Roch Article-Wieters

Ripken23

Jason Varitek is just a comparison. The way he's being hyped, he'll probably have a far better career than Varitek. He was also rated as the top position player in the entire draft this year; the only reason he slid to us was due to signability concerns.

Jason Varitek is probably one of the 40 or 50 best catchers in baseball history. Weiters could be better, but I probably won't be disappointed if he's not. The Orioles have never had a catcher as good as Varitek for longer than a few seasons.

It's possible, although by no means a sure thing, that Weiters could be the best catcher in Orioles history by about 2012 or 2013. His competition is Dempsey (not much of a hitter), Hoiles (not much of a fielder, and that's an understatement), Triandos (slower than molassas in winter and didn't play very long), and a buch of guys who weren't even that good and/or only played a few years.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He!! yeah. I'm just trying to explain where the Tek comparison comes from. Mainly that they are swirch hitter s from the same college. Wieters is supposed to be a great hitter though...maybe the best in the whole draft.

Some were hoping that Wieters would be signed early and would be in the majors by 9/1 like Zimmerman was for the Nats.

I have to believe that the O's (not to mention people on this board) would absolutely love to have a catcher like Jason Varitek in the system, and would throw a lot of money at that prospect who projects a year away from reaching the majors. Anyone disagree?

I have to believe that the O's (not to mention people on this board) would absolutely love to have a catcher like Jason Varitek in the system, and would throw a lot of money at that prospect who projects a year away from reaching the majors. Anyone disagree?

Somewhere in the back of the Warehouse, Andy MacFail is raising his hand! :(

If he does not get this deal done, then he gets an F grade for the year, regardless of what else he does from here on out!

I think that if you're drafting a guy 5th overall....and supposedly the guy is the best offensive player in the draft, he's probably expected to be a little better with the bat than JV.

Tek is very good.....I just think he's being compared to a Mauer-type hitter.

I'm not real familiar with how the agent-player negotiations work, if Weiters really wants to be an Oriole and not have to wait another year, can't he pressure Boras into getting a deal done?

Boras is not his "hired" agent. He is acting as an advisor so if something doesn't work out, he would still be eligible to go back to Ga. Tech. But in either capacity, he can ask Boras what the best offer is on the table and instruct Boras to ok it if he wants. Things like that rarely happen but the agent works for the player. Boras is just going to point out how he's been so successful at getting players big deals and Wieters should just trust him.

I would be shocked if we did not sign Wieters.

Drafting him would have required, IMO, approval from PA. I know I saw quotes that Pittsburgh did not draft him after consulting with their ownership.

If AM comes in here and "undoes" PA's commitment to signing Wieters, that would really be quite unbelievable, IMO. And, IMO, that would not bode well for Joe Jordan wanting to hang around either.

Disclaimer: Just responding to the posts above, I still believe there is a 99.9% chance we sign Wieters. I could see where AM undoes the Arrieta commitment though, which would be almost equally upsetting, IMO.

I think that if you're drafting a guy 5th overall....and supposedly the guy is the best offensive player in the draft, he's probably expected to be a little better with the bat than JV.

Tek is very good.....I just think he's being compared to a Mauer-type hitter.

There is more to it than hitting. Varitek is an excellent fielder, a decent switch hitter, and a leader in the clubhouse. Anyone who says they wouldn't want a player who might turn into that is deluding themselves.

By the way, anyone poo-poohing Tek as a comp not worthy of getting excited about...read Drungo's last post in this thread. Varitek was a very good player for a good long time, and I'll be quite content if Wieters duplicates his career.

Guy never hit .300 or more than 25 HR. Position scarcity be damned, that's not a player you throw the vault at.

I sure would like to know where Roch got his info. He knew he was going to set us all off with that article. I just can't believe McPhail would lose this opportunity to keep things moving in the right direction. Simply because the commish wants to keep down bonuses? That doesn't sound like a good enough reason to me.

Guy never hit .300 or more than 25 HR. Position scarcity be damned, that's not a player you throw the vault at.
Yeah stallion is right. If you could draft Jason Varitek right now, you'd give him a $5-7M bonus no problem.

And Weiters is considered to have a better bat than Varitek.

There is more to it than hitting. Varitek is an excellent fielder, a decent switch hitter, and a leader in the clubhouse. Anyone who says they wouldn't want a player who might turn into that is deluding themselves.

Of course......but skills wise, I dont think Tek's stats are considered to be his 'ceiling'. People don't talk about his leadership, they talk about his bat and arm.

Archived