Roch Article-Wieters

Ripken23

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't know much about Wieters. Is this kid gonna be the next Joe Mauer or something?

Where were you back in June when everyone was hailing him as the savior of our organization? ;)

He's a guy who could be ready for the majors as early as next year (potentially). People were comparing him more to Jason Varitek than Joe Mauer, but probably with more power.

Ok no offense, but if this guy tops out as a Jason Varitek, then I do not agree with "giving him whatever he wants."

He was the best offensive catcher in the draft. He's 6'5", switch hitter, great hitter, great power, and good defense. If the FO didn't think that he was worth going all out to sign, then they completely wasted the pick.

Ok no offense, but if this guy tops out as a Jason Varitek, then I do not agree with "giving him whatever he wants."

Jason Varitek is just a comparison. The way he's being hyped, he'll probably have a far better career than Varitek. He was also rated as the top position player in the entire draft this year; the only reason he slid to us was due to signability concerns.

He's a switch hitter too and both went to GTech.

He's supposed to have a higher ceiling than that though. I agree, you don't back up the brinks truck for another Tek.

Archived