9/6/24 vs. Tampa Rays

Surhoffan17

Witt had -18 DRS -12 OAA year 1, -6 DRS +14 OAA year 2, this year both DRS and OAA like him.

Gunnar has 23 errors this year, but he only had 14 last year.  So idk.  He's in a fielding slump for sure.  In 2023 he had +13 DRS +1 OAA.  This year he's at +4 DRS 0 OAA.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Interesting but It doesn't make me feel any better. It's like saying hospitalization was because of a fluke accident rather than a serious illness. Still need intensive care.
    • Honestly, data shmata.... The good old fashion eye test --- their lack of timely hitting and what looks to me to be a team that's pressing and expecting to lose is all you need to know.
    • Of course. You don’t need data to know this although the data just supports the obvious. This has been an issue a lot this year, whether it be for individual players or the team. When you are struggling this bad, bad luck is always involved.  Just as when you are tearing things up, good luck is always involved.
    • Needless to say, our offense hasn’t scored a lot of runs lately.   But how much is bad hitting, and how much is bad luck?  A friend of mine sent me this: “I compiled the high xBA at bats that turned into outs and low xBA at bats that turned into hits for the Orioles and their competition for the 3 Boston games and 3 Detroit games. “The results: High xBA outs (defined as xBA above .300) Orioles / Opponent 9/15: 6 / 2 9/14: 9 / 3 9/13: 2 / 6 9/11: 7 / 3 9/10: 2 / 2 9/9: 4 / 2 Total: 30 / 18 Low xBA hits (defined as xBA below .250) Orioles / Opponent 9/15: 0 / 0 9/14: 0 / 0 9/13: 0 / 1 9/11: 3 / 1 9/10: 1 / 2 9/9: 0 / 6 Total: 4 / 10” To add to the above, in those six games, Orioles’ batters struck out 50 times, while their opponents struck out 61 times.   So, the Orioles made a lot more contact than their opponents, but a lot of their well-hit balls turned into outs, while their opponents were rather fortunate with poorly hit balls turning into hits.    Obviously, this data isn’t the whole story, and it’s only covering the last road trip, not the last 5 weeks or so that the offense has been struggling.   But it does suggest that bad luck has played a role in our hitting woes over the last week.   
    • Hyde was saying before the deadline, right after the Marlins series, that the hitting had been struggling, and asked the press if they thought the answer was to get younger?  At the time Holliday and Mayo weren’t up. I believe Norby was the temp injury fill in for Mateo.  Being forced to play Holliday/Mayo in ride or die situations this year has really killed us.  A couple of things… 1.  It’s tough to break in a lot of rookies/2nd year players all at once.  2. Hindsight 20/20, the rash of pitching injuries forced Elias to buy a 2nd SP and we should’ve kept Norby as insurance. Hindsight 20/20, Holliday was the #1 overall prospect and in AAA. Mayo was having the best AAA season offensively anyone could’ve dreamed of.  Overall, offensively we’re just a year or two away.  Long story short… our young hitters need experience that only time will bring. 
    • Kjerstad hasn't played in 60 days and is still the teams best hitter since July 12th.till the teams best hitter since July 12th.
    • Does anyone really want to see a Royals - Orioles rematch in the Playoffs...  Boy, I still have PTSD from a decade ago. smh
  • Popular Contributors