.   

He’s not responsible for Gunnar Henderson making 7 errors in 7 days or Colton Cowser whiffing on 50% of changeups.    He can only react to it.   Do I decrease playing time, change their routine, etc.    As far as mental mistakes, the manager can either punish or hope the player doesn’t repeat the mistake.   Everyone, pretty much since Little League knows things like “always remember how many outs there are”.    Everyone knows  the infielder moves out of the way if he hears the outfielder coming in and calling for the ball.   In a loud stadium stuff still happens sometimes.

Keeping a steady ship in times of turmoil is the managers job.   He’s had to manage Kimbrel blowing up at certain times, really poor starts by Hays and Mullins, an atrocious May by Cowser, a horrible Orioles start by Gregory Soto and numerous other things.   And here we are with less than 30 games, assured of a playoff berth, within striking distance of the division, with a cohesive clubhouse, with almost everything that could go wrong, including our star pitcher and star player significantly underperforming lately.  I say, great job.

When the players start playing better and the pitchers start pitching better you can still second guess every move but you’ll notice how much better the manager and coaches got.   It’s amazing how that works.

Don’t worry. We can’t question anything he does. He pitched his long man (and arguably best reliever) 22 pitches and Cano 8 pitches, among other decisions, to let Kimbrel pitch the 8th. But he cannot be questioned whatsoever. And again, I am much more annoyed at the offense than I am at Hyde, but that was bullpen management was idiotic. 

• Confused 1

36 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

Don’t worry. We can’t question anything he does. He pitched his long man (and arguably best reliever) 22 pitches and Cano 8 pitches, among other decisions, to let Kimbrel pitch the 8th. But he cannot be questioned whatsoever. And again, I am much more annoyed at the offense than I am at Hyde, but that was bullpen management was idiotic. 

This...and why continue to bat Adley second in the lineup? The way he is playing which even Hyde believes is not good enough to have in the starting lineup more regularly, is somehow good enough to bat second and get more AB's? Makes no sense. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, LGOrioles said:

Your post makes it sound like the majority of posters don’t question Hyde and anyone who does, gets attacked by that majority.

I don’t get that feeling at all.