ALWC Game 1 Attendance

DrinkinWithFermi

Lot of it is the combo of crappy weather and a start time that was not ideal for people who had to work. Add in short notice of start times and the poor second half of the season  the it makes a little more sense. That said still should have been a sell out 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, SteveO said:

Lot of it is the combo of crappy weather and a start time that was not ideal for people who had to work. Add in short notice of start times and the poor second half of the season  the it makes a little more sense. That said still should have been a sell out 

I was on a run and listening to the ESPN radio last night, and they specifically said that it was the lowest OPACY attended playoff game, and were pretty negative about it.  No mention of the time of day or anything.  I guess they can’t criticize ESPN or the league for wanting to monetize the broadcasts more than fill up the stadium.  At least they weren’t 1:30 local time games like Houston. 

Would have loved to be there, as I am a 10 season season-ticket holder, mostly the 29 game package, but with my work situation and getting married earlier this year, my days were out.  Working in Annapolis, by the time I could be out of the office and get there, over half of the game was gone. 

7 hours ago, Allan Bryant said:

I think the 10 straight postseason losses have/will continue their toll on O’s fans . When doubts and pessimism about the team’s performance, the empty seats could still be issue when next October comes . 
My hope is Rubenstein and Elias will conclude that status quo is NOT acceptable . 

It better not be. I will be willing to bet this team WILL NOT be back in the playoffs if Elias doesn't make significant improvements on this team and then as Tony has said now he is on the chopping block if this team takes a step back . 

https://www.masnsports.com/orioles-rss/some-wild-card-leftovers-and-lingering-thoughts-as-playoffs-proceed-without-orioles

Roch pointing out the lack of attendance in the playoff games and lower energy level from the fans that were there. Maybe the fans just matched the team’s energy level the last 3 months? They were lifeless and witnessed what happened in the WC all too often from July-September. They went 1-13 with RISP, had 2 real XBH’s, and 1 run in 18 innings. The Guardians scored 2 runs 4 batters into their series. The team gave the fans little to cheer for from July on - the attendance and energy level just reflected that and the general discontent that this year’s team brought, even though there’s no shame in a 91 win season. 

16 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

https://www.masnsports.com/orioles-rss/some-wild-card-leftovers-and-lingering-thoughts-as-playoffs-proceed-without-orioles

Roch pointing out the lack of attendance in the playoff games and lower energy level from the fans that were there. Maybe the fans just matched the team’s energy level the last 3 months? They were lifeless and witnessed what happened in the WC all too often from July-September. They went 1-13 with RISP, had 2 real XBH’s, and 1 run in 18 innings. The Guardians scored 2 runs 4 batters into their series. The team gave the fans little to cheer for from July on - the attendance and energy level just reflected that and the general discontent that this year’s team brought, even though there’s no shame in a 91 win season. 

I was there and there was nothing to get remotely excited about except for 5 minutes in the 5th inning. Stupid swings at the plate, lack of hitting in RISP. Cleveland scored more run before they recorded an out today than we did in 2 full games at home. Let that sink in. Our team is full of chokers that don’t handle pressure well or rise to the occasion. 

19 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

Roch is an idiot. Criticizing the fanbase at a time like now is ridiculous. 1 run in 2 games? Cmon man. 

Also, nobody asks for that stupid emcee to get the crowd excited, that’s strictly for tv purposes. 

1 hour ago, CTBear said:

Roch is an idiot. Criticizing the fanbase at a time like now is ridiculous. 1 run in 2 games? Cmon man. 

Also, nobody asks for that stupid emcee to get the crowd excited, that’s strictly for tv purposes. 

I agree with this.  It was a completely idiotic take to criticize the fans.  And Russo on MLB Network did as well.  Did those guys watch this team at all this year? They were under .500 for the last 88 games of the season.....the worst team in the AL East. 

These were the home series they played over the last three months: Chicago Cubs (swept and outscored 21-2), Yankees (lost 2 of 3 and needed two Yankee errors to walk off the last one), San Diego (lost 2 of 3), Toronto (won 3 of 4), Washington (split 1 of 2), Boston (split 2 of 4), Houston (split 2 of 4), White Sox (won 2 of 3 but lost last one 8-1), Tampa (lost 2 of 3), San Fran (lost 2 of 3), Detroit (lost 2 of 3). What is that, 15 - 20 in their last 35 home games?  And then they top it off by losing to the Royals 1 - 0 in the first game?  So fans are supposed to be excited and encouraged by that stretch of baseball?  

You want people to show up to games, play like the Padres. Don't have your prized prospects go bust, don't have your stars fall off a cliff, and learn how to play fundamental baseball instead of obsessing about each swing's potential exit velocity.