Roch Article-Wieters

Ripken23

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let's hope Weiters can be more than Jason Varitek. Varitek is a nice enough player, but he didn't reach the bigs until he was 26 and was only really good from '03-'05. Other than that he's been a good catcher but nothing special at all. Certainly not the franchise player Weiters is purported to be.

Why didn't he reach the big leagues until he was 26?

He was represented by Scott Boras and didn't get a bonus that he liked when drafted by the Twins. Went back for his senior year of college and was drafted by the Mariners. With even less leverage it took almost a full year for him to sign and he never got the bonus he was looking for. Almost two years of development time lost. By delaying how quickly he could reach free agency he likely cost himself a ton of money. Certainly many times more than the amount of money he was holding out for.

Varitek's example is why if the Orioles put a fair offer on the table and stick to their guns, Wieters will sign. There is absolutely no reason for them to keep raising their offer as when push comes to shove, Boras knows he should take the offer.

Never could have signed him to that type of deal.

The year before he hit free agency, the offseason before he became our closer, we could have had him for $15 mill over three years. Instead the O's wanted to make sure he could close first. See ya BJ!

As for whoever said its not Wednesday yet...I'm no Sherlock Holmes, but if past history is any indication, Weiters is not gonna sign!

Why didn't he reach the big leagues until he was 26?

He was represented by Scott Boras and didn't get a bonus that he liked when drafted by the Twins. Went back for his senior year of college and was drafted by the Mariners. With even less leverage it took almost a full year for him to sign and he never got the bonus he was looking for. Almost two years of development time lost. By delaying how quickly he could reach free agency he likely cost himself a ton of money. Certainly many times more than the amount of money he was holding out for.

Varitek's example is why if the Orioles put a fair offer on the table and stick to their guns, Wieters will sign. There is absolutely no reason for them to keep raising their offer as when push comes to shove, Boras knows he should take the offer.

Or it's an example of playing extreme hardball with a Boras client and losing badly. I'd bet the Mariners and Twins fans and players aren't all that happy they were pawns in Bud's quest to keep signing bonuses down.

Or it's an example of playing extreme hardball with a Boras client and losing badly. I'd bet the Mariners and Twins fans and players aren't all that happy they were pawns in Bud's quest to keep signing bonuses down.

Pssh...are you kidding? I'm sure they take great solace in the fact that they held their ground against the Great Satan and eventually gave the Red Sox their best catcher in team history. Don't all fans care more about what Bud Selig wants than what's best for their team?

I don't believe the pheonomenom of MLB controlling signing bonuses by exerting pressure was in place back then. It was stupidity on Boras' part, he's grown and learned from his mistakes hence being willing to compromise like he did w/Drew, Weaver, etc...

The year before he hit free agency, the offseason before he became our closer, we could have had him for $15 mill over three years. Instead the O's wanted to make sure he could close first. See ya BJ!
Not even remotely true. The O's would have gladly given him that deal, but BJ wanted to prove he could close and try to cash in with a huge deal. I was told this (not exact numbers) by Mike Flanagan, so I trust the source.

(Talking about Varitek) By delaying how quickly he could reach free agency he likely cost himself a ton of money. Certainly many times more than the amount of money he was holding out for.

By missing those two year's, he also probably cost himself one extra big free agent payday. Instead of having three shots at a big free agent deal, he had only two. He's working on the last big contract he'll get, where he may have been entering a walk year this year.

Correct. Look at Etchebarren's offensive numbers those two years (66-67). He was 17th in the MVP voting in 1966 despite a .221-11-50 line in 120 games. Kooky.

Anybody know the last all star catcher?

I'm guessing Charles Johnson but it wasn't with the Orioles even though he had that incredible season in 2000.

Not even remotely true. The O's would have gladly given him that deal, but BJ wanted to prove he could close and try to cash in with a huge deal. I was told this (not exact numbers) by Mike Flanagan, so I trust the source.

Then where did the whole 3/$15 horse maneur come from? I certainly wasn't the one who came up with this. It has been commonly discussed on here for a few years. :confused:

Correct. Look at Etchebarren's offensive numbers those two years (66-67). He was 17th in the MVP voting in 1966 despite a .221-11-50 line in 120 games. Kooky.

Anybody know the last all star catcher?

The great Terry Kennedy in a season where he had a .299 OBP. Although to be fair he did have a pretty nice offensive season going on at the break.

Pure speculation on what posters thought would be a far amount to offer?

Really? I thought for sure the OH was ALL OVER the FO for not giving him that deal and waiting to see if he could close. Doesn't anybody remember this, or am I losing my mind???????? :confused:

Archived