Will the Orioles make the playoffs?

LookitsPuck

Will the Orioles make the playoffs?  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Orioles make the playoffs?

• Yes
    • No

28 minutes ago, DenPA2002 said:

I guess I did to some degree but didn't realize it for that AB.

To be fair, I have no clue if they actually did for that AB.  I did see some of the beat reporters report yesterday that a lot of the players had changed their walk-up songs yesterday before the game to try and break out of the general offensive slump.  Needless to say it didn't work. 

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

Their terrible pitcher threw 5 shutout innings his last time out.  He’s fairly tough to hit, but walks a lot of guys.   Patience and pitch count tonight, boys.  

And the two starts before that he went 6 and 2/3 and 7 ER. Not buying this guy is good. If we cant score tonight, we very much in trouble.

If they had won tonight I would have felt better about their chances of getting a couple more; but with Webb pitching tomorrow (not what we need an ace to shut us down), and then Detroit coming in - I just don't see how we win three more.  And there's no guarantee three would even get it done.  If this is what 99% chance of making the playoffs feels like, I don't know what to say.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

If they had won tonight I would have felt better about their chances of getting a couple more; but with Webb pitching tomorrow (not what we need an ace to shut us down), and then Detroit coming in - I just don't see how we win three more.  And there's no guarantee three would even get it done.  If this is what 99% chance of making the playoffs feels like, I don't know what to say.

Webb has been awful his 4 last starts putting up a 6.86 ERA.  Of course it is the Orioles, so that probably doesn't mean anything.

18 minutes ago, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

I didn’t even consider this a possibility until tonight. But if we go 2-8 and the tigers go 8-2, it’s done. I still hope we have 3 more wins in us. But it’s been so bad lately, who can blame the doom and gloom? 

The Twins would also have to go 8-2 and they have been worse than us in September.  

6 hours ago, waroriole said:

That’s dumb. Embarrassed in front of whom? If you’re an O’s fan, you’ve endured plenty of embarrassment. Losing a playoff series wouldn’t even make a mark. If you’re rooting for the O’s to not make the playoffs, head on over to Yankees Hangout. 

I wouldn’t be embarrassed but they should. There is no point in a team playing this bad to be in the playoffs. I would rather have a higher draft pick. If by some miracle they got hot in the next week great. I feel bad for the young fans who have never seen the Os in a WS.

33 minutes ago, D&B said:

I wouldn’t be embarrassed but they should. There is no point in a team playing this bad to be in the playoffs. I would rather have a higher draft pick. If by some miracle they got hot in the next week great. I feel bad for the young fans who have never seen the Os in a WS.

Many of us aren’t all that young anymore…

• Upvote 1

Well I see many on here trying to find a way to get the Orioles to go 2 or 3 wins to get in. Well damn if they can't win at least 2 or 3  wins then the hell with them I honestly don't even want them to make it if they blow this big lead they once had in the WC chase and that's the truth. 

7 hours ago, terpoh said:

People born in 1984 are 40 now and have never seen the O’s get past the ALCS

The 1984-2024 O's could tie the 1903-1943 St Louis Browns for one of the top 10 all time World Series appearance droughts.  Think about it that way.  It's been a long time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Major_League_Baseball_franchise_postseason_droughts

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• No we do not. But I refuse to believe it will be anything like JA had on him. 
    • I think we're actually making the same point here.  The players we thought would be in the lineup, for the most part, ARE in the lineup.  Westburg is the only exception.  the problem isn't Westburg is missing - its that the rest of these guys suck.  Like, all of them.  At least right now.
    • Yeah, there were some not so good signs even early on, although I have to think they weren't unique to just the Orioles.  We were extremely fortunate to win 2 of 3 in April against KC, as we needed two walk-offs.  Milwaukee came in and just destroyed our pitching (think they averaged 14 hits a game). Oakland took the series with Kimbrel giving up 2 ninth inning homers.  Our regular season sweep less streak came to an end with a lifeless series in St. Louis.  Again, I think all teams go through lackluster series like that.  But that was all within the 49-25 start so it was kind of forgotten. I remember Oakland hung 19 on us in early July.  The Cubs outscored us 21-2 in our own stadium and Volpe and Verdugo were the only reason we didn't go into the break 0-6. We struggled to score in Miami and nearly got swept. The Padres pushed us around quite a bit at home.  And as I noted elsewhere, we have only come back to win two times since Memorial Day weekend when trailing after 6 innings. Even with a healthy offense, we have been pretty much cooked if we weren't tied or ahead after 6.
    • It's not the fact that Westburg is out of the lineup...it's who he's been replaced with.  If you replaced Westburg with a player of half his production, you'd still have more than what Holliday has given you.  And what Mayo has given you. You just listed them off: Cowser - can be a good hitter but is a K machine.  He's got a .678 OPS in September.   Mayo - automatic out. Holliday - automatic out.   Yeah, we wanted to replace guys with Holliday and Mayo because they were top prospects.  No one had any clue that these guys would have been as bad as they've been. Also, in today's lineup, you're overlooking how bad Tony and O'Hearn have been recently, too.  O'Hearn's OPS for September is .471.  .471!!! So when I look at today's lineup, I look at who the automatic outs are.  I look at the guys who are just flat out not giving any signs of life at all.   1.  O'Hearn.  Pains me to say it cause I like him, but he should be waking up every morning thankful for the existence of Holliday and everyone obsessing over how bad he's been.  O'Hearn is easily worth 3-4 outs a game. 2.  Holliday.  I still have hopes for the kid but good lord, his OPS this month is .370.  Holliday is easily worth 3-4 outs a game. 3.  Santander.  Last 28 days, his OPS is .739.  Over the last 14 days it's .586.  Over the last 7 days it's .250.  That's nto the trend you want to see from that guy.  I feel like I'm being generous but I think he's worth 2-3 outs a game right now. 4.  Cowser.  Probably the most appetizing of these 4, his OPS for September is .678 plus he brings a good glove to the field and that can't really be overlooked.  I think he's worth 2-3 outs a game, easily. So there you have it.  Conservatively, that's 10 outs in the game....just flat out zeros in the lineup.  You can make a case that these guys will produce 14 outs in the game today and I don't think anyone would say that's out of line.    
    • Yeah it looks like it goes to the entire league not just opposite division.  We will hold the tie breaker over either the Twins or Tigers with 2 wins though if we take two out of three vs the Tigers that will make us 3-3 vs them or a win vs the Twins or the Yankees.  
    • Yes I know.  I think had we not made any trades, we'd be under 84 wins right now.  Eflin has been huge.  Slater has had some big games.  Dominguez has contributed too.  
    • Maybe last year we were really two years away and we really just overachieved because of team chemistry and Bautista.  I don't see how taking Santa out of this lineup can be a good thing.  What are we going to do with 1B/DH next year.  Mounty and O'Hearn really can't be counted on for a team trying to win.  
  • Popular Contributors