Managerial Candidates

Deadwood Fan

11 hours ago, ChuckS said:

There will not be any major coaching changes. This is going to be a 90-win playoff team that lost four of its top six SP. 

Maybe the hitting coach goes if they finish the season singing the same note they are right now.  But Hyde isn’t going anywhere and probably not the rest of his staff. 

You think they are winning 90 I don't.  I predicted 88 at  the beginning the year and that is what it's looking like. 

7 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Supplementing the retirement checks. I have no interest a 70 year old MLB manager and I doubt Elias does either.

AJ Pierzynski is a hot name around the league and ex catchers usually do pretty well as managers.

I heard good things about AJ but does he even have any managerial experience? Last I heard he was doing podcasts 

I don’t think Hyde will be fired or should be fired.  If we go 0-5 vs Tigers and 3-6 vs Giants/Yankees/Twins to miss playoffs, then that probably changes.  

That being said, I’ll engage the OP on the basis of the hypothetical.

I don’t think a managerial search would focus on a “name” or someone that would “excite” the fans.  That doesn’t fit the trend in the game where quality orgs hire relative unknowns like Kevin Cash, Carlos Mendoza, Stephen Vogt, and Matt Quartraro.

Instead, it would be an in-depth and structured search. It would start with a very broad list. Based on conversations around the league, it would be whittled to a list of finalists for in-depth interviews.

Candidates would be evaluated across a range of criteria:

- Background: managing/coaching experience, pedigree (e.g., worked under good manager), FO experience, playing experience, and age

- Leadership and clubhouse management: Ability to win trust and respect of players, ability to motivate, can connect with players on personal level, ability to manage clubhouse personalities, ability to reduce vet playing time or send rookies back to AAA while keeping players motivated and bought into to team concept, feel for when a smart short term tactic may have detrimental clubhouse impacts that may outweigh benefit, feel for when disciplinary actions are helpful, feel for having players backs with umps, defend in public and criticize in private, good at giving feedback, character/reputation, Spanish language skills are a plus

- Communications and media relations: Clear, confident, and savvy communicator with media; ability to clearly communicate concepts and philosophies throughout org

- Managerial competencies: ability to build and lead a coaching staff, willingness to delegate, work ethic and depth of prep, ability to coordinate with minor league staff, advance scouting/analytics, others in org, evidence-based and open to new ideas, takes feedback well

- Depth of knowledge of baseball fundamentals

- Player development chops (dev doesn’t end in minors anymore)

- Fluency in analytics: understanding of concepts, ability to communicate and filter info to players, depth of understanding and feel for game to understand when to “overrule” analytics, growth mindset and constant learning

- Ability and willingness to work closely with FO

- Tactics: bullpen management, lineup construction and load management, pinch-hitting and defensive replacements, small ball tactics (base stealing, bunts, hit and runs), defensive positioning, knowledge of rule book

Gaps in tactical experience can be offset with the right bench coach.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Warehouse said:

I don’t think Hyde will be fired or should be fired.  If we go 0-5 vs Tigers and 3-6 vs Giants/Yankees/Twins to miss playoffs, then that probably changes.  

I don’t think a managerial search would focus on a “name” or someone that would “excite” the fans.  That doesn’t fit the trend in the game where quality orgs hire relative unknowns like Kevin Cash, Carlos Mendoza, Stephen Vogt, and Matt Quartraro.

Instead, it would be an in-depth and structured search. It would start with a very broad list. Based on conversations around the league, it would be whittled to a list of finalists for in-depth interviews.

- Background: managing/coaching experience, pedigree (e.g., worked under good manager), FO experience, playing experience, and age

- Leadership and clubhouse management: Ability to win trust and respect of players, ability to motivate, can connect with players on personal level, ability to manage clubhouse personalities, ability to reduce vet playing time or send rookies back to AAA while keeping players motivated and bought into to team concept, feel for when a smart short term tactic may have detrimental clubhouse impacts that may outweigh benefit, feel for when disciplinary actions are helpful, feel for having players backs with umps, defend in public and criticize in private, good at giving feedback, character/reputation, Spanish language skills are a plus

- Communications and media relations: Clear, confident, and savvy communicator with media; ability to clearly communicate concepts and philosophies throughout org

- Managerial competencies: ability to build and lead a coaching staff, willingness to delegate, work ethic and depth of prep, ability to coordinate with minor league staff, advance scouting/analytics, others in org, evidence-based and open to new ideas, takes feedback well

- Fluency in analytics: understanding of concepts, ability to communicate and filter info to players, depth of understanding and feel for game to understand when to “overrule” analytics, growth mindset and constant learning

- Tactics: bullpen management, lineup construction and load management, pinch-hitting and defensive replacements, small ball tactics (base stealing, bunts, hit and runs), defensive positioning, knowledge of rule book

It’s impossible to say who the best candidates would be without going through the full process. It’s not like speculating on who our center fielder should be where we can more directly observe skills and job performance.

The long list would likely include the following:

Terry Francona, former Guardians manager

Buck Britton, Norfolk Tides manager

Skip Schumaker, Marlins manager

Gabe Kapler, Marlins assistant GM

Rodney Linares, Rays bench coach

Ryan Flaherty, Cubs bench coach

George Lombard, Tigers bench coach

DeMarlo Hale, Blue Jays associate manager

Brad Ausmus, Yankees bench coach

Mark DeRosa, MLB Network analyst and former WBC manager

Rickie Weeks Jr., Brewers associate manager 

Caleb Cotham, Phillies pitching coach

Will Venable, Rangers associate manager

Bobby Dickerson, Phillies infield coach

Matt Tuiasosopo, Braves third base coach

Clayton McCullough, Dodgers first base coach

David Ross, former Cubs manager

Don Kelly, Pirates bench coach

Mark Hallberg, Giants third base coach

Craig Albernaz, Guardians bench coach

Kai Correa, Guardians infield coordinator

Mark Budzinski, Blue Jays first baseman coach

Fredi González, Orioles bench coach

Ramón Vázquez, Red Sox bench coach

Mike Napoli, Red Sox first base coach

1 hour ago, Baseball fandom said:

You think they are winning 90 I don't.  I predicted 88 at  the beginning the year and that is what it's looking like. 

Roughly.  They could win 92.  They could win 88.  The exact number wasn't my point.

They won't fire Hyde because the team won 88 games instead of 90.  

Another ridiculous thread because Hyde isn’t getting fired. I mean if the literally lose out, maybe I guess. 

If Hyde does go, for any reason, they will announce Britton as the new manager the next day. He’s going to get a job somewhere in the next couple years, it might as well be in Baltimore. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, ChuckS said:

There will not be any major coaching changes. This is going to be a 90-win playoff team that lost four of its top six SP. 

Maybe the hitting coach goes if they finish the season singing the same note they are right now.  But Hyde isn’t going anywhere and probably not the rest of his staff. 

"The" hitting coach?  Don't they have 3 hitting coaches?  Maybe they could draw straws and guy w/ the short straw is fired.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warehouse said:

It sounds like the new manager can only be one person----Kevin Brown.  Looking forward to the Star Wars references in the post game interview.

17 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Can they hit?

Ichiro might be a good hire. He can DH too as a player manager. Gotta be better than what we got now. 

I know you're joking but I wonder, has there been a player who has retired, waited the 5 years before getting elected to the HOF, then decided to play again? I doubt it but I never really thought about it before.