Arizona Fall League

Jim'sKid26

As the minor league seasons begin to wind down, I am curious which prospects would/should go to the AFL which runs October 7-November 16, 2024.

" ...as of 2021 all players within an MLB organization are eligible. Free agents are not eligible. The seven players each MLB organization provides consist of four pitchers and three position players. Positional needs for each AFL team (e.g. catchers) are coordinated between player development directors of the affiliated MLB organizations via a "position draft." An MLB organization can assign more than three position players; such players serve as a taxi squad for the AFL team and are limited to playing two games each week."

My votes:

Pitchers- Forret, Fruit, Hammer, Van Loon

Position Players - Honeycutt, Willems, Bradfield

https://www.mlb.com/arizona-fall-league/about/full-season-schedule

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arizona_Fall_League

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

They rarely send “name” players.

With pitchers it’s usually guys who missed part of the season and the team wants to build up their innings.   Same with injured hitters where the team wants them to get some more at bats.  But they do sometimes send hitters or bullpen guys who played a full year.  I could see a guy like Beavers being sent there.  

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Yeah. That’s what has sort of taken the fun out of the AFL. 

You could even argue that the winter league would be better for a guy like Basallo. He was drafted in that last year, but ended up not playing. 

Josenberger would make sense for us to send. Especially if wanted him to concentrate with extra reps at CF or 2B.

Reed Trimble?

How fun would sending Keeler Morfe be?

Last year we sent Billy Cook and he had a pretty big year this year. We thought he was a non prospect. 

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Yeah. That’s what has sort of taken the fun out of the AFL. 

You could even argue that the winter league would be better for a guy like Basallo. He was drafted in that last year, but ended up not playing. 

Josenberger would make sense for us to send. Especially if wanted him to concentrate with extra reps at CF or 2B.

Reed Trimble?

How fun would sending Keeler Morfe be?

Last year we sent Billy Cook and he had a pretty big year this year. We thought he was a non prospect. 

Has that changed?

36 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Handley, Fabian, Beavers, and Trimble are options.

Who missed time as an P in AA or AAA?  They could be on the short list.

Pitchers is always guys barely in the radar or sometimes a total unknown.  Would be cool if they send Vance to Florida to make changes to his swing and then Arizoma League for immediate feedback.

They typically will send pitchers who missed time this year dur to injury and need some additional innings or non prospects to fill out the team. 

Offensively, depending on the positions they get to fill, usually it's guys that they feel need a challenge against better pitching to help them focus on things in the offseason.

Since the eligibility has changed since 2021 (Now all players within the organization are eligible not just one player under Double-A, they could decide to send a Honeycutt to get additional reps if they think reps are the issue or they may choose to give him a plan to work on.

My thoughts on guys they may consider sending:

Reed Trimble -OF (if healthy as he's out right now with maybe a hamstring tweak again?)
Tavian Josenberger - 2B/CF (if healthy but he's on the 6-day IL so whatever happened to him he's probably out for awhile)
Carter Young - SS (They spent a lot of monet on him and he's never hit. Off to a good start in AA after his good game last night so maybe he goes to try and keep that going)
Jud Fabian - CF (Fabian has had a long season and stayed healthy, but he's a guy they may want to give more reps too)
Creed Willems - C (Again, long season for him but might use this as a bit of an award for his solid season. Plus he's another big bonus guy like Young.)
Maverick Handley - C (He's a guy who still has the defensive chops to be a backup)
Silas Ardoin - C (See Handley.. lol)

• Upvote 1

On 9/4/2024 at 3:32 PM, Sports Guy said:

The year I went they sent Kjerstad. Not sure if anyone might fit that profile of someone who had an injury setback. Would McDermott or Wagner be expected back? I've lost track.