Clubhouse issues?

Sports Guy

7 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

Good grief. How can you misunderstand so completely. I don’t mean that I dislike him personally, that’s silly. I have absolutely nothing against him as a person.

I don’t like his managing. His managing is bad, and a different manager would have more wins, even despite the injury and personnel problems we have.

But I don’t dislike him, sheesh. I realize that in this internet world, that’s pretty easy to do, but it remains silly.

Well considering your thoughts on basically anything are completely misguided, it’s easy to “misunderstand”  you.

Edited by Sports Guy

I'm not a fan of the way Hyde handles the bullpen and his (or are they the FO's) lineups often drive me nuts. Having said that, he's done a really good job overall as the O's skipper.

If somebody told you at the beginning of the year we'd lose half of our top pitchers to injury and our hitters would be one of the worst teams with RISP would you think we'd only be two games out of 1st place in mid-September?

1 hour ago, gtman55 said:

So many people are reading so much into the Kremer interview. Like I said yesterday, it was a ridiculous question that Kremer was asked. He's not the GM. He's not a coach. He can't speak for other players. He has one job. Try to pitch to the best of his ability, which he did brilliantly that night.

How that one response to a reporter's dumb question became a "clubhouse issues?" thread is beyond me.

I think the other thing is that you have to know a little bit about Dean’s personality in these press scrums. 

I think he’s a very bright guy. And I think he has a tendency to come off like…someone who knows he’s a very bright guy. He can get a little dismissive and sarcastic if they ask questions he thinks are dumb. A little bit of the hipster style “well, ACTUALLY…” He does it to some degree earlier in this same interview, when they asked if he was frustrated about the two out walks and his response was basically “I actually don’t like any walks in general.”

I think that’s what happened here. I think he perceived it as a dumb question, and I think his response is mostly just him politely explaining why it was a dumb question to ask him.

Edited by e16bball
  • Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, gtman55 said:

I'm not a fan of the way Hyde handles the bullpen and his (or are they the FO's) lineups often drive me nuts. Having said that, he's done a really good job overall as the O's skipper.

If somebody told you at the beginning of the year we'd lose half of our top pitchers to injury and our hitters would be one of the worst teams with RISP would you think we'd only be two games out of 1st place in mid-September?

That's how everyone should be looking at it.

Yet, inexplicably, there are people here who think we should have more wins because...Hyde.

3 hours ago, Moshagge3 said:

I think the Kremer interview is a whole lot of nothing. Having a great game and not getting run support is part of being a pitcher. Walter Johnson lost 26 games by a score of 1-0. Pitchers spend their time thinking about pitching, not how to improve the offense. Dean was asked a dumb question and he gave an honest answer, which is that it's not his job or his place to comment about aspects of the team he has nothing to do with.

Damn, poor Walter.

3 hours ago, e16bball said:

I think the other thing is that you have to know a little bit about Dean’s personality in these press scrums. 

I think he’s a very bright guy. And I think he has a tendency to come off like…someone who knows he’s a very bright guy. He can get a little dismissive and sarcastic if they ask questions he thinks are dumb. A little bit of the hipster style “well, ACTUALLY…” He does it to some degree earlier in this same interview, when they asked if he was frustrated about the two out walks and his response was basically “I actually don’t like any walks in general.”

I think that’s what happened here. I think he perceived it as a dumb question, and I think his response is mostly just him politely explaining why it was a dumb question to ask him.

He's a more affable Erik Bedard in that regard. I agree.

• Upvote 1

It was a nice run the last couple of years but we got spoiled and expecting more out of journeyman or just average guys (Ohearn, Mullins, Mountcastle). Even Santander has played over his real level this year. Now it’s coming back to earth and then our young “stars” have done next to nothing and they really should be the ones carrying the team. Combine that with the guys crashing back to what they were we get this. 

20 minutes ago, RavensNOsGuy said:

It was a nice run the last couple of years but we got spoiled and expecting more out of journeyman or just average guys (Ohearn, Mullins, Mountcastle). Even Santander has played over his real level this year. Now it’s coming back to earth and then our young “stars” have done next to nothing and they really should be the ones carrying the team. Combine that with the guys crashing back to what they were we get this. 

Mullins, Mounty and Santander as journeyman? Wow, take a step off.

25 minutes ago, RavensNOsGuy said:

Crashing back to earth? Guys like Buatista, Bradish, Means, Wells, Webb, Danny boy. GRod, not to mention guys like Westy, Mounty, Urias, Mateo. Talk about packing it in. and it's still a playoff team